Author Topic: The "Christening" of the Pit Boss Lockhart  (Read 367 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
The "Christening" of the Pit Boss Lockhart
« Reply #-1 on: February 11, 2020, 07:11:03 PM »
Today was the day, nothing fancy, just a quick test to take her for a test drive. My wife wanted to make a meatloaf, I didn't really want that but she's the boss ;)

We took a pound of lean ground beef, added some fresh diced jalapenos, tomatoes, onion and green peppers, garlic. Some egg action with a little bread crumb to firm it all up. Mixed in some Peppered Cow and took it down to the new kid to let it do its thing.

I put the grill on smoke mode and put the meatloaf in there for about 20 minutes with one of the probes stuck inside to monitor the meatloaf temp. I closed the lid and took myself upstairs where I opened the app on my phone to monitor the goings on. After about 20 minutes, I used the app to set the grill to 400 and watched the temp rise in the grill as well as the meat. The app shows me every time the auger feeds pellets and shows me when the fan comes on, that's pretty nifty I think.

Once toward the end, I went and glazed the meatloaf with ketchup on her side and my homemade chipotle bbq sauce on my side.

My honest review of it was just meh. I wanted more smoke and the meatloaf wasn't FULLY done despite the probe's reading. It was tasty but didn't get crispy. I attribute this to me "sweating" the meat on smoke mode and not having it hot enough to create the maillard reaction we all know and love :)

What I like to do actually, with meatloaf, is make it ahead of time and let it set in the fridge and THEN smoke it for a bit while cold. It takes on smoke but doesn't cook too quickly, allowing time to then raise the temp and get that browning it needs. Oh well, cooked last minute it was to be expected. We came THIS close to just going out and grabbing a quick bite but ultimately she made the executive decision to make the damn meatloaf, lol. She oven raosted some veggies and cooked up some potatoes in the air fryer. Overall it was a tasty meal but I can do better and so can the grill.

She gets a pass this round (the wife and the grill).

I am impressed with the features of it and can't wait to smoke some stuff on it, I plan on doing some ribs and chicken soon, that may be a better barometer.

Here's the meatloaf in all of it greasy glory :P

I dig the ash cleanout tray!

Even though I am a "seasoned" pellet grill user, every cooker has its nuances and I'll get her figured out soon enough.

That's all for now!

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: The "Christening" of the Pit Boss Lockhart
« on: February 11, 2020, 07:41:54 PM »
Rg I don't like meat loaf but that looks good to me...send me a plate please
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 08:48:06 PM »
Love meatloaf sandwiches the next day.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 08:59:03 AM »
RG - I wonder how the cook would have done if you had pre-heated the lower chamber to 350-375*, but put the meatloaf in the upper smoke cabinet for 30-60 minutes?  Not sure what the temp would be in the upper, but I thought the design allowed a much lower smoking temp in the cabinet.  Curious minds and all that...
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 09:30:37 AM »
Looks very good
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline RG

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 11:59:55 AM »
RG - I wonder how the cook would have done if you had pre-heated the lower chamber to 350-375*, but put the meatloaf in the upper smoke cabinet for 30-60 minutes?  Not sure what the temp would be in the upper, but I thought the design allowed a much lower smoking temp in the cabinet.  Curious minds and all that...

That's a fair question and I see where you're going with it. Maybe that's the way! The good news is that I have time and am willing to find the answer :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »
Looks good and a very interesting grill/smoker
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 05:31:27 PM »
I'm watching this.   I want to see how it cooks ribs and chickens and maybe a butt.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 05:33:45 PM »
Boy, there's nothing wrong with THAT "nothing fancy"!!!  :thumbup:
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 07:21:29 PM »

Just to clarify, yes the upper cabinet is lower in temp than the "grill" but I did have it on "S" which is smoke mode which was running 180ish, up top would've even lower though, so I'll play with that in due time.

Offline Pappymn

Re: The &quot;Christening&quot; of the Pit Boss Lockhart
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 07:01:16 PM »
Love me some meatloaf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109