Author Topic: How much smoke should come from the smoker box lid? - Good One Open Range smoker  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Subvet

I received my new Open Range and seasoned it according to the manual. Today I grilled burgers on it.
During the time I had the firebox lid closed I had plenty of smoke coming from the top spinner on the smoke box. The spinner was wide open. But I also had a lot of smoke coming from the lip of the smoker box on the front and sides when it was closed. This is my first smoker so I have no idea whether this is normal or if I just don't have a good seal when the smoker box lid is closed. Appreciate any comments. Thx.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:17:54 PM by Subvet »
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
did you have the damper open. Whenever I grilled, I would have it wide open so I was basically using the smoker chamber with the spinner open as an exhaust.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Subvet

did you have the damper open. Whenever I grilled, I would have it wide open so I was basically using the smoker chamber with the spinner open as an exhaust.

Yes, it was wide open. I had read you did that in your review. It cooled down some so I went out and looked closely at the smoker box. I think I didn't have the top grill in correctly and it could have cause a tiny crack between the lip and smoker lid. It shut much tighter after I messed with it some. I'll fire it up tomorrow and see if that was the problem.

Question about the optional SS shelf that hangs from the lip of either side. Does that shelf get a lot of heat transfer from the unit  to the shelf or does it stay fairly cool? I can see already I need a shelf or a nearby table to set things on.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
If memory serves me correctly they offer a shelve for the fire-box and one for the smoker box. Heat transfer is not bad since it is stainless.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Wood burning grills require a lot of air flow.
A little to moderate leakage doesn't hurt a thing.
If running to hot first cut down on inflow & if you have to reduce outflow vents last.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Subvet

If memory serves me correctly they offer a shelve for the fire-box and one for the smoker box. Heat transfer is not bad since it is stainless.

Thanks. From reading your Open Range review I got the impression that the shelf would work on both the fire-box and the smoker box.  Pretty expensive to buy one for each side.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline Subvet

Wood burning grills require a lot of air flow.
A little to moderate leakage doesn't hurt a thing.
If running to hot first cut down on inflow & if you have to reduce outflow vents last.

Called customer service at The Good One plant and they had me talk with the plant manager, Steve Perry.
He walked me through controlling the air flow and temperature. The dampner on this runs all the way across the fire box and that is used to control the inflow to the smoker box. Did a dry run today and it sat right on 225 for four hours with very little smoke escaping except through the top spinner vent. Learning a little bit each day. Thanks.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
So what was the cause of the leaking smoke?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Subvet

So what was the cause of the leaking smoke?

I had the top grate to far to one side and it was catching the lid just enough to make a wide enough crack for the smoke to come billowing out.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Gotcha. Your Open Range is going to treat you right for many years.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline 70monte

I recently bought the stainless steel shelf for my Open Range.  I chose the firebox one since where I have the smoker sitting, I can't turn the smoker lid around and I don't find it that difficult to deal with the smoker box in it's original position.

Wayne
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range