Author Topic: Struggling to reach target meat temperatures  (Read 5020 times)

Offline PongGod

Re: Struggling to reach target meat temperatures
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 01:12:08 AM »
Armed with this new knowledge, today's cook went much better than my earlier efforts. I think the #1 trick is to crack the lid on the cooker if the meat temperature is failing to rise sufficiently fast. Another, albeit much less significant, factor pertaining to the charcoal may be the size of the briquets. I just realized that the charcoal I had been using is probably 50% larger than Kingsford. What this means is that when I fill the basket with it, I'm actually not starting with quite as much total charcoal compared with what I'd have using Kingsford: smaller briquets = smaller gaps = more usable fuel.

For those interested, you can see the photos I've posted on two other threads about skirt steaks and pork shoulder vs. Boston Butt. On the agenda for Memorial Day, brisket attempt #5 and a couple of whole chickens.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Struggling to reach target meat temperatures
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 09:05:09 AM »
Looks like you are getting comfortable with your PBC, and making some great food with it.

All of the advice and suggestions that Noah and Amber have offered and written ( to the best of my knowledge ) are based on Kingsford blue bad charcoal.

Keep cooking!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401