Author Topic: La Caja China  (Read 4341 times)

Offline Merrick Bill

La Caja China
« Reply #-1 on: June 30, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »
Anyone around here have a La Caja China or something similar?  I just got one and I'm looking for guidance and advice? 

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Re: La Caja China
« on: June 30, 2014, 05:21:31 PM »
I would go to their website where they have videos on "how to".  My neighbor bought one to use for his birthday cookout, with a whole hog he purchased already injected from a Publix supermarket.  He said you cannot go wrong using their instructions.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 06:18:24 PM »
 I have one and have cooked two pigs on it. A few butts, a turkey and some ribs.  One was 46lbs and one was 90.  I have the #3 model .   Start with a small pig 30-40lbs or even a few butts. It works very well.  Do not use to much charcoal as the meat will cook to fast on the outside.  A little charcoal goes a long way on it. You can move it around some and "shift" the heat.
 I would agree with watching the videos.  I got to see it done first and then when I got one I watched the videos as a refresher.
  Also make sure the meat is thawed out thoroughly.  The first pig was frozen when I got him and then the outside temp dropped into the 30's so he didn't thaw out enough and almost doubled the cook time.
 Marinate or brine the pig over night or at least all day. I personally do not like the Miami sour orange style. Just saying....  That's certainly up to you.
 Not all pigs are raised equally! You may have to search for a good supplier. Many have a taste I notice and just don't like. Sort of a metallic taste.
 A friend who raises them said its from some of the commercial feed. Once he found a better feed the taste improved quite a bit.   
 You should have fun with it and practice is always good.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:11:54 PM »
These are great roasters!
There is no charcoal or smoke flavor however.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:04:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I've been on the La Caja China website many times and have watched all the videos.  I did a test run this past weekend on a pork shoulder.  I followed the checklist from the website and it didn't come out so well.  The outside burned before the inside was finished. 

I'll keep trying, but I could use a little guidance.

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 04:17:43 PM »
My son in law, Brad, cooked on one when he was Executive Chef at Chateau Elan and he had a way of creating smoke with it.  Contact him at chefbczajka@yahoo.com and ask him how he did it.  He may have had a way of using the Amazn tube.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 04:30:36 PM »
Bill, Look at the charcoal on the pic I set. The guy that showed me how to use it said be careful of using to much charcoal for the reason that it will cook the out side to fast.
It gets really hot in there... 
I used mine pretty much just like the pic looks and came out fine.
 Like with a Gasser, you can put a piece of "pre lit" wood chunks  in the box and get some smoke on it.  Use something to get them off bottom a little. 

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 05:44:34 PM »
Bill, Look at the charcoal on the pic I set. The guy that showed me how to use it said be careful of using to much charcoal for the reason that it will cook the out side to fast.
 Like with a Gasser, you can put a piece of "pre lit" wood chunks  in the box and get some smoke on it.  Use something to get them off bottom a little.

Thanks TLG.  Do you have any idea how much charcoal that is.  How much do you add each hour.  How long does it take to cook a pork shoulder with that amount of charcoal. 

Everything about the Caja China seems to be geared toward whole pigs.  But I'd like to do a couple of less expensive test runs to learn how to use the thing before I go whole hog and cook a whole hog.

Bill

Offline Sam3

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »

Thanks TLG.  Do you have any idea how much charcoal that is.  How much do you add each hour.  How long does it take to cook a pork shoulder with that amount of charcoal. 

Everything about the Caja China seems to be geared toward whole pigs.  But I'd like to do a couple of less expensive test runs to learn how to use the thing before I go whole hog and cook a whole hog.

Bill

Bill, go to the La caja China website and click "cooking instructions". It will tell you how to cook rib roast, turkey, ribs, etc. 
yes, I own one and use it for a lot of different meats.

For smoking info, google "Perry Perkins AMZNPS". He did it and it works well.
I would post the link, but this site is anti-blog orientated. 

Best of luck.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 08:21:43 PM »
Thanks Sam. 

I downloaded the checklist and followed the instructions and got messed up.  It called for 16lbs of charcoal and that was clearly way too much since the outside completely burned before the inside was done.   I'm gonna try again on the 4th.  We'll see what happens.

Bill

Offline Sam3

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 08:32:54 AM »
Sent you a PM.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
Thanks Sam.

Anyone else have any thoughts before I begin my second attempt at pork shoulder tomorrow?

Bill

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 03:56:05 PM »
If you have not done so yet, email my son in law Brad.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
Don't remember for sure on the charcoal.Not more than a bag for the whole pig cook though.  Most videos I've seen use more than enough though. In fact I don't see how they get the results it looks like with the amount they use. Don't leave a pile directly over your meat. move that center pile around a bit.
 Also, you will need to dump the ashes once , maybe twice for a pig. Probably not with just a butt roast.
 Now you got me wanting to drag that thing out again!... 

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 01:42:35 AM »
Well, thanks to all your help the second run of the La Caja China was a huge success. Here are a couple of pics.

I used less charcoal and I positioned it as suggested by TLG.

Here's the finished product.  Not burnt this time around.

And here's a close up.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and support.

Bill