Author Topic: Dad's bday rigs  (Read 1648 times)

Offline fishingbouchman

Dad's bday rigs
« Reply #-1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:27:30 AM »
a little late as his b-day was in Feb.  He was sick, I got sick, vacations, work, ....  but we finally got to it. 

need something while I wait

I do them different than most

back to the ribs

A birthday we need something special

Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII).  called the beer hotline to register my car, 3hr road trip one way, picked up my beer, and hand carried back to the states.  Usually rated best beer in the world. 

my plate

Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Dad's bday rigs
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:20:58 AM »
Looks like it was worth the wait.  Damn fine plate.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Dad's bday rigs
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:23:10 AM »
Man, that looks good!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »

Excellent cook..even the hot dawgs. I love how they cook on an open fire, specially cut like that..and it holds so much more stuff too. Like the tortilla idea too.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:04:39 AM »
I love the ribs but I really think the beer is the star of the show this time!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Dad's bday rigs
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
Great looking meal!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:30:03 AM »
Wonderful looking meal - bet it was a great party!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:36:20 AM »
Glad all are well and enjoying some fine food and beer. All looks delicious and would love to have tried the beer. I like the dogs in the wraps. Nice photos!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:46:11 AM »
There ain't no doubt that some folks went to bed with smiles on their faces that night.  Anyone wake up and ask, "Y'all got any leftovers from yesterday?  I'm a little hoongry."  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »
Excellent ribs and never seen that beer before :)

Offline Scott6049

Dad's bday rigs
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 12:03:53 AM »
Great meal...the ribs look perfect
MAK Grill 2 Star General #1366 **
Weber Charcoal Grill
Old Gasser
Whoo Hoo BBQ
Let's get SMOKING!

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 02:11:00 AM »
an old post from another site. 

Smoker is cleaned and waiting for my return.  Did all the best local and close by attractions/site seeing last time I was here (Netherlands).  What to do now?  I know...Beer. 

Quick search on the net and find this...

top 50 beers in the world - ratebeer best 2012
Beer            Ranking
Westvleteren XII                     1st
Rochefort Trappistes 10                  5th
Westvleteren 8                     8th
Top Beers - Popular - BeerAdvocate
Westvleteren XII                    2nd
Westvleteren 8                     17th
Rochefort Trappistes 10                  23rd

Looked up Westvleteren and find the abbey consists of some thirty Trappist monks (Abbey of Saint Sixtus).  The only way to get this award winning beer is in person at the abbey and you have to make reservations…and how does one reserve beer?

1.   Log onto their web page for an Up-to-date Information regarding when reservations will be accepted, for which beer (Only do blond, 8, or 12 and only what they have on hand for that date), and how much beer can be reserved at any one time.  2 cases is all you are allowed. 
2.   At the time indicated, call the Trapist using the beer phone number (that just sounds cool)
3.   Then you can make an appointment (date and time) with the beer phone operator (sounds like a cool job), providing the license plate number of the car which will be used to pick up the order.  The car used will not be able to pick up beer again for 6 months. 
4.   Sampler sets (one blond, one 8, and one 12) can be purchased without any reservations.  Allowed to purchase two samplers (6 pack).  No reservations needed.  Available until sold out. 

I have nothing going on and the sampler sounds good (reservation line was busy all day so no case for me).  TomTom lead the way.  Through some farm land on a small one lane road where my little European car can barely fit.  TomTom, you sure this is the way as we just about get run over by a combine harvesting grain.  Three hours after we left Eindhoven, from behind the grain and corn fields appears the abbey. 

We parked the car and walked up to the Monk selling beer.  We only sell it by car.  You need to get back in your car and get in line.  OK. 

Even the bike riders have to get in line. 

Guess the monks have some renovations that they need to pay for.  To make some extra cash they are going to release a 6 pack of the XII with two glasses in the states.  But the special packs are available now at the abbey.   So I picked up my 6 pack of the mix and the special pack. 

The Monk tells us not to let the beer get above 30 degrees.  So I spent the next 15-20 minutes circling the parking lot looking for shade.  Finally someone pulls out and I grab their spot.  Across from the abbey was a café offering Westvleteren.  Had me a glass of the XII. 

Pretty good stuff but the best in the world….  Held back from sampling the blond and 8 as I was driving and figured I would behave. 

Came back to work and one of the guys was showing me a web site where the special pack was going for $300 bucks.  Why did I only bring my small suitcase?   Couple more 6 packs and I could get some serious BBQ goods. 

Buy Online At Belgian Shop !- The Sint-Sixtus brewery beers shipped globally from Belgium

Get back to the apartment and the local grocery store has the Rochefort Trappistes 10 on the shelf.  Picked up a bottle and it is in the fridge now waiting for me to return from work. 

Not bad stuff
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 03:56:43 AM »
Looks good including the beverage.