Author Topic: Expanded metal Home Depot  (Read 2416 times)

Offline tomcrete1

Expanded metal Home Depot
« Reply #-1 on: February 11, 2017, 10:57:47 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Expanded metal Home Depot
« on: February 11, 2017, 10:59:25 PM »
Good to see that on the label Tom. Just do not want to see anyone get sick.  I personally shun the use of  any non-anodized aluminum, or any galvanized, or zinc coated materials in a cooking chamber - or in contact with food.

DO they actually tell you what eh expanded metal is - on the packaging? I could not see any description of the metal itself.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 11:19:20 PM »
Tee, I'll contact Home Depot and ask for the metelurigical reports on this product. From a liable stance I doubt they would market this product with the advertising present unless it was safe. There liability would be to great.

Thanks for your concern

TH
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 11:28:58 PM »
I agree Tom - I can't imagine that they would allow a potentially health endangering product out on their shelves, nor do I think they would... I am more curious about it than anything. It sure looks to be the right gage for this application. Looking forward to seeing what you find. You may have a product on your hands - should you want to cut, bend, and ships a lot ;) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 05:49:47 AM »
Eh...we all took lead painted lunchboxes to school and most of us turned out sort of alright, lol!!! :P
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 08:11:07 AM »
IF, this was manufactured in China, I personally would not believe any reports of it being safe. Let's not forget the dog treats from China that killed dogs or the baby formula with toxic chemicals that killed babies over there. I pretty much think those were initially deemed safe! China's standards and ours here are not the same! Buyer beware!

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 09:04:21 AM »
IF, this was manufactured in China, I personally would not believe any reports of it being safe. Let's not forget the dog treats from China that killed dogs or the baby formula with toxic chemicals that killed babies over there. I pretty much think those were initially deemed safe! China's standards and ours here are not the same! Buyer beware!

Good point, I'm checking with Home Depot on this, at some point most of unknowing do trust China since the majority of what we cook on whether it is grilling or cooking in the kitchen is made over seas
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 09:44:37 AM »

Good point, I'm checking with Home Depot on this, at some point most of unknowing do trust China since the majority of what we cook on whether it is grilling or cooking in the kitchen is made over seas

Good luck with "unknowing trust" in today's world! Could it also be described as "alternative facts"?
Maybe the majority of what you cook on is from China, but fortunately for this household,  that is not the case.
On another note is this product galvanized? I ask because it also is stated on box to be used on gutters. Galvanized metal I believe is toxic to cook on. There are several other forums with quite a few threads talking of expanded metal. There are many types made from several different materials. Not all are food safe.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:55:49 AM by hikerman »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »
I have seen many a charcoal basket made from Home Depot expanded metal........we use a pc over the char-broiler at the Elks Lodge to get the cool sear marks.......watching this one..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline GG-STL

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »
GG-STL

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »

Good luck with "unknowing trust" in today's world! Could it also be described as "alternative facts"?
Maybe the majority of what you cook on is from China, but fortunately for this household,  that is not the case.
On another note is this product galvanized? I ask because it also is stated on box to be used on gutters. Galvanized metal I believe is toxic to cook on. There are several other forums with quite a few threads talking of expanded metal. There are many types made from several different materials. Not all are food safe.

"unknowing trust" and "alternative facts" not sure what you mean by that. I am in the process of contacting Home Depot about this  product until then i don't have any more details
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 11:12:14 AM »

"unknowing trust" and "alternative facts" not sure what you mean by that. I am in the process of contacting Home Depot about this  product until then i don't have any more details

Tom, you said, "...most of the unknowing do trust China."
Again my concern is not that you made something from expanded metal. It is that there are different grades, using assorted metals for use in different types of applications. Most are not food grade. Some are galvanized, which is kown to give off toxic fumes when heated. The wide and varied uses for this grade of expanded metal personally tells me it is not intended for food use. Right or wrong, my family's health is far more important than to use something used for animal traps, gutters, and screen doors.

And to touch on Smoke's comment about expanded metal being used in charcoal baskets. You're right of course, but again there are many different gades of this material, some safe, some not so. But one thing safer is in this use, any fumes in initial burn-off are outside. Where do you suppose those same fumes burned-off inside of your home from an air fryer go?

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »
Ok, I've spent 2 hours researching and calling Home Depot customer service. The info I received from my receipt and the info from there customer service is that this is bare metal it is the only type of expanded metal sold in the store that I bought it from. On Home Depots website i entered the skew and the info is vague there is a California warning on it which when you open talks about wood dust causing cancer not sure why that was on there maybe for the cardboard that it comes in? The best I can tell is that it is ok to use. I did submit a formal question if it is food safe on there website. BTW it does state on the box that it's American made
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 11:44:12 AM »
BTW it does state on the box that it's American made

If this is true, it's a step in the right direction IMHO. But does still not mean it is food grade material because it shows a picture of a grill.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 11:49:50 AM »
A few years back I bought some spoons from one of the biggest NE discount chain for tailgating.  I was worried & contacted them but they would not give me much info except to say they were safe.   Well out went the spoons.

I remember going to an adult toy show (no not the dirty kind) 20 years ago & a guy tried to talk me into a motorized Hang glider......The sales guy said they are perfectly safe.....I asked some questions. What happens if the motor goes out? The salesman said it was very reliable & even if it dies you float down. I asked what happens if a rope breaks he said there are three of them. He said look as I said it is 100% safe......I asked what happens if the engine starts on fire on ones back...After the pause he turned to another customer LOL.

I saw a kid get killed at Shea Stadium years ago by a flying lawn mower during a Jets game at half time

So Tom watch for those flying lawn mowers & Hang gliders landing on you with a flaming gas tank as you cook  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/lawnmower.asp

It always pays to check but enjoy your meals
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:34:04 PM by Tailgating is my game »
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle