Author Topic: Thoughts on Bradley or Masterbuilt smokers vs. pellet grill?  (Read 28580 times)

Offline Smokerjunky

Re: Thoughts on Bradley or Masterbuilt smokers vs. pellet grill?
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 03:03:24 PM »
I don't know anyone who owns a pellet grill and there don't seem to be any dealers (of any brand) close by so I'm having to do 100% of my research online.  Everything I find keeps pointing to Blaz'n Grill Works as my #1 and Rec Tec close behind in #2 position.

But I'm tight and it takes me a while to talk myself into spending that kind of $$$$!  :'(

It took me two years to finally pull the trigger on a pellet grill. I love my Grand Slam. I would even go so far as to say that if I had purchased the pellet grill before the Weber Summit I likely would not have purchased the Weber gasser. The Blazin Grill is, in my opinion an incredible pellet grill. With a set of grill grates you would not need a gasser (again - my opinion).  I could not be happier than I am with the quality and performance of the Grand Slam and I am sure the Grid Iron would be awesome too - I just did not have the space or need for a grill that big because of the Summit.

My two cents - good luck - I am certain that you will love whatever you buy
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 03:12:13 PM »

I've heard several folks mention the gathering (does that make anyone else think of the old Highlander Movies?) in GA...Are the opportunities to buy gear at that?  I sure would love to meet some of you in person for a $200 hotel room rather than spending $200 on shipping for a grill!!!!

If you stay at camp ground, there is no charge.  Plenty of bunks and mattresses.  Bring your own sleeping bag, blanket, pillow, teddy bear, whatever.  It can be a relatively inexpensive couple of days.  Check out the posts on the Fall Gathering.  All the info is there.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »
I have been looking closely at electric smokers to supplement my cookers for large cooks. I will most likely get a Masterbuillt, like Dee's. I have a friend who has one as well and really likes it.

But there is no way I would own one as my only smoker. They are just not versatile enough for my use.

One of the biggest complaints I hear about Bradley smokers is the operating cost, because the pucks are kind of pricey.

I don't know anyone who owns a pellet grill and there don't seem to be any dealers (of any brand) close by so I'm having to do 100% of my research online.  Everything I find keeps pointing to Blaz'n Grill Works as my #1 and Rec Tec close behind in #2 position.

But I'm tight and it takes me a while to talk myself into spending that kind of $$$$!  :'(

I can relate closely to that. I cannot stand wasting money unnecessarily.  I researched for a year before settling on a MAK grill. Yes it cost a bit more, but I am absolutely convinced it was worth every single penny. If I had it to do over again I would not hesitate to do it again!

MAK offers some features and accessories that no-one else has, including full sized upper racks that double their capacity.

One big reason for the price difference, that isn't immediately apparent, is the metal used in a MAK. All critical parts in MAKs, including the firepot, heat diffuser, drip pans, and all grates are made of 304 grade Stainless steel. The rest is aluminized steel with a 1200° powder coat finish. They will virtually never rust.

MAK's  PelletBoss controller is well known as the best on the market and have these unique features: It's programmable, offers WiFi capability, and accepts three food  temperature probes.

No one matches MAK's versatility with accessories. MAKs are also certified "Made in the U.S.A."

One hidden cost in most brands (when comparing price) is shipping.  MAK includes shipping in the price.

But, make no mistake; you will pay a few more $$$.

I sure would love to meet some of you in person for a $200 hotel room rather than spending $200 on shipping for a grill!!!!

I used to live in the Burlington area and work in Greensboro. The Gathering is not that far away for you and, like Art (ACW3) said, it cost nothing to stay there.  It's a great time and you will get to see a few different pellet grills in action! :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:13:25 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »
I have a Masterbuilt cabinet smoker and a Traeger pellet grill and if I had to choose only one I would choose the pellet grill.  The pellet grill is so much more versatile over a cabinet smoker.  As for brands I would seriously look at the MAK or the Rec-Tec, the only reason I went with the Traeger is because I wanted a smaller grill that can be used as my backyard grill and easily loaded up into my RV to take on road trips.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »
The cost of a room at the gathering is $ 0!
Actually you can give a donation but not required!
You can cook on pellet cookers, Lectric cookers & wood/charcoal & get your ear bent by advocates of each!   
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline BAM1

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »
Yep they're all my toys.  My Bradley is in my garage permanently vented out so I can make sausage in the winter months.  I've also added a Big Joe Kamodo that is the same size as a Big Green Egg XL.
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »
When I was in your spot I would have paid to have the opportunity to watch an experienced user cook on the units I was considering.  So I think attending the gathering may have merit for you.  I also think that you have (sort of) an invitation to stop by some members' decks.  Provide the meat and some sweet tea (or whatever) and cook/taste.

Get as much exposure to various smokers and pellet pits as you possibly can before you invest.  Be sure to evaluate if you are getting the smoke flavor you want.  Neither too little nor too much.  Your first-hand experience will be more valuable than others' opinions.

My limited experience—

1.  I made some darn good smoked meals on my Original Bradley Smoker (OBS).  I used a dual probe Auber Instruments PID (cabinet and meat probes) for exceptionally tight temperature control.  I rarely opened the smoker door during a cook, though.  The 500W heater is waaaay too slow at recovering the heat loss from door openings.  But you can set the smoker, go to bed and wake up in the morning to perfectly smoked meat.  I think the OBS with a PID is a better unit than the Digital Bradley.

Oddly, the Bradley doesn't make a smoke ring.  It may just be cosmetic but I like seeing it.

2.  I bought a pellet pit for winter smoking and haven't used the OBS since.  I may, one day, use the OBS for very low temperature smokes but if I had only one unit it would be the pellet unit.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »
I guess I will add to the confusion :D :

I think the very reason for pellet grills being the fastest growing technology in the outdoor cooking industry is at the heart of your quest. They use wood as the fuel. Most of us prefer wood or charcoal over gas for taste. And - if you add a set of GrillGrates to a pellet grill - you can easily sear in similar fashion to what a very hot gas grill can give you in terms of sear marks, and fast cooking. And - if you add an Amazen Smoker - you can use the cooking chamber for cold smoking or low temp hot smoking as well. Of course the middle temp cooks will be no problem either.

So - in short answer to your question. Pellet grill. Most universal. Widest usable/effective temperature range, and with the 2 accessories mentioned above - it really is the newest generation of Swiss Army Knives for the cook...Or maybe even a Leatherman pocket tool ;) ;D.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 09:53:29 PM »
I own and have owned several Weber Grills and smoker, Charbroil gasser that finally died and a Masterbuilt smoker. I liked the Masterbuilt
but wasn't getting the amount of smoke flavor we wanted. So I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain.  I also own 2 pellet grills the Grid
Iron and a Traeger junior. I ended up giving the Masterbuilt to my son who used it for 2 years before burning out the element. He really
love it as it was basically set it and forget it for him. Yes, please try and make it to the fall Gathering. You will get a chance to cook on
several different grills/smokers and get to know some of us "crazies"!  ;) It will be a fun time and the only thing you need to bring (besides
sleeping stuff) is a BIG appetite. If you don't get enough to eat it will be on you!  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 06:48:34 AM »
While everyone who has posted here has pretty much covered the topic, there is a point I think not yet made, so I'll put my 2 cents in.

I have owned a Bradley Original 4-shelf for a number of years.  It was my intro into smoking as I’ll wager it was for many others here.  The first thing you do with a Bradley is modify the heck out of it trying to get more from the unit.  The second thing you’ll do is fix things on it which isn’t so bad because it’s a very simple smoker, but things do fail.  I have replaced temperature sensors (2), removed the failed thermal fuse, and repaired the puck feeder twice.  It can, at times, make you swear.  And I used to smoke everything in it until I saw a photo of one engulfed in a grease fire.  I have since purchased a Weber Smokey Mountain and a MAK pellet grill so the Bradley gets used for mussels, salmon, cheese and jerky only now.  But even though it can be a PITA, I would not be without one.  It simply fills the low temperature niche beautifully.  I think you'll find that most who started with one will still have it years later.
For your everyday smoking of chicken, pork, beef, etc. you’ll be happier with something other than electric.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 09:22:01 AM »
But even though it [Bradley] can be a PITA, I would not be without one.  It simply fills the low temperature niche beautifully.  I think you'll find that most who started with one will still have it years later.
For your everyday smoking of chicken, pork, beef, etc. you’ll be happier with something other than electric.

+1

BTW, I put it in the back yard, not on the deck, when it's unattended.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 04:17:13 PM »
I replaced my Bradley with a Smokin' Tex. Got very tired of the issues, and - really did not want to spend a lot of money modifying a marginally insulated box. The cost was a wash.

It is not that Bradleys are '''"bad"...and I think it is an admirable - yet extraordinarily difficult thing they try to do....Give us a lot of features, pretty LED's and moving parts for the amount of money they charge. It is a real challenge. Some folks never have a problem with them...others - well...... ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 04:31:09 PM »
I'm just a backyard jack, but I have a few cookers in my arsenal including the 40" MES from Sam's Club (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/electric-smoker/prod7080346.ip?searchTerm=masterbuilt)

I like the way I can set the time and the temp and let it go.  That's for the days when i am too busy to poke and tend a fire.  It is big enuff to smoke all the meat I'll ever eat PLUS I can use it to make 4 big racks of jerky.

that's all...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 04:37:46 PM »
I own a Bradley 4 rack and really like it a lot.  But it does have it drawbacks and heat recovery seems to be the biggest issue for me.  Now I own many grills and smokers including a homebuilt pellet pooper.  All have there place at my house, my Bradley is mostly used for jerky and (soon to be ) for smoking sausage but if I need butts cooked I reach for mu SRG's or pellet pooper.

Would I recommend a Bradley?   Yes, if you live in the south and do not cook a lot of meat at one time or you need a good smoker for jerky/sausage       

But if you need a lot of room for butts and ribs go for a pellet grill or write me I'll learn you the ways of the SRG!!! ;) ;) ;)

OK going back to my little corner of the internet  :)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline KyNola

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »
I own a digital 4 rack Bradley, 7 years old, modified only with a kit so that it will hold 8 racks rather than 4.  The element in it is the original 7 year old element that came with it.  I also own a MAK 2 Star General pellet grill, #829.  At one time I owned #27 which if I recall was the second MAK ever sold to the general public.  Also, in all fairness and full disclosure, I am a Moderator on the Bradley Smoker Forum.  To try to compare a Bradley or Masterbuilt to a pellet grill is unfair.  It is like trying to compare a Yugo to a Rolls Royce.  They both will take you where you want to go but in vastly different ways.  I still use my Bradley but if I am smoking large quantities, I am going to the MAK.  If I want to cure and smoke bacon or sausages, I'm going to the Bradley.  Cheese and gravlax are going in the Bradley.  Grilling is obviously going to the MAK.

Someone mentioned that a Bradley won't produce a smoke ring.  That's correct it won't because the compressed wood pucks do not contain any natural wood impurities such as bark.  Won't pretend to bore you with the science behind it.  Conversely, a pellet grill will produce a smoke ring because the pellets do contain wood impurities.  A smoke ring provides nothing to the meat other than the ability to say "Oooo, look at the smoke ring!'

Someone also mentioned that Bradley doesn't have a specific section on the LTBBQ forum.  That's because they have their own website and Forum and choose not to be a sponsor on other websites.

Bottom line, if I can only choose between a Bradley/Masterbuilt or a pellet grill, I am going to choose the pellet fired one every time but then I would have to decide on which pellet grill as there are some out there I wouldn't tote home.  I learned that lesson the hard and costly way too. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:12:07 PM by KyNola »