Author Topic: FACTORS AFFECTING THE COOK....  (Read 5203 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
FACTORS AFFECTING THE COOK....
« Reply #-1 on: December 18, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »
I saw hal4uk post the following under the "Ribs and Sauce" thread. I thought it deserved it's own thread. There are a lot of things to consider - and many of us may just take them for granted. But there will be folks that could benefit from the discussion.

Ribs can come out drastically different, using the exact same methods, from one smoker to the next.
Ya just gotta figure out what works best with your smoker.

Really good point!!
We know that there are a number of things that affect the outcome our cooks when we try to duplicate them and especially on different equipment. Foregoing differences in the individual pieces of meat

EXTERNAL FACTORS
1. Weather - Humidity, wind ( and chill factor thereof), actual temp, barometric pressure (according to a friend that works for the forest svc.)

INTERNAL FACTORS
2. Airflow characteristics: each design and type of cooker differs in this department!  Too much airflow thru the cooking chamber may lead to drier meat - too little, saggy bark or rubbery chicken skin..What else?

3.Heat distribution: Even across the grates - or hot side/cool side? What do you prefer? This is a result of design of the cooker.

I just wanted to start this as a topic - please add to it, and offer your experience and opinion to round out the discussion, and knowledge base for all to share.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: FACTORS AFFECTING THE COOK....
« on: December 18, 2011, 11:12:44 AM »
Great thread T..now you are gonna get us thinking!!! :o

I dealt with heat distribution last night. I discovered on my new pit that I had a hot spot along with a medium spot and on the far left side of the pit it was lower than the right side. I covered the pit from left to right thinking I was going to get even heat distribution. Wrong!! I had the wings way undercooked and some darn near burned. I am gonna have to adjust the way I cook on this pit where I start on the hot spot and then move over to the cooler sections to rest while the other meat cooks. So uneven heat distribution might not be a bad thing after all!!

Weather also played a factor last night as well. When the charcoal was in the starters it was partly sunny. In no time at all it got windy,clouds moved in and it was dark and cold and pouring rain during the cook. I have a patio light but it got so dark so quick it was hard to see in the grill even with the lid up.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline hal4uk

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:54:32 PM »
What else?
Internal Humidity is also a huge factor which is affected by type of smoker (is it a water smoker?), the size of the load in relation to the size of the cooker as well as (already mentioned) relative humidity.  The effect of internal humidity is particularly pronounced with ribs.  In a dry cooker, a method like 3-2-1 might be crucial to good results, while that same method is pretty much nonsense with a water smoker.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team

Peoria Custom Cookers Meat Monster
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 07:10:06 PM »
Good points smoke and Hal! I will bet there are some more things we can think of.....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »
All good points but perhaps the biggest factor will always be between the ears of the cook.  Looking back on the few times I've really turned out something I wasn't proud of at best, or at worst something inedible, the problem wasn't my equipment.  It was a cranial-rectal inversion on my part.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 11:31:45 AM »
Also don't forget the temperature of the protein when you put it into the smoker. Is it still partially frozen? If that is the case then some parts of the protein will be done before the frozen part. Also the frozen protein will lower the temp of the cooker and prolong the cook time.

Stop peeking! Constantly opening up to grill or check temp sounds good but you are losing heat to do that. You can add 10 minutes or more to your cook time every time you open the lid to peek, baste, or check temp.

High, cold winds can suck the heat right out of your cooker. Make sure to try and shield them from the elements. A sheet metal wind screen can work wonders.

Electric smokers can be sensitive to extension cords. Make sure that you are using an extension cord that is rated HIGHER than the wattage/amps rated on your electric smoker. Not only can an undersized cord get hot and catch fire it can also cause your element to not get as hot as it should.

After removing your protein always take into consideration the carry-over temp rise that will occur. Pull the protein out 5 to 10 degrees less than your target IT temp. Larger cuts of protein will have a larger carry-over temp. That protein is going to continue to cook after removing from the cooker. You could end up with a overcooked protein if you pull at your target temp.

Do not carve, cut, or pull that protein until it has had time to cool down some. Carving a extremely hot protein will release steam, juices and flavor. You will have a cutting board full of juice and a dry protein. Be patient grasshopper and give it time to cool some before you start.

Finally remember you "Cannot undo overdone but you can do underdone". Don't shut down that cooker until you have verified your protein is perfect. Leave that cooker on so if you need to you can put it back in for a few minutes more to finish.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 12:00:24 PM »

What I am hoping we can do in this thread is to explore the hows and whys that these things happen. I think we all agree with you Hub- and it should be a foregone conclusion that WE are the largest determining factor - as the cook WE have the power to make ALL of the decisons - but those are based on a large number of factors, and the experience to understand WHAT influences the outcome of the actual cook. (see my first post).

It is not arguable that external conditions  do not affect a cook. It is not arguable that the cooking devices each differ by type, and have specific attribute or personalities.

Thus - the thread.....just looking for everyone's input and experience. So -  the "grey matter" *IS* the difference for sure Hub!

Muebe - great post! THOSE are the kinds of factors/influences that newer folks to outdoor cooking are looking for in terms of education and helpful experience for sure!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 01:19:54 PM »
Alcohol can affect how a cook comes out ::) ::)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:20:37 PM »

;D

Offline hal4uk

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 01:23:53 AM »
;D
Woaaa...  hold on boys...
Always remember that what I was just about to say wasn't anything like what I forgot to remember that I wasn't even thinking about until I did think about it which is why it so important, so I certainly hope you grasp the depth of the meaning, or at least the clarity of the vision. 
Fist bump
[burrrrrrrp]

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team

Peoria Custom Cookers Meat Monster
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 08:12:24 AM »
Organization is a key factor..personal opinion. When I take meat out to cook in whatever way I do it..I put protein on a tray..not just one tray..2 trays. I have a clean one underneath so that I am not dealing with the uncooked meat police. 1st trip in house gets rid of the dirty one. I have a pair 'o tongs, a small SS basket with s&p, thermapen and anything else I need so I don't have to make 27 trips for stuff that I forgot. This is a learned thing. Then it's cocktail time. Pam ★*˚°。°
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:14:35 AM by Pam Gould »
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »
;D
Woaaa...  hold on boys...
Always remember that what I was just about to say wasn't anything like what I forgot to remember that I wasn't even thinking about until I did think about it which is why it so important, so I certainly hope you grasp the depth of the meaning, or at least the clarity of the vision. 
Fist bump
[burrrrrrrp]

I think I have a hang-over...er headache from reading that! ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:26:03 AM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »
Better than having a Honkeytonk Hang-over!!

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven