Author Topic: For The Older Generation  (Read 2868 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
For The Older Generation
« Reply #-1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:04:51 AM »
Checking out at the supermarket recently ,the young cashier suggested I should bring in my own bags because plastic ones weren't good for the environment . I apologised and explained that we didn't have the green thing in our day . The cashier responded "that's our problem today , your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generation!"
She was right about 1 thing we didn't have the green thing in our day,so what did we have ?
After some reflection and Soul searching on our day ,here's what I remembered .
Back then we returned milk bottles , fizzy pop and beer bottles to the store and the store returned them to the plant ,where the bottles were washed sterilised and refilled , so the same bottles were being reused repeatedly so they were recycled . But we didn't have the green thing !

Back then groceries where packed in paper bags, not plastic ones. Once home and empty they provided hours of entertainment for the  cat.  ;)
But we didn't have the green thing !

We walked upstairs ,because we didn't have escalators and lifts in every store or office buildings,we walked to the shops and didn't climb into a 300 horse powered machine ,every time we wanted to go two streets away. She was right we didn't have the green thing in our day !

Back then we washed the babies nappies ,we didn't have the throw away kind . We dried our clothes on a line ,not on a energy gobbling machine burning 240 volts ......wind and solar power really did dry our clothes !
Kids got hand me downs from their brothers or sisters and not brand new clothing every time. But she was right we didn't have the green thing in our day .

Back then we had 1 tv or radio in the house , not a tv in every room ,and the tv had a small screen the size of a handkerchief not a screen the size of Wales !
In the kitchen we blended or stirred by hand , we didn't have electric machines doing everything for us.
When we packed a parcel for posting it was wrapped in old newspapers , to protect them ,not styrofoam or bubble wrap .
Back then we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol just to cut the grass , we used a push mower that ran on human power,we exercised by working so we didn't need to go to the gym or health club to go on a treadmill run on electric ,but she's right we didn't have the green thing.
Back then we drunk from a fountain when we were thirsty ,instead of using a plastic cup or bottle every time we needed a drink. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying new ones , and we replaced blades of a razor instead of throwing away when they went blunt, but we didn't have the green thing back then.
Back then people took buses and kids took their bikes to school or walked instead of mum being a 24 hr taxi service.
We had only 1 electrical outlet in each room not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances, and we didn't need a computerised gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellite 2,000 miles away in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad that the current generation laments how wasteful we older folk were just because we didn't do the green thing !!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: For The Older Generation
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:08:42 AM »
Excellent - well said! May I share your comments (with credit to you) with others?

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:14:25 AM »
Excellent - well said! May I share your comments (with credit to you) with others?

Yes you may as the comments are not mine but express how I feel.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »
I remembered all the things you talked about.  I like it.  Well said partner.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:24:35 AM »
A-Freaking-Men
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

For The Older Generation
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 11:03:13 AM »
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »
I remembered all the things you talked about.  I like it.  Well said partner.

X2 ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 11:10:12 AM »
Well said.  Sort of reminds me of the statement Ronald Reagan made when as governor of California and he met with a  group of protesters who derisively told him he didn't understand the younger generation.  The protester then went on saying how his generation had all these technologies and things that Reagan's didn't have and as a result didn't understand what it was like.

Reagan then calmly responded, "Who do you think invented all those things?"

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 11:20:05 AM »

Reagan then calmly responded, "Who do you think invented all those things?"

Dee

Love it!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 11:20:34 AM »
Very well said. Today's entitled generation is so self centered they are entirety ignorant of what history has to teach us.

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »
All those thing plus a few others .....like drawing water from a well and washing on a wash pot outside. Ice box instead of a refrigerator. How about plowing with a mule instead of a tractor.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »
Very well said. Today's entitled generation is so self centered they are entirety ignorant of what history has to teach us.

So true, Narcissism seems to be an epidemic these days.  :(

<a href="http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201401/why-is-narcissism-increasing-among-young-americans">Why Is Narcissism Increasing Among Young Americans?</a>
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »

bravo
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 01:22:22 PM »
They are ignorant of history period.The failure of our federalized school curriculum.Now thats a real educational loss.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 02:35:40 PM »
Nice post Devo!
It reminds me of a quote by the former-infamous-former-governor of Pappy's state, Minnesota. The honorable Jesse "the body" Ventura once said, "Learn from history or you're doomed to repeat it!"