Author Topic: Got a new dog... Question for those who have two dogs....  (Read 2347 times)

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
Got a new dog... Question for those who have two dogs....
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »
A little update... They doing great now. Like you guys said, they have to figure it out, and it doesn't work well if we force it or try to expedite the process. We had them both on leash, trying to keep them apart until we felt comfortable with them. I think this was kinda stressing both of them out.

Anyways, right about the same time I made my original post, we let them out in the back yard off leash, and they started to figure it out on their own. We'd have to intervene every once in a while and establish our rules of play, but they both listen to us well. Now they're pretty much glued at the hips.

Thanks for the advice!

Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Got a new dog... Question for those who have two dogs....
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 09:55:16 AM »
Dogs have a pack mentality built in their genetic code. There is always the alpha dog(you) and a pecking order. When a new dog enters the pack a submissive dog will not put up a challenge. A non submissive dog will challenge the other dog or dogs to find it's place in the pecking order. And the existing dog in the pack will try to protect it's order in the pack if it is non submissive.

Sometimes when two dogs are introduced of the same gender they never get the pecking order hashed out and the fights can get serious.

The dog I just adopted is a Boxer and I was concerned that he would fight with my older lab. He is not fixed and that makes the male dogs more aggressive when it comes to other dogs. My older lab is fixed however. When I introduced them I kept them in separate gates so they could see each other. When I let them out together there was an initial confrontation that I had to break up but now they are doing fine.

The reason why I adopted him is because the people who had him also had two pit bull dogs. They all got along fine until they brought a puppy in the house. As soon as that happened the two pit bulls started attacking the boxer. He was pretty torn up and had to see a vet. His wounds have since healed and he is very happy here. The puppy changed the pecking order of the pack causing a fight.

Even though dogs are domesticated they still have these natural instincts built into them that are important to understand when introducing a new dog in the family. Even a new baby in the house will affect them. They can be aggressive toward the baby or child sometimes because their pecking order needs to be re-established. That is why you always be careful with new infants around your dogs.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »
What a great picture! I'm happy to hear things are working out.

muebe - very good points! Glad to hear your new pup is fitting in.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 12:42:58 AM »
Nice ending.Great pics all. Ours took about 2 weeks to get together,both females. As said,now glued at the hips....sisters now.Weve had up to 5 dogs at one time,so no problem handling more than one,except in the cases like muebe mentions.

Had a pit bull try to adopt me,he was real sweet,but my GSD wouldnt submit,nor he.After about a month of inconclusive non injury daily fights the pit dragged the GSD under the truck and did a number on him  ???.Pit had to leave after that,both males.

Another story,lived out in the boonies,same GSD,he was Black.Neighbor had a white GSD,both same sized dogs but for color.They would wrestle over the hills most every day,about 30 minutes,til one finally pinned the other.

Was like Spy vrs Spy in Mad Magazine. ;D
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 08:27:27 AM »
Glad it worked out well for you Grill Geek.  And nice photo of your Aussies. We adopted a female catahoula and it is not recommended to have two of these of the same sex in the home as they will become pushy and each strive for dominance. Good luck and I hope your two bond peaceably!