Author Topic: The M1 has arrived... :)  (Read 4660 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: The M1 has arrived... :)
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 01:15:56 AM »
While it might look "Hasty-Bake-ish" on the outside, it is a completely different animal  :thumbup:    This is quite a cooker.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

The M1 has arrived... :)
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2016, 08:53:18 AM »
While it might look "Hasty-Bake-ish" on the outside, it is a completely different animal  :thumbup:    This is quite a cooker.
Indeed it is a different animal. I bought Sparkys Hasty Bake Gourmet from him a few years ago. Cooked on it for about 6 months and sold it. This is absolutely not a Hasty Bake. For starters, I can pretty much control temps on the M1 just like I could my Kamado Joes.  Super easy!!!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2016, 10:53:28 AM »
As you already know I am very curious about your new M1 so I hope do not mind all the questions.
I know this pit is new to you but do you have any idea how often, when smoking with wood, you would have to add wood?
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline rwalters

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2016, 11:25:42 AM »
As you already know I am very curious about your new M1 so I hope do not mind all the questions.
I know this pit is new to you but do you have any idea how often, when smoking with wood, you would have to add wood?
To many questions?? This is a BBQ forum...many of us eat, sleep and dream BBQ. It never gets old :-)

When smoking with wood you can do it 1 of 2 ways.

1) Fill the basket 3/4 of the way with lump and then add a chimneys worth of burning lump on top. Get it going and throw a split of wood to the top. You can go for 4-6 hours with very little intervention. Maybe add a log here and there if you want to add more smoke.

2) Add ONLY one chimneys worth of lit lump to basket. And from there cook the remainder of your cook using splits. I find that I am adding 2 small splits about every 1-1.5 hours when cooking this way.

I am still new to the M1, so perhaps things will change a bit as I get to really know this smoker.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2016, 11:55:03 AM »
Starting the M1 sounds how I used to start our Land.  Get it going with charcoal and use wood for the cook.
The compactness of the unit and being a reverse flow is a major plus.

My wife and I have developed an dislike to the taste of charcoal and that is why I have so much
interest in your M1 and new wood cookers.   
Art

The Big Easy

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2016, 12:19:02 PM »
Does the M1 fire-box allow for good air-flow so you can a smaller hotter fire for a cleaner smoke profile??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2016, 12:25:52 PM »
Starting the M1 sounds how I used to start our Land.  Get it going with charcoal and use wood for the cook.
The compactness of the unit and being a reverse flow is a major plus.

My wife and I have developed an dislike to the taste of charcoal and that is why I have so much
interest in your M1 and new wood cookers.
I like charcoal, but the ribs I did the other day, with only wood were much better than charcoal and smoldering chunks of wood. Haven't cooked with straight wood in years. Forgot what I was missing.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2016, 12:29:04 PM »
Does the M1 fire-box allow for good air-flow so you can a smaller hotter fire for a cleaner smoke profile??
That was something that grabbed my attention when I lit my 1st fire. This thing allows for tons of good air flow. I actually ran much of my 6 hour rib cook with the intake vent 1/2 closed...and still had a hot fire.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »
I think I better start thinning the herd............. 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2016, 01:23:29 PM »
Because of its versatility it'll easily allow for thinning of the herd. It's got a pretty small footprint too, but a large cooking capacity, especially when you add the extended grate.  Don't get me wrong, there are other killer options available. This one just happens to be perfect for my needs.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2016, 01:54:16 PM »
Dang!! Those ribs and wings looks absolutely killer!!  Keep it comin'!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2016, 02:03:59 PM »
Because of its versatility it'll easily allow for thinning of the herd. It's got a pretty small footprint too, but a large cooking capacity, especially when you add the extended grate.  Don't get me wrong, there are other killer options available. This one just happens to be perfect for my needs.

Have you tried Kingsford in it yet? Wondering how the M1 can handle the high ash ouput...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »

Have you tried Kingsford in it yet? Wondering how the M1 can handle the high ash ouput...........
I seasoned it using a 1/2 basket of KBB...no issues. I figure if a Weber kettle can handle KBB in their lil charcoal baskets, then the M1 will have no issue whatsoever. Much bigger and MUCH more room for ash to fall through and fire to breathe.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 02:51:12 PM by rwalters »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2016, 03:05:46 PM »
Thanks for the info. The more I think of it, using Kingsford kind of defeats the purpose of using the M1. I think the flavor from split wood is second to none and many other grills and smokers will offer the same flavor profile of the M1 if only briquettes and chunks are the heat/smoke source............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2016, 03:32:06 PM »
I think the flavor from split wood is second to none
Exactly why I am so interested.  That and the small foot print with a reverse flow system. 

PS. BTW if you do not mind what was the cost of shipping, how and where was it shipped.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 04:25:23 PM by Savannahsmoker »
Art

The Big Easy