Author Topic: Southern Creamy Butter Beans  (Read 2933 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Southern Creamy Butter Beans
« Reply #-1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:30:56 PM »
Mar 05 2014

This recipe was from Mary at Deep South Dish, that lady knows how to cook southern! I followed her recipe almost to the letter but I did it in a Crockpot instead of stove top. I had a nice hunk of double smoked ham in the freezer to use.

I soaked the beans overnight and wanted to get them on about 10:00 AM in the Crockpot on high for two hours and then simmer on low all afternoon. My dog was sick so had to get him to the vet for some medicine and didn’t get the beans on until about 12:30. I checked them after 2 ½ hours and the beans were not done so I left them on high. I was using the old style Rival pot and they don’t get quite as hot as the newer ones do.

While the beans were cooking I made some skillet cornbread using a Krusteaze honey mix. My favorite box mix is Miracle Maize Sweet but the grocery was out of it. I also cooked some rice to have with the beans.  I caramelized a med. onion to add to the beans and stirred in some flour to help thicken the beans. I added them at 4:00 and checked the beans, still not done.  I checked them again just after 5:15 and they were not done, time to change strategy.

I put the beans in a pot and got them to a slow boil with the lid off and let them cook until 6:45, they were not as soft as I wanted but they were eatable. Also if you do beans in a Crockpot and want the broth to thicken just barely cover them with liquid since you don’t get the evaporation like doing them on the stove top. If they get too thick you can add liquid.

My wife had some leftover pizza for supper, she don’t know beans are great! I served my beans over some rice with buttered cornbread. One thing that helped was I was finally able to get some Fat Tire Belgium ale to try. I loved it but at over $1 a bottle it will be a Sunday beer for me.

I always thought dried beans lasted a long time but looked it up and one place said a year. It said that some beans over a year old will never get tender no matter how long they are soaked or cooked. Evidently that must include Lima beans. I have never had this problem before and know I have used beans that were over a year old. Most places will say beans can last 10 to 30 years. I have enough on hand I think I will get them all vacuum packed as it helps preserve them. Then you have no idea how long the shelf life is at the grocery. I google it for info but could find no info on the shelf life. I guess you are never too old to know your beans!

Link to Mary's recipe http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2008/11/southern-creamy-butter-beans-large-lima.html#axzz2vDEt9O8e

Butter, onions, celery and carrots in the pot

Ham, chicken stock and seasonings added

Cornbread

Onions

A little flour added

Ham shredded and added back in

Finally done and creamy sauce

My Supper

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Southern Creamy Butter Beans
« on: March 06, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »
Don, that looks amazing.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »
Big fan of beans, many thanks and bookmarked ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »
Oh my gawd you had to show them beans with a Fat Tire and corn bread too, now you got my attention.  :D
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:01:28 PM »
Great looking meal buddy! The way our Winter has been, that tasty, warming meal would've been nice quite a number of times! Thanks for sharing Don!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 05:30:24 PM »
Even though they weren't as tender as you'd have liked, I don't think I've ever seen tastier looking butter beans.

Did you add salt (besides the ham) while cooking them?
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »
Looks good SD. I like most beans.....Lima beans rank up there with peas for me. But I would try your dish!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 06:52:48 PM »
That looks delicious Don and your photos are outstanding!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »
Again a over the top meal Don. :)
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »
Don,  I've been using her site for a long time and it's one of the best out there particularly if you're looking for Southern cookin'. She's down in LA---Lower Alabama city of Mobile. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 10:53:11 PM »
Looks good SD. I like most beans.....Lima beans rank up there with peas for me. But I would try your dish!

X2
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 10:58:28 PM »
Like granma use to make......I sure could use a bowl of that with a piece of that cornbread.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 08:12:59 AM »

X2

X3
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Northshore

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 10:59:19 AM »

X2

X3
X4
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »
Looks great, Don - ham and bean dishes are among my favorite comfort foods.  I don't make them nearly enough.