Author Topic: Bought a new trailer  (Read 5200 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Bought a new trailer
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 11:29:19 PM »
Please don't let Kimmie see this  ??? ??? ???  she will want one.

I have a hard enough time with the camper we have now

NICE BUY!!!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 11:48:08 PM »
Please don't let Kimmie see this  ??? ??? ???  she will want one.

I have a hard enough time with the camper we have now

NICE BUY!!!

Once you get into a 5th wheel you'll never go back to any other trailer, they are that nice and roomy. You could hual a whole bunch of cooking gear in one too.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 11:50:52 PM »
NICE!!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »
Once you get into a 5th wheel you'll never go back to any other trailer.

why?  are 5th wheels easier to tow?  I'm trying to talk my wife into a airstream trailer.  I like the old style to them.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 11:59:08 PM »

why?  are 5th wheels easier to tow?  I'm trying to talk my wife into a airstream trailer.  I like the old style to them.   8)

The amount of room in a 5th wheel makes a huge difference, especially if it has slide outs.  My 38 footer is a beast to haul, but considering its size and weight it tows rather nicely, of course having an F-350 7.3L Turbodiesel helps too.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline pz

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »

I like the Airstreams too - the retro look is nostalgic.  However, having slides, especially opposing ones makes for a huge interior space, one that an Airstream can't compete with.

The fivers tow more easily because the pivot point is over the rear axles of the truck rather than hanging off the bumper, which makes backing up a breeze.  It also makes towing much more stable - no more trailer sway when those big rigs speed past.

Your new rig is spectacular, scally - congratz!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 12:39:01 AM »
Nice Scally!!! You are camping in style now!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 01:37:56 AM »

The fivers tow more easily because the pivot point is over the rear axles of the truck rather than hanging off the bumper, which makes backing up a breeze.  It also makes towing much more stable - no more trailer sway when those big rigs speed past.

ty.  so a 5th wheel pulls and backs up better.  I did not know that.  does that mean that you have to have something bolted to the truck bed?  does it come out if you want to go get some dirt or fire wood?  do all 5th wheel trucks 1 ton trucks our can pull a 5th wheel w/ a 1/2 ton truck like my f-150?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 02:01:57 AM »
ty.  so a 5th wheel pulls and backs up better.  I did not know that.  does that mean that you have to have something bolted to the truck bed?  does it come out if you want to go get some dirt or fire wood?  do all 5th wheel trucks 1 ton trucks our can pull a 5th wheel w/ a 1/2 ton truck like my f-150?

Yes, you would have a 5th wheel hitch bolted in the bed - these are in two main forms - on rails or connectors beneath the bed.  Beneath the bed are significantly more expensive.  Both remove from your truck when you need to haul something like plywood.  My hitch is on rails, and when the hitch is removed (only 4 pins hold it in place) each rail (2) is raised off the flat surface of the bed by about an inch or less - no big deal in most instances.

Trailers and 5th wheels have come a long way - many manufactures are producing both that can be towed by the 1/2 ton trucks.  Depends on the age of the truck though - the 1/2 ton trucks of today can tow more than my 1996 diesel. 

My fiver is nearly 32 feet long from nose to tail, yet weighs in at only 7900 pounds dry.  I never carry water because I always go to an RV park (my better half insists on it), so my cargo consists of kitchen sleeping and clothes plus a few camping friendly items.  My truck hardly knows it's back there.  Look for anything called an ultralite (or ask for it) and you'll be on the right track

As to trailer, with a F-150 you'd likely need a weight distributing hitch if you purchase a trailer of any size, but again, go ultralite and you can be really happy.

One thing we have noticed is that the fivers are more designed for couples travel while travel trailers are more for families - so it depends on your needs.  Our fiver has a large bedroom with complete bathroom and queen size bed.  A really large living space is produced by two slides moving out on opposite sides of the rig - even has an electric fireplace that actually produces heat for cold mornings. 

One nice thing is that the manufacturers are now producing trailers more designed for couples - we're happy about that.  On the flip side, you can get fivers that have bunk beds for the kids - just about anything can be found these days.

Best of luck on your decision - RV-ing continues to be one of my favorite ways of vacationing

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 10:39:13 AM »
That's one good looking Mobile Home :)

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 10:54:01 AM »
Nice RV

Remember the longer it is the easier to back up.

We opted for the class A because we need to pull the car. Going to tandem tow the care so i can get a camo golf cart  :D
I also travel with no water in the fresh tank. 1/4 full in the black and gray tank with 1/8 cup dawn so when we get to the next park i just flush and have a fresh smelling black/gray.

Things to look for in a class A

We have a Ford v-10 gets 15 mpg, 7500w cummings generator, 3 slides, 4 hydraulic auto/manual level jacks, moen faucets, hydraulic slide outs (stay away from cable) convection/micro (no oven=more cabinet space) front and rear a/c with heat pumps, front and rear 45,000 btu lpg heaters, fantastic vents3 ea, day night shades, front auto shade, interior led lights, led awning light, led running lights, 2" receiver with towing package, 22.5" rims and HD GY tires, 3 door residential fridge/freezer, porcelain tall toilet, auto awning, ac/dc converter switching box so if the pole power goes out the generator comes on, kwickie steps and to much to list.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »
Nice RV

Remember the longer it is the easier to back up.

We opted for the class A because we need to pull the car. Going to tandem tow the care so i can get a camo golf cart  :D
I also travel with no water in the fresh tank. 1/4 full in the black and gray tank with 1/8 cup dawn so when we get to the next park i just flush and have a fresh smelling black/gray.

Things to look for in a class A

We have a Ford v-10 gets 15 mpg, 7500w cummings generator, 3 slides, 4 hydraulic auto/manual level jacks, moen faucets, hydraulic slide outs (stay away from cable) convection/micro (no oven=more cabinet space) front and rear a/c with heat pumps, front and rear 45,000 btu lpg heaters, fantastic vents3 ea, day night shades, front auto shade, interior led lights, led awning light, led running lights, 2" receiver with towing package, 22.5" rims and HD GY tires, 3 door residential fridge/freezer, porcelain tall toilet, auto awning, ac/dc converter switching box so if the pole power goes out the generator comes on, kwickie steps and to much to list.

Rick,
You didn't mention your smoke shack (the one you are using on your avatar).  Is that part of your "tow package"?

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »
Real nice trailer Scally. My son looked at it and said it must belong to a millionaire  ;D ;D ;D  I said I don't think so as he can't afford the gas to tow it. He said BUMMER  :D :D

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 12:52:36 PM »
Beautiful!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 06:49:09 PM »
Real nice trailer Scally. My son looked at it and said it must belong to a millionaire  ;D ;D ;D  I said I don't think so as he can't afford the gas to tow it. He said BUMMER  :D :D

HAHAHAHA!!
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer