Author Topic: My first sausage  (Read 4212 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: My first sausage
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 03:27:39 PM »
Great job, nice looking links.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »
You done good for your 1st batch.  Sausage making is a learning experience for sure.  I would recommend that you keep a log of what you did for each smoke so you can refer back to it and make adjustments for the next batch.  When you finally hit that home run with a batch you will have it all written down and can duplicate it time and time again.  The log is not just about what recipe you followed but the way you smoked them.  What type of wood, how long, the way you positioned them in the smoker, water temp, bloom time, etc.
More fine advice,well do.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »
I think you might have messed up with those Kielbasas spuds ... You better send them over and I'll take care of those scrumptious sausages  ;D ;D  ...  Great job!!
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 09:10:47 PM »
They look outstanding, would like to try one :)

Offline spuds

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 12:27:41 AM »
thank you all for the education and comments.Mrs has been sending me sausage recipes all day long she wants to try.

Nice having Mrs 100% on board for a new hobby we can do together.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline CANNON-MAN

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 11:18:55 PM »
Nice looking sausage. I would call that a double success when both spuds and his wife are both hooked.

Offline pz

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 12:25:16 AM »
Looks great, spuds!

Offline spuds

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 02:28:07 AM »
Nice looking sausage. I would call that a double success when both spuds and his wife are both hooked.
So true,Im very lucky Mrs and I are 2

PEA'S

In a pod ::)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 07:21:59 AM »
They look great, I could use one before I go to work...  The texture looks really good. For me that's  almost as important as the spices.
 Good job! 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 08:29:06 AM »
Looks great man!!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline spuds

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 04:46:38 PM »
Thanks to the sausage Pro's here all I did was do what they said.Bought the equipment and casing I was advised.Followed the steps laid out as they said.

Kielbasa sure is easy for a starter experience.If a total newbie can do this,so can you.Hope you will try if you can.

And nothing like success to make you confident to try more,I just plain dont have room to do all the cooking I'd like,just me and wife to eat it.

I too was surprised how good they turned out.Ate a lot of them unadorned straight cold out of refer,they were soooo good.Texture and crunch were really top drawer.

Like they say here....come over to the dark side,LOL!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 05:02:28 PM »
So true,Im very lucky Mrs and I are 2

PEA'S

In a pod ::)

LOL  ;D ;) ;D

Good for you!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 08:26:16 PM »
Looks good

Another sausage cranker in the bunch  :D
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline spuds

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 10:11:22 PM »
Looks good

Another sausage cranker in the bunch  :D
Nepas,you are a huge inspiration for newbies to try this.I appreciate all you folks for the teaching (insert applause here).

Always looked way beyond me just reading recipes.Pictorials made it attainable,in fact some just downright simple.

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2014, 08:48:57 AM »
I am still learning how to make good sausage, and so far, have done pretty good.  I recently saw a video on a sausage maker's site; they sell all the things needed to make sausages.  The video showed the basic methods and recipes to make sausage, and they showed pricking the sausages with a small needle device in the natural casings all over, and said that this was an important part of the process.  What do the more experienced sausage makers have to say about this?