Author Topic: 5-way Cincinnati Style Chili  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
5-way Cincinnati Style Chili
« Reply #-1 on: March 01, 2014, 01:20:48 AM »
Feb 28 2014

The frigid weather we have been having had me hungry for some chili. Earlier this week I had it planned for tonight?  It turned out being 26 deg. today so could have cooked out but was set for chili.

Our son had lived in Cincinnati and loved the Skyline chili. They have restaurants all over so if you live close to a big city chances are one is close by. Cincinnati chili is completely different than any other chili. The standard is served over spaghetti, a 3-way they add shredded cheese, 4-way they add beans or onions and a 5-way is with beans and onions. They also have 4 kinds of Coney dogs and some burritos.

I made what was supposed to be a copycat recipe once but it was not close. While searching for chili a little different at Food52 I ran across this one by Savvy Julie for Cincinnati style that sounded like it might be close. I have never eaten at one of the restaurants but have bought their canned chili. It is all beef, fine grind and pretty runny with the sauce.

It was pretty easy to make compared to the way I usually do chili, taking 3 to 4 hours. You just throw all the ingredients in a pot, stir to mix, crumble in the ground beef, cover and bring to a boil. Then turn down to a slow boil for an hour or to the desired consistency.

The only change I did was use 3 ½ cups of water instead of 4. If I needed I could add water and still get it done for our 6:00 supper time. A half hour in I did a taste test, it was good but too watery yet so I added 3 tablespoons of tomato paste and thought it needed a tad more cinnamon so I added 4 or 5 shakes.

I served my wife the 3-way and I had 5-way. My beans were a can of pinto beans; I drained but left some juice, heated up with a little chili powder and cumin. I had baked a loaf of bread earlier to have with it and we both had a salad. We both thought it was really good!

My adjustments next time will be to use ground round and 1 1/2 lbs. instead of chuck to cut some fat since the way it’s cooked you don’t get to drain the beef. I think I will also try adding another ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of chili powder.

Link to chili recipe http://food52.com/recipes/15927-cincinnati-chili

Smokin Don

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: 5-way Cincinnati Style Chili
« on: March 01, 2014, 02:18:52 AM »
SD, your post are well, awesome. Many thanks for taking the time ;D

As always the correct amount of butter ;)
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 04:02:55 AM »
That chili really looks good Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 04:42:28 AM »
I normally like 3-way or 4-way (onions), but I'd be happy to eat it with beans.  It's amazing how much razzing I take when I tell people about Cincinnati chili.

P.S. If you are down there, try Blue Ash chili (the one in Blue Ash of course).  I like their chili a lot better than Skyline personally.  It is a little bit more savory.  Plus, they have a full menu of other items (burgers, diner style meal plates, sandwiches) if you are there with someone who doesn't like chili.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 07:15:43 AM »
Looks great! Even with the inclusion of beans.

Don I would be perfectly happy with a 3-way. I think most men would ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 10:06:41 AM »
I had the Skyline chili up in Columbus, OH once. I think it was the 5 way and was good stuff.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 10:11:07 AM »
I normally like 3-way or 4-way (onions), but I'd be happy to eat it with beans.  It's amazing how much razzing I take when I tell people about Cincinnati chili.

P.S. If you are down there, try Blue Ash chili (the one in Blue Ash of course).  I like their chili a lot better than Skyline personally.  It is a little bit more savory.  Plus, they have a full menu of other items (burgers, diner style meal plates, sandwiches) if you are there with someone who doesn't like chili.

My son said the same thing about Blue Ash but I never made it there. I never even made it to the Skyline in Lima and we shop there all the time. I do like the taste and over pasta for a change. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 10:24:16 AM »

My son said the same thing about Blue Ash but I never made it there. I never even made it to the Skyline in Lima and we shop there all the time. I do like the taste and over pasta for a change. Don
Don..don't do it..it's terrible..   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.   
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
Great looking plate.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pappymn

5-way Cincinnati Style Chili
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 11:26:38 AM »
Looks great SD. Love Cincinnati chili.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 11:43:33 AM »
I could go for a bowl of that, still a little cool outside here...

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 12:18:32 PM »
I dont care how you serve it in my bowl.  Just make sure my bowl is big.  It looks gooood.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
There is 1 way missing .
that's the way i polish it . ;)
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 05:56:10 PM »

Don..don't do it..it's terrible..   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.   

Assuming you are talking about the Skyline in Lima, I agree.  A lot of the Skylines are getting pretty bad, but the ones out of Cincy are even worse.  Food tastes like it has been sitting out all day.  Noodles are a big clumpy pile of crap.  At the one in Lima, the biggest crime was the cheese.  It was not even close to properly fluffy.  It was just a pile of cheese like you pulled it out of a bag.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS