Author Topic: Spicy German style mustard  (Read 4717 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Spicy German style mustard
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »
You need my mailing address? ;D
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
Nice work, Spuds!!   I'm excited to get to give some mustards as gifts this year too!   Was just given a recipe for roasted garlic mustard, I'm stoked to try that one soon too! 

With my batch, I used brown and yellow seeds 50/50, and mine darkened up quite a lot after sitting for a few days.  Curious to see what the black mustard does-- I haven't ever used black mustard seed before.  I like how mine mellowed out, though... seems like it's a tad sweeter and has a little less BITE than when it first came out.   I'll definitely be canning some too-- those half pint jars are a great size for gifts!! :) 

Don-- My grandma just celebrated her 93d birthday, and I was chatting on the phone with her last night about you!  I'd written my family earlier about my mustard adventures, and she was interested in how I got involved with it.  I said I'd been chatting with you on this forum, and that you were in Ohio and do lots of canning, cooking and fermenting, etc.   She grew up in a tiny little German Lutheran community called Frohna, in Missouri, and was reminiscing fondly about how everyone would make sauerkraut.  Cows were used for milking, and pigs for eating, so they had a lot of pork sausages.  She said when they sold the family house a number of years ago, they had at least a dozen old ceramic sauerkraut crocks in the shed ranging from 1-10 gallons, and just left them with the house!   

Was so great talking with her, and she was just tickled that I could befriend someone so far away and have that bring back such good memories for her.  :)
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 01:31:34 PM »
Look great Carl, well done ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 01:47:33 PM »
There's a lot of great looking mustard around here, time to do some grilling.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 03:58:21 AM »
Just tasted mine,was so good we tried it on a little piece of cheddar cheese.

That is,hands down,

the BEST MUSTARD I have ever eaten.

Mrs says SUPERB!

Great recipe,will make a LOT more of this.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 02:59:11 PM »
Bruce here at MAK loaned me "The Mustard Book" by Jan Roberts-Dominguez, and in there they had a roasted garlic mustard recipe which sounded delicious.   Of course I forgot the book at work, but  I was in a cookin' mood last night, so decided to use Don's spicy German style mustard recipe with some roasted elephant garlic thrown in.   

I knew I wanted to make some mustard this week, so on Wednesday I soaked 1/3 cup each of brown and yellow mustard seeds in apple cider vinegar and a honey bourbon wheat beer.  (It was all we had on hand!)     

I had the MAK going for a pie I wanted to bake (I was the multitasking queen last night!) so while I went to go pick blackberries for my pie, I roasted a full head of elephant garlic in some EVOO. 

After getting the pies assembled and in the MAK-turned-oven, I pureed the garlic (and the EVOO from the pan) until it was nice and smooth.

Then I dumped the other ingredients into the food processor and buzzed it for a couple of minutes until it reached the consistency I wanted.   I ended up adding a little extra mustard powder to balance out the added sweetness from the roasted garlic.   Made just a shade under two pints. 

I think the garlic was a nice addition-- curious to see how it tastes after a few days mellowing in the fridge!   Good thing James and I have a strong relationship, because this is going to cause some  NOXIOUS breath!   ;D
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 10:22:50 PM »
Great color on that mustard Kat!

Let us know how that vampire repellent tastes.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2014, 01:40:11 AM »
That mustard looks good!!!! Kat let us know how it taste Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 11:47:48 AM »
I had been wanting to try this every since Don posted it and finally got around to making it.  I followed the recipe and used Guinness extra stout beer.  Used yellow and brown mustard seed as the recipe stated.  The only thing that I did not follow was to allow the finished mustard fridge overnight after putting in jars.  Family was over and when I finished putting the mustard in the 4 oz jars they got into my Honey Ham snack sticks and emptied the 1st jar of mustard!  Honey Ham sticks dipped in mustard, thats what I'm talking about!  Wow.....that recipe was a big hit around here.  Thank you so much for posting it!  I will be making this again.  Not sure how a night in the fridge will improve it but will try another jar tomorrow.  Made 5 4oz jars with a bit left over for dipping out of the food processor.

4 jars going into the fridge.  1 jar is already gone!

Came out great!

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 01:01:49 PM »
Very nice,that sure is good mustard.Gave some as gifts and got rave reviews,folks really liked it.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.