Author Topic: Quick Question, Better Bite..........................  (Read 697 times)

Offline Hectilles

Quick Question, Better Bite..........................
« Reply #-1 on: July 03, 2013, 11:19:39 AM »
I've only been making fresh sausage for a few months now and I'm really happy with the results. But........ a few times now including this past weekend I have had the casings get tough on me. I buy my casings from a local butcher so the supply is the same, I soak them overnight which is what I have done every time, I run water through them, and they are pretty much stuffed the exact same way. But each time it seems the break/bite of the sausage is different. I know even though they are coming from the same butcher each casing is going to be different.

I have read a tip about soaking in vinegar for a half hour or so before using them and I'm going to try that this weekend. But I wanted to pick your brains to see if you had any other tips to make sure the casing is tender.

Thanks in advance.

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
Re: Quick Question, Better Bite..........................
« on: July 03, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »
I've only been making fresh sausage for a few months now and I'm really happy with the results. But........ a few times now including this past weekend I have had the casings get tough on me. I buy my casings from a local butcher so the supply is the same, I soak them overnight which is what I have done every time, I run water through them, and they are pretty much stuffed the exact same way. But each time it seems the break/bite of the sausage is different. I know even though they are coming from the same butcher each casing is going to be different.

I have read a tip about soaking in vinegar for a half hour or so before using them and I'm going to try that this weekend. But I wanted to pick your brains to see if you had any other tips to make sure the casing is tender.

Thanks in advance.

Could be a few things.

Sausage was cooked in a pan too hot and too quickly.
Casings were not soaked long enough.
Origin of casing.
Sausage was under stuffed
Add lemon juice or pineapple juice to the soak water (after you rinse casings inside and out)

Cooking a sausage can toughen any casing. To maximize the tender bite of a casing, cook with moisture. Prick sausage before grilling.

Some casings are tougher because of their origin. They are usually cheap. The tough ones are usually thick and opaque. Smoke cycles can also affect the bite of a casing. Humidity during the smoke cycle is very important to maximize a tender eating experience. Consult your smoke house supplier about the best smoke cycle for the most tender bite.

Salted Hog Casings:
For best results soak over night in refrigerator in water that starts out at 90º F (32.2ºC). If in a hurry, follow these instructions but understand that you may not get maximum expansion capacity from the casing. Rushing the soaking process can result in the casing being sticky and they may not slide easily from the horn. This can result in breakage and sausage that is irregular in diameter or too small.  Link Bratwurst's Additional Note: Flushing the inside of the casings allows better sliding onto and off the horn.  Open the end of the casing and dip it into the bowl allowing a bubble of water to enter casing.  Pull casing out of bowl and water bubble will follow down casing until it comes out the other end.  You can do this with a faucet as well.

The fast soak:

Rinse salt from casings
Soak in fresh water at 70º F (21.11ºC) for 1 hour
Soak in fresh water at 90º F (32.2ºC) for 1 hour
Place in fresh warm water 90º F (32.2ºC) at the stuffing table
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:48:55 AM by nepas »
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »
Wow...That was more than I would have known to tell you Hec!

But - that is why we have guys like nepas, 10.5, and few others here that are really good with making sausages...Lot's know to get form being the hack that I am - to being really proficient like some of the guys!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »
Yep Nepas pretty much covered it. Only thing I would add and I think he mentioned it. It could just be the animal that the casings were harvested from.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:57:29 AM »
What Rick said.  One of the main reasons for tough casings is understuffing.  Adding lemon juice to the soak really helps.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 09:22:59 AM »
What Rick (Nepas), TenPoint5 & Sailor said X3

Also...

You are changing the water after the initial soak (at least once), correct?

My initial soak isn't even really a soak as much as it is a thorough rinse.  I put the casings in water (about 90°) rinse them off thoroughly then rinse out using clean warm water and a small funnel, then into a fresh batch of water where they soak for at least an hour before rinsing out again and changing water for a second time.

Then...

Quote from: Hectilles
I have read a tip about soaking in vinegar for a half hour or so before using them

I too always use just a little vinegar or lemon juice in my final soak (several hours or overnight).  I find it really helps.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68