Author Topic: Cooper's BBQ, Fort Worth Texas  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Saber 4

Cooper's BBQ, Fort Worth Texas
« Reply #-1 on: June 09, 2014, 09:03:48 PM »
I was invited to a meet and greet before the state convention started in Fort Worth last Wednesday that was held at Cooper's BBQ in the Stockyards. I've been wanting to give them a try since we saw them on an episode of Mystery Diners where a nephew of the owner was a manager selling their "famous" secret sauce to other BBQ joints. I didn't get a shot of the outside but here is one of the main dinning area.

They were serving us buffet style with brisket, chicken, and sausage with sides, so I didn't get to try the ribs

Here's my plate with my drink to show their logo and name.

The slaw was very good, not to sweet and the beans were tasty with a good spice bite. The brisket was pretty fatty and had sat and steamed to long so it was a bit mushy and dry even though they sloshed it around in the pan juices before plating it. The chicken was cooked well but tasted of nothing but black pepper and the sausage had a good flavor but was somehow rendered very tough to chew and the famous sauce had a good flavor but was very thin and runny. The highlight of the entire meal was the fresh made peach cobbler which was phenomenal. I would probably give them another try to see if it was just because of the buffet style and long wait if I'm in the area but I wouldn't drive the 90 miles one way to eat there again.

Sorry about the picture sizes, I resized them down and they still came across from photobucket that big and I haven't figured out how to do the little thumbnails that expand without opening in a separate window.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Cooper's BBQ, Fort Worth Texas
« on: June 09, 2014, 09:33:36 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I never know if or when I might be in that area.  Always good to have eating options.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 09:41:51 PM »
 buffet style meals are hard to keep everything just as cooked so I am sure if you where there as it was brought out and first in line it might taste better. Myself I love Chinese buffet style meals. I can eat fried rice and chicken till the cows come home.... :D :D :D

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 10:48:07 PM »
Their original location in Llano is un-believably good. Shame the one in the Stockyards does not measure up - it sounds.

My wife is NOT a big BBQ fan. Does not really like smoked meats much.
But, I took her to Cooper's in Llano last summer - and when she started eating - ...it was like a re-play of "that" scene from "When Harry Met Sally"......an old Rancher at another table was tippin'' his hat and given' us a wink and smile...I shrugged and said something like "It ain't me partner...I only wish she liked me as much as the BBQ...."

Then, she popped up off of the bench at our punic table - ran up to the cashier/manager and said" How big of a family or picnic package can you ship overnite to my office? Yep...it gave the wallet a BIG black-eye ;) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:50:47 PM »
I'm hoping it was just sitting to long in the pans and steamed out the goodness, of course it could just be a problem with trying to do to much volume for the touristas.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 02:57:42 AM »
Their original location in Llano is un-believably good. Shame the one in the Stockyards does not measure up - it sounds.

My wife is NOT a big BBQ fan. Does not really like smoked meats much.
But, I took her to Cooper's in Llano last summer - and when she started eating - ...it was like a re-play of "that" scene from "When Harry Met Sally"......an old Rancher at another table was tippin'' his hat and given' us a wink and smile...I shrugged and said something like "It ain't me partner...I only wish she liked me as much as the BBQ...."

Then, she popped up off of the bench at our punic table - ran up to the cashier/manager and said" How big of a family or picnic package can you ship overnite to my office? Yep...it gave the wallet a BIG black-eye ;) ;D

Tim - I know this is your neighborhood, but Llano is not the original Cooper's (though it is the best and most famous).  The original is in Mason, although they have been under different ownership for a long time now.  Tommy (the oldest son) left Mason for Llano years ago starting what is now the Cooper's "chain.".
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 07:46:12 AM »
 Yep - I had forgotten the Mason location. I guess having the son of the original owner running things can make a difference in the food.....Is the Mason location good also?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 08:04:25 AM »
Yep - I had forgotten the Mason location. I guess having the son of the original owner running things can make a difference in the food.....Is the Mason location good also?

No, it is a God awful embarrassment to the Cooper's name.

It's funny how things like this happen with family businesses.  Kind of like the Gus's Chicken restaurants with the original in Mason, TN not being part of the Memphis group...  What are the odds of both of those original locations being from a town called Mason?  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 08:26:48 AM »
Well - I suppose I was lucky in takin' the Mrs. to the Llano location.... Between Cooper's, and Enchanted Rock State Park, and Fredricksburg, she decided she wants to buy property there. ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »
Well - I suppose I was lucky in takin' the Mrs. to the Llano location.... Between Cooper's, and Enchanted Rock State Park, and Fredricksburg, she decided she wants to buy property there. ;D

Happy wife, happy life...

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »
Many years ago while traveling thru Texas we had dinner at a bbq hall somewhere,  the food was to-die-for! Sorry don't remember much other than the wait was long and the line zig-zagged thru stacked cases of Lone Star beer. The hall looked much like Robert's photo of Cooper's. Anybody have an idea of where I may have been?  I know sounds terrible!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »

Happy wife, happy life...

And happy T.... to be able to come home ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 12:08:08 PM »
Many years ago while traveling thru Texas we had dinner at a bbq hall somewhere,  the food was to-die-for! Sorry don't remember much other than the wait was long and the line zig-zagged thru stacked cases of Lone Star beer. The hall looked much like Robert's photo of Cooper's. Anybody have an idea of where I may have been?  I know sounds terrible!

Sorry that doesn't narrow it down much for me, there are a lot of places that could fit that description, it would help if you remembered what part of the state it was.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 12:09:19 PM »

You can't go wrong in the hill country, pack up and move on back home.