Author Topic: Ham Snack Sticks  (Read 6425 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Ham Snack Sticks
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 09:34:34 AM »
Dang Cliff!

Outstanding!!!!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 10:32:58 AM »
Them do sound and look good Cliff. You should give the recipe Sailor and I use a try. I think you will really like the ease of the whole process and the great results!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »
You should give the recipe Sailor and I use a try. I think you will really like the ease of the whole process and the great results!

Ironically, even though I'd never seen that method before, it's pretty darn close to how I'd been making them. The only real difference is instead of using Tenderquick & Brown Sugar, I used a Brown Sugar brine to cure slices of meat first. Otherwise the steps are the same.

To be honest, I wasn't sure how well starting with ground pork first would work, because I wasn't sure I'd get that "hammy" quality. It was truly experimental.

As it turned out, I really like these results BETTER. It cut out having to rinse and/or drain the meat, which saved time and avoided that really wet texture. I think it created a slightly denser product, and because all the ingredients get mixed directly in, it will be more predictable and easier to replicate.

I think one key factor though was allowing the mix to sit for a few days in the fridge to cure and develop some flavor before stuffing & smoking. Otherwise I don't think they'd have tasted as good & hammy.

Hey that's my dark-side-mad-scientist story and I'm sticking to it!  :D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 04:15:15 PM »
I generally go overnight Instead of the 4 hours myself.  Cutting into 12 strip makes it a lot easier to do the rinse and drain thing too

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »
I am not sure how much "flavor" the Tender Quick provides as I have only used it on bacon.  Personally I agree with Cliff that just grinding the pork butt would be much easier.  I was happy with the 1/2 cup of honey in 10 pounds and would use that amount again for a grind mix.  I would guess that the Tender Quick would have some salt and sugar in it as well but most would get rinsed off. 

Cliff would you be willing to provide the amount of Brown Sugar that you use as well as the amount of Honey?  I may give this another go round using ground pork and doing it your way and see what difference I can taste.  While the chubs that I made are really good I would like to reduce the amount of water that I got in the mix.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 03:36:36 PM »
Cliff would you be willing to provide the amount of Brown Sugar that you use as well as the amount of Honey?  I may give this another go round using ground pork and doing it your way and see what difference I can taste.  While the chubs that I made are really good I would like to reduce the amount of water that I got in the mix.

First, I used regular sugar with the Honey Ham sticks. I'm not a fan of mixing Brown Sugar & Honey; I think the molasses flavor competes with the honey too much.

I have some tweaks in mind, but here's what I used for this batch of Honey Ham Sticks:

5 lbs. Ground Pork
1 tsp Curing Salt #1 (Instacure #1, Prague powder #1)
8 tsp Pickling Salt
2 TBS Sugar (regular - not brown)
2/3 cup Honey
5 oz. Cold Water

Mix Salts & sugar with the water, stir to dissolve then mix in the Honey. Mix thoroughly with the meat, wrap/cover tightly and allow to rest in the fridge for 2 - 3 days to cure & develop a hammy flavor before stuffing & smoking.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:46:20 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
Member #68

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 06:10:34 PM »
Major nice,thank you!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 07:56:55 PM »

First, I used regular sugar with the Honey Ham sticks. I'm not a fan of mixing Brown Sugar & Honey; I think the molasses flavor competes with the honey too much.

I have some tweaks in mind, but here's what I used for this batch of Honey Ham Sticks:

5 lbs. Ground Pork
1 tsp Curing Salt #1 (Instacure #1, Prague powder #1)
8 tsp Pickling Salt
2 TBS Sugar (regular - not brown)
2/3 cup Honey
5 oz. Cold Water

Mix Salts & sugar with the water, stir to dissolve then mix in the Honey. Mix thoroughly with the meat, wrap/cover tightly and allow to rest in the fridge for 2 - 3 days to cure & develop a hammy flavor before stuffing & smoking.

Cliff, thanks for posting what you did.  I also am toying around with an idea of some tweaks.  I will do a 5 pound test run this weekend and see what it comes out like.  Like I mention in my other thread, I was happy with the taste but I was not thrilled with curing the strips before grinding.  Just way to wet for my liking.

Jim

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Ham Snack Sticks - Final Report
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 11:15:36 PM »
The Ham sticks were a hit on the bus ride for the H.S. band trip to Chicago.

I am really happy and will definitely be using this method for ham sticks from now on.
<><
Member #68

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 02:41:33 AM »
Good to hear Cliff!

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
Cliff

How do you think these would turn out if i cut up some country ham and ground it? I know the ham was cured with cure 2
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 05:24:31 PM »
Cliff

How do you think these would turn out if i cut up some country ham and ground it? I know the ham was cured with cure 2

Traditional dry cured Country ham, aged for months (or years), are very dense and have low moisture. If it's not been cooked, it might work. They'd definitely be salty (which country ham is suppose to be).

To preserve the traditional flavor I'd be careful not to add too much, if any, sweetener.

Rick, if you try it, then good golly...  get some pics to post! :)

P.S. You and your MIL are in my prayers, buddy!
<><
Member #68

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 05:39:57 PM »
Well those look just plain outstanding!  I continue to be impressed and amazed at the versatility and variety on this site - too many good ideas and not enough time to try them = high class problem  :)
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 11:30:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for the prayers for my MIL.

I'm going to try using one of the country hams. If it dont work i'm only out $5 and some casings.

Will take pics when i get to this.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.