Author Topic: Homedepot or lowes  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Homedepot or lowes
« Reply #-1 on: August 18, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »
I have a smoke tube and no pellets. Does either of those stores carry pellets for my smoke tube ?
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Homedepot or lowes
« on: August 18, 2018, 02:39:29 PM »
Yes both do.  Do you have an Academy Sports store they have them as well as  Ace Hardware
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 02:41:54 PM »
Wal-Mart sells them as well.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Roget

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 04:07:41 PM »
If you have either or both of these.....

Rural King #1
Menards    #2
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 10:26:30 AM »
I'm not so sure they makes pellets specifically for the smoke tube. I just use the same pellets I use in my MAK II Star. Now if for use with smoke tube only you can get 1 lb. bags on Amazon. Going through a 20 lb. bag in a smoke tube would take a very long time for me.
MAK #3591

Offline DWard51

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »
Wherever you go locally, read the package labels.  You would ideally want a 100% smoke wood pellet.  A lot of them have fillers like Alder wood (which is mostly a flavorless mild smoke wood).  So for example if they have 2 brands on the shelf and one says it is a blend of alder and cherry, and the other is 100% cherry; the 100% cherry will give you more smoke flavor for you money.  Remember pellets have a milder flavor profile than hardwood chunks to start with so the 100% smoke wood pellets will give the most possible flavor profile from a pellet.

Also some 100% smoke wood pellets are more difficult to initially get started than blended pellets, but just put some blended or say some oak pellets at the start of the pellet run (the part you light) and once going the remainder of the run in the tube or tray should be ok as long as you have adequate air flow.

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 11:28:24 PM »
In my local area, Co-op, Home Depot carry Bear Mountain pellets, which has Alder as the base wood. Alder has lower BTU's and produces a fair amount of ash. If you're smoking Salmon, it would be a good match, as that is the traditional smoking wood of the west coast American natives. If you're using an A-MAZ-N tube smoker or equivalent, you may have issues with keeping it lit when using lower wood with lower BTU's, as it doesn't generate sufficient heat, especially if it's not getting sufficient oxygen.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 06:45:36 PM »
both should.  Walmart does as well.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 07:09:45 AM »
In my local area, Co-op, Home Depot carry Bear Mountain pellets, which has Alder as the base wood. Alder has lower BTU's and produces a fair amount of ash.

Not saying your wrong, just that I have had different experiences with Bear Mountain Pellets. Maybe it's the design of pellet pooper I use and it is more efficient, I don't know. Alder for example in the PNW is a preferred wood for those that heat their homes with wood second only to Oak. Reason is higher BTU and longer burn time than other woods available. Granted that is for heating but BTU's are BTU's. When I buy the BM pellets I usually get pecan, apple, cherry and mesquite. All of which burn much cleaner than other brands I've tried, especially Traeger pellets. No doubt there are better pellets to buy but I have had great success with BM and until that changes see no reason to move on. Just another point of view based on experiences. In a nut shell trying different pellets until you find what you like is the key. :thumbup:
MAK #3591

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
In my local area, Co-op, Home Depot carry Bear Mountain pellets, which has Alder as the base wood. Alder has lower BTU's and produces a fair amount of ash.

Not saying your wrong, just that I have had different experiences with Bear Mountain Pellets. Maybe it's the design of pellet pooper I use and it is more efficient, I don't know. Alder for example in the PNW is a preferred wood for those that heat their homes with wood second only to Oak. Reason is higher BTU and longer burn time than other woods available. Granted that is for heating but BTU's are BTU's. When I buy the BM pellets I usually get pecan, apple, cherry and mesquite. All of which burn much cleaner than other brands I've tried, especially Traeger pellets. No doubt there are better pellets to buy but I have had great success with BM and until that changes see no reason to move on. Just another point of view based on experiences. In a nut shell trying different pellets until you find what you like is the key. :thumbup:

Dave, here's a BTU chart. http://worldforestindustries.com/forest-biofuel/firewood/firewood-btu-ratings/ You'll see that Alder is way down the list in BTU's, even way below Douglas fir, which is a much more used wood for home heating in my area than Alder,  just a tad bit north of you. I used BM for a few years because that's what was available to me. I've since moved on to BBQ Delight and now Cookinpellets, both superior pellets, IMHO. If you like BM, there's certainly no reason to change.  :)

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 11:19:43 AM »
I have used nothing yet but thought I would mention I ordered the charblend and 100 percent oak  from lumberjack for high temp cooks and I’m gonna use cooking pellets for everything else. I can’t wait to see which ones I like the best
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »
I have used nothing yet but thought I would mention I ordered the charblend and 100 percent oak  from lumberjack for high temp cooks and I’m gonna use cooking pellets for everything else. I can’t wait to see which ones I like the best

My wife LOVES Lumberjack pellets, they burn hotter. I like them but also like cookingpellets.com pellets but just for the Uuni I have. Other than that, I use cheapo pellets like pitboss pellets from wally world. I've used tons of different brands over the years and I will say that the better ones do burn better with less ash but I won't pass up a cheap bag either ;)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 07:47:45 PM »

My wife LOVES Lumberjack pellets, they burn hotter. I like them but also like cookingpellets.com pellets but just for the Uuni I have. Other than that, I use cheapo pellets like pitboss pellets from wally world. I've used tons of different brands over the years and I will say that the better ones do burn better with less ash but I won't pass up a cheap bag either ;)

SO when is that going to be legal in GA? ;) :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 09:55:05 AM »

Dave, here's a BTU chart. http://worldforestindustries.com/forest-biofuel/firewood/firewood-btu-ratings/ You'll see that Alder is way down the list in BTU's, even way below Douglas fir, which is a much more used wood for home heating in my area than Alder,  just a tad bit north of you. I used BM for a few years because that's what was available to me. I've since moved on to BBQ Delight and now Cookinpellets, both superior pellets, IMHO. If you like BM, there's certainly no reason to change.  :)

I stand corrected as I must of had a brain fart. In our area Maple is second a choice to Oak for home heating provided it is properly seasoned and because of availability. May not burn as hot as fir but burns much longer which for heat if it gets the job done using the least amount of wood as you can is a back saver. Well at my age it is. 
MAK #3591

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 12:23:33 PM »

I stand corrected as I must of had a brain fart. In our area Maple is second a choice to Oak for home heating provided it is properly seasoned and because of availability. May not burn as hot as fir but burns much longer which for heat if it gets the job done using the least amount of wood as you can is a back saver. Well at my age it is.

Brain farts are getting more frequent with me by the year. :(  Useable oak is almost non-existent here, but we do have maple, but probably not as much as in your area. Keep that back in shape!