Author Topic: Spicy German style mustard  (Read 4717 times)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Re: Spicy German style mustard
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 03:30:50 PM »
Just got my bulk brown and yellow mustard seeds in the mail yesterday, and have them soaking in the ACV and beer as we speak!!

James cannot wait to try this, he is a mustard FIEND.  He was just giddy when I showed him your pics, and he said to tell you "THANK YOU SO MUCH"  before he even tries it, because he's afraid he might just weep with joy after tasting it and be unable to say thank you.   (He might have just a TAD flair for the dramatic.)   ::)  ;D

Will let you know how it turns out!   We're going to leave some of the seeds whole, since we both really like the extra texture. 

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 01:08:33 PM »
Well Don, you've got a fan for life in James!   He sent me a text this morning thanking me for making him the "BEST! MUSTARD! EVERRRRR!"   :)   ;D   Thank you for sharing your mustard adventures!  :)   

I did up a batch last night, following your recipe (we used Deschutes Black Butte porter, since it was on hand).   He ate a good quarter of the mustard  last night!   (He was just aghast that you suggested to let it rest overnight in the fridge.)  :)   He was putting it on crackers, ham, whatever he could get his hands on.  :)

Turned out VERY good, I'm excited to try some tonight on some brats!   Think this is going to be a common project at our place from here on out.  Can't wait to experiment with some other types!! 

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 02:28:08 PM »
Nice job Kat!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 05:33:25 PM »
I think yours looks better than mine Kat!!! Glad James like it too!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »
I brought some in to work today to have the boys here sample it.... I also mixed some in with a seedless blackberry jam, which made a REALLY tasty dipping sauce for the smoked ham I brought in for tasting samples.  (I didn't have any pretzels, so had to scrounge in the fridge for a vehicle to get the mustard into our mouths!)  The jam and mustard combo was definitely a hit-- great combo of sweet and heat, and would be a great sauce for ham. 

That mustard has a nice bite to it for sure, I might even cut back a bit on the powdered mustard a bit!   (Maybe I got a little carried away with my "HEAPING" teaspoon.)  :)

Have another gentleman at work here that says he's been making fresh ginger mustard at home for years.  Said he'll bring some in next time they make a batch.  That sounds pretty darn good to me!   

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 04:28:27 PM »
Got one picture of the blackberry jam/mustard mixture... sure was tasty!!  Now I need to make more jam to keep up with consumption! :)

This was a seedless blackberry jam I made last fall, so all that texture is from the mustard seeds!  Yummmmm! 

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819

Offline pz

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 11:33:46 PM »
Mustard is my favorite condiment as well, but I too have never made it at home.  I'll do so now!  Thanks for posting, Don  ;)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 12:11:20 AM »
The dipping sauce sure looks good Kat!!! Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline spuds

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 12:51:39 PM »
We are always looking for new things to make at home because we are cheap,LOL,but also more important love it isnt full of preservatives.Had my seeds for a while,but hadnt got around to it yet,had pantry mustard left to use up.

For sure we will make this recipe,thanks for sharing.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 12:37:23 AM »
Making it tonight,I got the same Beer Kat did.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »
Look forward to seeing it, Spuds!   We, too, have mustard in the pantry to use up still, but we got too excited and had to try Don's stuff. :)

Unfortunately, now James is turning up his nose at the store-bought stuff!  ::)  Will have to bring it to someone's BBQ and 'forget' to bring it home! :)
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819

Offline spuds

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 03:02:27 PM »
We are making the 3x size of 'the recipe'.Will waterbath 1/2 pints.

I too didnt have brown seed so for that portion made 1/3rd black seed,2/3rds yellow. Put in an Amazon order for brown,also some mace for slim Jims,in fact loaded up on some bulk spices,too expensive in those little bottles at the store.Especially as every day that goes by we find more and more of goodies to make at home that exceed store bought in so many ways.

Pics tonight.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 04:37:36 PM »
This looks like a great mustard!

All of the mustard pics are bound to force me into making a big batch of Guinness mustard... Similar recipe to yours Don, but it uses red wine vinegar and Guinness Stout, or any really dark mocha stout.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 01:14:36 AM »
These are the seeds after the soak.A 3X batch. I didnt have brown,so for the brown substituted 1/3rd black,2/3rd yellow.Also only used 1 tsp mustard powder,for first tries we always go a little light on spices.

Ground up and ready,used same beer as Kat did. Heated back up to make a hot pack for the waterbath canning,using 1/2 pint jars.

Canning supplies all ready...

Came out great.All jars sealed,1/4 inch headspace on jars and processed for 15 minutes,YOUR TIMES MAY VARY,use what is recommended for your situation.This works for us from what I read at canning sites.6 half pints to store,a half jar into refrgerator.VERY nice!

Makes a beautiful jar,and tastes great already,cant wait til it mellows a while.Some of this will be gifted to family.
Great info folks.Thank You!!This is super easy and tastes Great!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:27:53 PM by spuds »

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 02:30:09 AM »
Nice Spuds!!! I think some of you are doing better with the mustard than I did!!! Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi