Author Topic: Cajun Turkey Jerky  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Cajun Turkey Jerky
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 12:11:20 PM »
Never tried making the turkey jerky. The stuff I have tried form the store has never impressed me. Is it worth the effort?

The effort was the same as when I use GB, I used Jenny-O brand turkey that is already ground up and comes in 1.25 lb packages.  When I use GB I use 96% lean already ground up also, saves time on the grinding part and less cleanup not having to clean the grinder.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »
Never tried making the turkey jerky. The stuff I have tried form the store has never impressed me. Is it worth the effort?

The effort was the same as when I use GB, I used Jenny-O brand turkey that is already ground up and comes in 1.25 lb packages.  When I use GB I use 96% lean already ground up also, saves time on the grinding part and less cleanup not having to clean the grinder.

I meant taste wise. I imagine the technique is the same. Is it a crumbly texture or similar texture to regular ground beef jerky?

Maybe I should just try making it to find out for myself. I make 5lb batches however and would just like to know if it is worth it. Don't see it being made too often.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 03:25:33 PM »

I meant taste wise. I imagine the technique is the same. Is it a crumbly texture or similar texture to regular ground beef jerky?

Maybe I should just try making it to find out for myself. I make 5lb batches however and would just like to know if it is worth it. Don't see it being made too often.

The texture of ground turkey jerky is about the same as GB.  The turkey is just a little bit more sticky than the GB, when I came to the end of each stick I had to use a knife to cut it off at the end of the tube.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
Cool thanks!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 05:22:01 PM »
Those look very nice LVC!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 07:16:44 PM »
Hey Cajun I'll trade you some new beer for some of your Cajun turkey jerky!

The beer is a seasona,l Flipside Red IPA.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 10:41:08 PM »
Hey Cajun I'll trade you some new beer for some of your Cajun turkey jerky!

The beer is a seasona,l Flipside Red IPA.

Okay, my next trip to Illinois I'll bring some Cajun turkey jerky and you provided the beer.  ;)
----------------------