Author Topic: Meteor Shower friday night thru early Sat morning  (Read 1630 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Meteor Shower friday night thru early Sat morning
« Reply #-1 on: May 23, 2014, 01:19:09 AM »
Should be good.
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/22/us/meteor-shower/

The scientists who discovered the cosmic debris say the Camelopardalid shower could be "significant."

Some forecasts show 200 to 1,000 meteors an hour between 2 and 4 a.m. Eastern Time on Saturday.

NASA says North America is in the best position to get a glimpse because the peak of the shower will appear during our nighttime, and the debris will "radiate" from a position favorable for viewing.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Meteor Shower friday night thru early Sat morning
« on: May 23, 2014, 01:27:05 AM »
Thanks for the tip and the link. This should be pretty cool! Hopefully we have clear skies.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 07:06:21 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Now it's just a matter of staying up late enough to actually see it :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 07:36:26 AM »
Should be one heck of a show.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 09:29:38 PM »
If you like showers dont miss this,its a rare one and quite unexpected.Put on just for us North American folks. :)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 09:32:41 PM »
Many Thanks Carl ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »
I will have to set an alarm to see this. I know if I tried to stay up......I would fail!  :-[   Thanks for the heads up buddy!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »
Thanks I will look for them!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 03:24:06 AM »
So we drove over to the lake,nice drive,a few miles from house.The campground in this area was closed,so we pulled off the road there.Tickled me,with the Jeepster parked there in the trees and the dogs looking out the rear open hatch,the lawn chairs,all that was missing was a picnic table and Coleman stove and lantern and would have been a picture perfect ad to sell 1967 Jeepsters.

We put multi colored LED flashies from DealExtreme on the dog collars so they can roam and have great fun,while we can keep an eye out and call em back if they get to far out.So they had fun.

Mrs made hot chocolate from the instant powder we get from the Mormon cannery,lucky us, one is close to home.Nobody has better hot chocolate than the Mormons,trust me.And anyone can shop at their canneries,very cool nice folks.She added a little butterscotch and Baily's  Irish Cream,man alive,was like drinking chocolate covered cherries  :P ,so we had fun.

Now the meteors,picture Linus and Sally waiting on the great pumpkin,we saw not a single one.After 1.5 hours we gave up as the clouds rolled in.

Then it was a nice leisurely ride home thru the mtn roads,very nice also.We just putt putted along in our major nice old Jeepster,wife,dogs (gotta love it!) as no traffic,not that there ever really is much up here.

We had a wonderful time. ;D

LOL,NASA can put mobile Robot laboratories on Mars,and cant time a meteor shower,strange World indeed. ::)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 04:11:13 AM »
Hi Spuds I see I was not the only one looking for the meteors! I was out at 1:00am and the sky was clear, a lot of stars out to see. Went back to bed and up at 2:45, I could still see stars but not as clear, no meteors! At one time I thought I saw some light for an instant a couple of times but then they may have been Keyestone lites!  ::) It's 4:00 am and I am off to bed. Good night all! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 08:49:02 AM »
I tried to keep my daughter up to see them but she was too tired. She made it to 10:30 :o

So I went to bed just after I got her tucked in.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 09:00:53 AM »
We set an alarm for wake-up at 1:45 am CST. We were sitting in our lawn chairs by 1:50, sky was perfectly clear and the stars were out in great number but,  after not seeing any meteors for 30 minutes we were back in bed like it was all a dream!
Did anyone hear why nothing was seen?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 09:22:40 AM »
We set an alarm for wake-up at 1:45 am CST. We were sitting in our lawn chairs by 1:50, sky was perfectly clear and the stars were out in great number but,  after not seeing any meteors for 30 minutes we were back in bed like it was all a dream!

This whole event reminds me of when Geraldo opened Al Capone's vault. Hours of waiting and nothing to see...
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 10:16:33 AM »
My daughter and I stayed up until 1am our time.  No showers.  The crown bottle is a little lighter buit  good evening.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:16:46 PM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline spuds

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 11:30:31 AM »

This whole event reminds me of when Geraldo opened Al Capone's vault. Hours of waiting and nothing to see...
LOL,but making an event out of it,still was a good thing.I would like to know what happened to the prediction too.