Author Topic: Thoughts on Bradley or Masterbuilt smokers vs. pellet grill?  (Read 28582 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Thoughts on Bradley or Masterbuilt smokers vs. pellet grill?
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »
" To try to compare a Bradley or Masterbuilt to a pellet grill is absurd."

We do not believe on LTBBQ that there are "absurd" questions  asked - especially by folks that are new to outdoor cooking with these kinds of appliances - such as the OP may be. And - I think Larry's intent is to say that the word "unfair" could be substituted for absurd here - to state that it is very difficult to pick one - vs - the other when they are so different.....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ASEPguy

• GM ASEP
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »
I would have to decide on which pellet grill as there are some out there I wouldn't tote home.  I learned that lesson the hard and costly way too.

Would you be willing to share a bit more about your experience (hard lesson)?
Josh Gilbert

Offline ASEPguy

• GM ASEP
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2014, 09:36:20 PM »
" To try to compare a Bradley or Masterbuilt to a pellet grill is absurd."

We do not believe on LTBBQ that there are "absurd" questions  asked - especially by folks that are new to outdoor cooking with these kinds of appliances - such as the OP may be. And - I think Larry's intent is to say that the word "unfair" could be substituted for absurd here - to state that it is very difficult to pick one - vs - the other when they are so different.....

I completely understand; my interpretation of this statement was exactly as you stated here and I did not take any offense whatsoever.  I also understand the culture of respect in this forum and will do my best to honor it in my posts.
Josh Gilbert

Offline KyNola

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 11:22:20 PM »
I have modified my original post, replacing the word absurd with the word unfair.

As for sharing my experience with specific pellets grills that I learned a lesson about, I would rather not as I don't want to alienate some folks about the pellet grill that they paid good money for and like.  Trash talking a guy's pellet grill is about as bad as trash talking his dog, gun or favorite car or truck. ;D

Folks here have given you good advice on pellet grills.  Let me urge you to follow their advice.

I've done enough damage here.  I'll slink back over to my corner and read from afar. ;)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2014, 11:23:19 PM »
Like KyNola I have owned my Bradley for about 7 years and from my interactions with KyNola, Nepas, and a multitude of others I bought a MAK 2 Star General Wood Pellet BBQ Smoker-Grill.  Then a SRG, a Traeger PTG, and now a GMG Davy Crockett.  Many of us have known each other for years on different forums and have migrated to LTBBQ.  Each unit has their positives but after all is said and done over the last 7 years I have settled down to using my pellet smoker-grill for 95% of all my smokes/cooks.

Most of your questions were expertly answered by a wealth of members and the only thing I would add is that you should not sell yourself short.  There are good reasons why the higher end pellet grills cost are higher!  We all need to stay within our budgets but I would recommend you lean towards a quality pellet grill and controller.

Course I would recommend a MAK but there are many other manufacturers that are USA made and produce a quality product.  Good luck on your decision.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG