Author Topic: We are hunkered down & food is in short supply  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
Re: We are hunkered down & food is in short supply
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2020, 06:33:31 AM »

For the most part I stay home but I went out for gas the other day for my pressure washer and stopped at the Redbox for a couple of movies.

Doing a good bit of cleaning of patio, yard concrete ad driveway with the pressure washer. Grabbed the movies 1917 and Knives out the other day.

Another project I'm working on is sanding and painting and old dining room set(heavy oak table and chairs)for the patio. Painting a couple of the chairs this morning.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2020, 11:51:21 AM »
Just paid $4.85 per roll for two large paper towel rolls. but we got them lol
That's crazy     What is this country coming to?

North America will be changed.  Anyone get the feeling there is something big happening that we all are not aware of?
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2020, 01:54:44 PM »
I think we are in the middle of an epidemic with a high rate of transmittal. I think it will pass. While a lot of people will get infected, the recovery rate is high and the mortality rate is low.  Granted, if you or a loved one is among the deaths, the rate does not matter.
We all need to heed the directions to self quarantine. These idiots in New York that were out playing basketball, filling the parks, etc; in Florida with the beaches open for spring breakers, late to close the malls, etc.; same with the Alabama beaches,--- do not help the situation.
I read today that the president is considering a quarantine around NY, NJ and Connecticut. I think this is a good idea as many of those residents are fleeing to less infected areas. If I was in that situation I would probably do the same, but we have to try to contain it. 
What does not help is the media. We have lost the level of integrity in journalism that we had in the days of Cronkite and Huntley and Brinkley. We now have 24 hour news channels, bloggers, and other social media outlets. We have many people (I refuse to call them journalists) that are has beens or never were, and take situations like this to try to make a name for themselves. So there is little concern as to accuracy, sensationalism, or outright falsehoods. The name of the game is to get headlines or airtime. You can see it with some of the questions at the Task Force briefings. Some are good, piercing, investigative type questions, others are structured in a negative way meant to illicit a negative answer. Regardless if you are a Trump supporter or not, I think the task force is doing a decent job with what the are facing and what they had to work with. The media and some politicians focus on the shortages. While shortages are real in some cases, a number of politicians are screaming shortages based upon what they think they will need not to what they need now. Until the supply builds up, you have to allocate based upon current needs and you can't give everything to NY.
One last point and I will quit my rant. That has to do with the hue and cry to impose the Defense Priority System (or whatever the official name is). Most of these people don't have a clue as to what it can and cannot do. I have spent 43 years in defense related procurement and had to have it imposed a couple of times on reluctant suppliers. Everyone touts "we should do it like we did in world war II. First it did not happen overnight. Secondly it was imposed on "like" industries.
Automakers made tanks and other vehicles, plane makers made planes, machine shop manufactures made machined parts. Converting non-related businesses took some time. So these people that think the President can wave a wand and ventilators will appear tomorrow are wrong. The task force did it correctly and solicited voluntary cooperation and many companies are stepping up. As in the case of GM, where cooperation is not forthcoming to the level needed you impose it. If there is conflict in the supply chain, you step in and allocate as needed. So I think they are using it correctly.
With that all said, have there been mistakes, yes. Could have some things been done better, sure. But it is easy to Monday morning quarterback.
The one thing that is going to be interesting is when the next bill is needed from Congress. When it was urgent, the House tried to add everything but the kitchen sink. Some things were good and added controls that were needed, but many things had nothing to do with the virus. Can't wait to see what they try next time.
Ok I am done with my rant. If I offended anyone, I apologize. But is sure was therapeutic for this shut-in, flatten the curve warrior.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2020, 04:24:50 PM »
I think we are in the middle of an epidemic with a high rate of transmittal. I think it will pass. While a lot of people will get infected, the recovery rate is high and the mortality rate is low.  Granted, if you or a loved one is among the deaths, the rate does not matter.
We all need to heed the directions to self quarantine. These idiots in New York that were out playing basketball, filling the parks, etc; in Florida with the beaches open for spring breakers, late to close the malls, etc.; same with the Alabama beaches,--- do not help the situation.
I read today that the president is considering a quarantine around NY, NJ and Connecticut. I think this is a good idea as many of those residents are fleeing to less infected areas. If I was in that situation I would probably do the same, but we have to try to contain it. 
What does not help is the media. We have lost the level of integrity in journalism that we had in the days of Cronkite and Huntley and Brinkley. We now have 24 hour news channels, bloggers, and other social media outlets. We have many people (I refuse to call them journalists) that are has beens or never were, and take situations like this to try to make a name for themselves. So there is little concern as to accuracy, sensationalism, or outright falsehoods. The name of the game is to get headlines or airtime. You can see it with some of the questions at the Task Force briefings. Some are good, piercing, investigative type questions, others are structured in a negative way meant to illicit a negative answer. Regardless if you are a Trump supporter or not, I think the task force is doing a decent job with what the are facing and what they had to work with. The media and some politicians focus on the shortages. While shortages are real in some cases, a number of politicians are screaming shortages based upon what they think they will need not to what they need now. Until the supply builds up, you have to allocate based upon current needs and you can't give everything to NY.
One last point and I will quit my rant. That has to do with the hue and cry to impose the Defense Priority System (or whatever the official name is). Most of these people don't have a clue as to what it can and cannot do. I have spent 43 years in defense related procurement and had to have it imposed a couple of times on reluctant suppliers. Everyone touts "we should do it like we did in world war II. First it did not happen overnight. Secondly it was imposed on "like" industries.
Automakers made tanks and other vehicles, plane makers made planes, machine shop manufactures made machined parts. Converting non-related businesses took some time. So these people that think the President can wave a wand and ventilators will appear tomorrow are wrong. The task force did it correctly and solicited voluntary cooperation and many companies are stepping up. As in the case of GM, where cooperation is not forthcoming to the level needed you impose it. If there is conflict in the supply chain, you step in and allocate as needed. So I think they are using it correctly.
With that all said, have there been mistakes, yes. Could have some things been done better, sure. But it is easy to Monday morning quarterback.
The one thing that is going to be interesting is when the next bill is needed from Congress. When it was urgent, the House tried to add everything but the kitchen sink. Some things were good and added controls that were needed, but many things had nothing to do with the virus. Can't wait to see what they try next time.
Ok I am done with my rant. If I offended anyone, I apologize. But is sure was therapeutic for this shut-in, flatten the curve warrior.

I agree Gus! Great post! God Bless you all
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2020, 04:52:22 PM »
Gus for the win!  Capitalism will save us not the government.

On a side note a woman somewhere in the US was charged with 4 felonies for coughing and spitting on over $35,000 of fruits and vegetables at a grocery store as she proclaimed she was sick.

Interesting times we are living in.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2020, 05:35:31 PM »
Gus for the win!  Capitalism will save us not the government.

On a side note a woman somewhere in the US was charged with 4 felonies for coughing and spitting on over $35,000 of fruits and vegetables at a grocery store as she proclaimed she was sick.

Interesting times we are living in.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup for Gus, and yup on Capitalism not government, will save the day!

Offline Lines

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2020, 09:34:53 PM »
You go Gus! :thumbup: