Author Topic: Thoughts on Bradley or Masterbuilt smokers vs. pellet grill?  (Read 28503 times)

Offline ASEPguy

• GM ASEP
Thoughts on Bradley or Masterbuilt smokers vs. pellet grill?
« Reply #-1 on: June 15, 2014, 11:44:21 AM »
Happy Fathers Day to all the dads!

I've been looking at different pellet grill options for the last few weeks and now I see the Bradley Vertical 6-shelf Digital Electric Smoker (whew - that's a mouthful) which can be had for about 1/3rd the price of a pellet grill.  I searched on here for "Bradley" and didn't come up with anything so that was my first red flag.  Actually it may the the 2nd...the first red flag was that I found the Bradley on the Home Depot website when I went to look up a replacement valve for one of my toilets  ???

Amazon has some good reviews of the Bradley, but only about 150 total reviews.  However on the Amazon page for this smoker it shows similar products including one from Masterbuilt which has over 1400 reviews with an overall 4 out of 5 stars. http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070910-30-Inch-Electric-Smokehouse/dp/B00104WRCY/ref=psdc44_t1_B000FJZ150_B00104WRCY

So I'm just wondering if anyone has used this type of smoker and what you think about them? 

I realize that they are smokers only and I won't be able to grill burgers/steaks, etc...
Josh Gilbert

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Josh, lots of ways to smoke & get a good product.
The electric vertical smokers are easy to use , major learning curve is to not OVERSMOKE !
The Bradley is a little more idiot proof.
You will need a second outdoor cooker with one.
A pellet grill can be your only cooker , more room, easier to cook ribs without cutting & briskets.
Much higher cost ???
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Re: Thoughts on Bradley or Masterbuilt smokers vs. pellet grill?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »
A bradley was my first smoker, guess they are good if you live someplace warm. It only has a 500 watt element so it takes a lot to get to temp. I modded mine to make it more efficient. It now has two elements and a small fan to help get rid of the hot spots. If I wa going to do it over again I would not buy another one or recommend them. Now there are others who just love them. Their customer service is top notch but with all the problems I have seen posting about them I guess it would have to be to help stop all the negativity.   

Offline ASEPguy

• GM ASEP
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »
Much higher cost ???

That's what prompted me to ask about the vertical smokers...I know that 99% of the time you get what you pay for but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask!
Josh Gilbert

Offline ASEPguy

• GM ASEP
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 12:07:52 PM »
If I was going to do it over again I would not buy another one or recommend them.

Thanks!  That's exactly the type of info I was looking for.
Josh Gilbert

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »
Here is a link to the Bradley Forum - http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/

I have owned a Bradley since 2009 and I like it a lot. with that said, what are you looking to do with it?
A Bradley is good for low and slow cooking. It is also good for smoking sausage - some say you have to buy a controller to get the tight temp control for sausage but many bradley owners use as is and are satisfied.
The Bradley runs on a 500 watt heating element. This can be slightly underpowered if you are trying to cook 4 large butts. It will get the job done, but take a while. Many have modified theirs and added a second element. Others have not made any mods and are completely satisfied.
Summary - it is a good unit for low and slow cooking. I can't say how it is unmodified because I added a PID controller and 2nd element from the beginning. With those mods I like it a lot.

I haven't used the masterbuilt but I assume that it also has its pros and cons.

I have not used a pellet cooker, but I think it has more flexibility - low and slow, higher heat cooking, and grilling.

I know I didn't answer your question in total, but you may get more info on the Bradley forum.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline ASEPguy

• GM ASEP
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 12:11:48 PM »
I don't know anyone who owns a pellet grill and there don't seem to be any dealers (of any brand) close by so I'm having to do 100% of my research online.  Everything I find keeps pointing to Blaz'n Grill Works as my #1 and Rec Tec close behind in #2 position.

But I'm tight and it takes me a while to talk myself into spending that kind of $$$$!  :'(
Josh Gilbert

Offline ASEPguy

• GM ASEP
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »
I have owned a Bradley since 2009 and I like it a lot. with that said, what are you looking to do with it?

My old gasser finally lost the rust war and I need something new...stumbled across pellet grills by accident and like the idea of being able to smoke ribs/chicken/brisket/shoulder/etc... and also cook burgers, steaks, and veggies.  The cost of the pellet grills made me wonder if I could get two cookers for a lower price and still be happy.  Maybe a Bradley type smoker and a Weber charcoal grill for example.
Josh Gilbert

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 12:25:56 PM »
Another option is the Big Easy SRG. You can grill, smoke, and roast with it. It makes the juiciest poultry (cook my Thanksgiving turkeys on it). You can do butts, chicken, grill steaks. Great for corn on the cob, baked potatoes. They are on sale now for about $165 delivered.

If I was going the Bradley/ weber charcoal route, I may think about the SRG/ Weber route instead.

I have a Weber gasser - used to grill steaks, etc; Bradley - low and slow smoker; SRG - poultry , corn, potatoes.

Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »
If you want to see a pellet grill (actually, several different ones) Hub (Lincolnton) has a Memphis and a Traeger, I (Morganton) have a MAK, Tim (Brevard area) has a MAK and a REC TEC.  Another way to see and get to cook on one is to join us at the Fall Gathering in Augusta, GA toward the end of September.  We usually borrow a REC TEC competition trailer with 3 REC TEC's on it.  A good time to met and greet a forum members and ask lots of questions.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline BAM1

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »
I have a Traeger pellet smoker, a Bradley 6 rack modified w/ a PID and 900w element, and an SRG.  They all serve there purpose and are used frequently for making everything from jerky to bacon to wings to pizza etc.  if I could only have 1 of these it would be my Traeger.  It can cook everything from steaks to pulled pork to pizza.  It can also go low enough to smoke bacon but that would be about the bottom end on temp range.  If I ever buy another pellet smoker for more capacity it would be a REC-TEC, Traeger, or Green Mountain in that orders
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 02:37:47 PM »
I have a Masterbuilt (actually two of them) and love it.  I like setting it and not having to mess with anything.  If you have an Academy Sports near you go and look at them there.  There are three types:  a 30", 40", and a big double door which I'll buy if I ever have to replace what I have.

What I'd recommend is getting a Masterbuilt (or Cajun Injector since they are the same unit) and a Char Broil SRG and you then have everything covered and covered very, very well.  The cost of operation is low also in that you don't have to buy as much wood or pellets.

If you want to spend the money the RecTec pellet is an outstanding pellet grill. Perhaps the best on the market---but you will get some disagreement.  We have four of them provided by RecTec when we have the Fall Gathering in September and everyone loves cooking on them and the results.  RecTec maybe the most economical as far as pellets burned per cook.

Good luck.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 02:39:11 PM »
Ok I own a Modified Bradley 4 rack and a Memphis Pellet grill http://memphisgrills.com

Don't own a Masterbuilt however.

First here is a link to my Bradley cabinet setup that I just recently built since my old setup did not survive the move...

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=9404.msg125666#msg125666

I use my Bradley mainly for cold smoking and making jerky, Lox, etc. The Bradley uses pressed wood puck to generate smoke using a small heating element. Does a great job at smoking and each puck lasts 20 minutes so you can easily control the amount of smoke by how many pucks you add to the generator feed tube. The cabinet is insulated but it only comes with a 500W heating element. People who live in cold climates might find issues getting up to temp due to the small element. Mine is upgraded to 900W so I have no problems. I also added a convection fan to mine for dehydrating and even temps.

My Bradley also has a PID hooked up to it. I can get precision control on the temps with it. Like when smoking Salmon it is important to bring up the temp slowly so it does not "fat out". You can program the PID to slowly bring up the temp over time to get perfectly smoked salmon. My pellet grill can not keep temps below 160F so this is where the Bradley excels IMHO.

My pellet grill is not a cheap model but it is all stainless, American made, and one of the best out there. Uses very little pellets so something to consider. Even though it is more expensive over time it will pay for itself in pellet cost savings. It cooks from 160F to 600F so it can grill and slow & low smoke.

The most versatile cooker out there IMHO is a pellet grill. If I only was able to keep one piece of cooking equipment of my arsenal it would be my Memphis ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 02:42:20 PM »
I have been a faithful Brafley user for years. Mostly used for sausage.

Went thru 4 MES POJ.

IMHO Why dont you look at TSM 30Lb digital. Has a digi temp prob and PID. Yeah a bit pricey. Its going to be my new smoker.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:26:46 PM by nepas »
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline ASEPguy

• GM ASEP
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
WOW!  :) I'm getting some GREAT info from you all on this forum - THANKS!  I have a confession to make - I almost didn't respond to the "activation e-mail" to join the forum because I was skeptical.  I'm sure glad I did it though - this a great forum!

BAM1 I love your avatar/pic, is that all your gear?

I've heard several folks mention the gathering (does that make anyone else think of the old Highlander Movies?) in GA...Are the opportunities to buy gear at that?  I sure would love to meet some of you in person for a $200 hotel room rather than spending $200 on shipping for a grill!!!!
Josh Gilbert