Author Topic: We are hunkered down & food is in short supply  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

We are hunkered down & food is in short supply
« Reply #-1 on: March 22, 2020, 09:56:47 PM »
I picked up $30.00 of food today as a test from shop rite. They had to sub three of the five things I bought.

Drove up to the store . Called inside, opened the trunk & a girl dropped the food inside.....sad way to do things but it works. Another person from our town got sick last. night'

Walmart & Amazon are out of most things that I want & what they have is much higher then it was the last two weeks.

The local store says not a lot of things are left so we shall see what Tuesday brings as I have a big order to pick up my stuff.

I put an order in for next week too but space is filling up fast & supply is low;

I am ahead of the game now but in two weeks I hope things get better in the supply chain.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: We are hunkered down & food is in short supply
« on: March 22, 2020, 11:09:18 PM »
where do you live?
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 11:48:50 PM »
I have to admit that this scares me a little. It's almost unbelievable to me the way this country has been brought to its knees, the greatest country in the world, the most abundant country. Really eye opening. I hope you stay safe and are able to get what you need. I have 3 freezers of miscellaneous things and a pantry with some staples but I do need to mind my levels so to speak.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 06:04:11 AM »
My wife and I stocked up a fair bit when I was home but now I'm stuck at work and can't help her. There is talk up here about shutting down the provincial borders to help stop the spread.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 06:25:52 AM »
I have to admit that this scares me a little. It's almost unbelievable to me the way this country has been brought to its knees, the greatest country in the world, the most abundant country. Really eye opening. I hope you stay safe and are able to get what you need. I have 3 freezers of miscellaneous things and a pantry with some staples but I do need to mind my levels so to speak.

Aright, Jason, stop and take a deep breath! You have to realize that the media is going to sensationalize this to be bigger and worse than it is. I'm not saying it's not serious because it is. Don't sit in front of the tv switching channels like there's a hurricane and you're checking every news outlet for the worst scenario of the hurricane heading toward you for a direct hit. I think the U.S. can sustain itself if there isn't massive hoarding by the majority. I'm sure preppers will sit back and laugh at those who are unprepared.
Maybe it's a good time to downsize portions and lose a little weight for many of us anyway.

BTW, my possum war is still raging as during the night I caught another possum in my yard in a trap which I've caught 46 of those critters with. If you want me to save it for you I'll try to do so. Lol....... For a suburban neighborhood it's crazy that I alone have over about 3 years have caught that many possums. Not long ago I was on the phone sitting in my truck in front of my house at about 8 pm and a raccoon comes across the street and walks up my driveway. About a minute or so later  four of them come down the driveway, cross the street and into the street sewer drain one house over. It's crazy! Then again in times of desperation it's a possible food source. Lol.......
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 08:50:43 AM »
where do you live?

GUS in CT. Central
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 08:52:38 AM »
Not good here in NorCal either. Long lines and bare shelves. Delivery services overwhelmed, meat and veggies scarce. Hope it gets better this week.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 09:08:09 AM »
This is bad & we can stop it more now then medicine. That may change soon but as of today it is not the feds or state it is us. I am just one person. But I am eating from the fridge first Freezer second (If the power gets cut), then the dry food & last the cans with the longest dates.

There is some flex in this system but the last thing I want is no power &  90% of our food supply is protected by power only.

I want people to laugh at me in a few weeks...I want to be wrong but IMO this is going to be a real bad week where the non believers will see how bad this.

I think we will come up with a cure fast but until then watch yourselves
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 09:24:24 AM »
This guy gets it!!!!! It is about us not the feds. I wont be in good standing when I post this on my marina site.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/miami-dade-closes-boat-ramps-marinas-after-photos-show-packed-sandbar/vi-BB11zpuh?ocid=spartandhp
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 09:25:51 AM »
Well Kimmie stocked up on a lot of thing prior to this going on.  I have food, ammp and pellets so Im good to go :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 09:33:55 AM »
Well Kimmie stocked up on a lot of thing prior to this going on.  I have food, ammp and pellets so Im good to go :D

Watch yourself a work. At a garage here they had a friend drive his own car into the shop & on the lift. The guy would not get in the car. Overkill maybe????

We got to stay away from all people period. I am under my own 14 days because I had an emergency at the dentist  two weeks ago this Thursday. Its tough when you have family & friends you can't see.

So lets enjoy this time at home getting projects done & getting away from the stress that can come from this. God Bless you all.
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 02:56:22 PM »
   We have a good supply of food here so far. It's not maybe what you prefer but I can deal with that.  Sam's Club had only one package of beef each person last Friday so I bought a brisket and cut it up. There was high end beef in at least 3 stores over the weekend though.
   If people will just be calm it would get better.  Buy what you realistically need for a week or two at a time.  Not two years worth of toilet paper...
 I have enough laying hens to hold out on eggs indefinitely. There are fat squirrels eating the scratch feed I put out so they could be dinner if they don't watch out.   I already have motion detectors around the chicken pen for 4 legged varmints. They will work for the two legged ones just as well.
  In my line of work 30%+ of the employees will be essential workers unless it just got extreme. Which I don't think it will if folks just stay home and be calm. All those in Florida this weekend piling up on sandbars just got all the ramps shut down and screwed the fisherman and family boaters up. 
  Losing power would be another thing entirely and I hope that is way out there extreme.
Once we get through this hurdle I think we should get prepared for it again in the fall.   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 05:36:15 PM »
   We have a good supply of food here so far. It's not maybe what you prefer but I can deal with that.  Sam's Club had only one package of beef each person last Friday so I bought a brisket and cut it up. There was high end beef in at least 3 stores over the weekend though.
   If people will just be calm it would get better.  Buy what you realistically need for a week or two at a time.  Not two years worth of toilet paper...
 I have enough laying hens to hold out on eggs indefinitely. There are fat squirrels eating the scratch feed I put out so they could be dinner if they don't watch out.   I already have motion detectors around the chicken pen for 4 legged varmints. They will work for the two legged ones just as well.
  In my line of work 30%+ of the employees will be essential workers unless it just got extreme. Which I don't think it will if folks just stay home and be calm. All those in Florida this weekend piling up on sandbars just got all the ramps shut down and screwed the fisherman and family boaters up. 
  Losing power would be another thing entirely and I hope that is way out there extreme.
Once we get through this hurdle I think we should get prepared for it again in the fall.

You are so right about the fall 1918 had three waves & the Russian one took a few years in the 1890's
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 05:50:10 PM »

BTW, my possum war is still raging as during the night I caught another possum in my yard in a trap which I've caught 46 of those critters with. If you want me to save it for you I'll try to do so. Lol....... For a suburban neighborhood it's crazy that I alone have over about 3 years have caught that many possums. Not long ago I was on the phone sitting in my truck in front of my house at about 8 pm and a raccoon comes across the street and walks up my driveway. About a minute or so later  four of them come down the driveway, cross the street and into the street sewer drain one house over. It's crazy! Then again in times of desperation it's a possible food source. Lol.......

Cajunate, I live in the middle of Houston (a pretty big city) and I have several families of racoons and a couple of families of possums that eat in my backyard. I'm going through about 140 lbs of dry cat food (which they love) a month. They also eat about 25 lbs of fruit loops a month. They are probably going to die of diabetes because of all that sugar. They are real fat. Jaxon and Albert were watching them eat one night several years ago and I tried to get them to adopt a few of them, but it was a no go. I even found a baby possum on top of my car motor when I was checking the oil the other day. I have been ordered not to harm any one of them so I can't harvest any to eat. I also feed the squirrels and white wing and mourning doves. The doves are so big, they look like pigeons. They would be good to eat, but again, I have been ordered not to harm them. Bummer!

Well, I went to Kroger's just to pick up a few items today and the shelves were stocked full with plenty of toilet paper, bread, milk, meat, and everything. Looked normal again. Not many people there so it was fun to shop. Maybe things are getting back to sorta normal. I live in hurricane country so I didn't have to stock up on anything when the pandemic hit and people started losing their minds. I stay pretty stocked up all the time with 2 refrigerators and a full freezer and a well stocked pantry. Got a standby whole house generator in case the power goes out. Got several hundred pounds of pellets. But above all, I've got 23 rolls of toilet paper and a washrag if the toilet paper runs out. I'm all set.

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 07:21:28 PM »

Aright, Jason, stop and take a deep breath! You have to realize that the media is going to sensationalize this to be bigger and worse than it is. I'm not saying it's not serious because it is. Don't sit in front of the tv switching channels like there's a hurricane and you're checking every news outlet for the worst scenario of the hurricane heading toward you for a direct hit. I think the U.S. can sustain itself if there isn't massive hoarding by the majority. I'm sure preppers will sit back and laugh at those who are unprepared.
Maybe it's a good time to downsize portions and lose a little weight for many of us anyway.

Nate, I know it's over sensationalized but I also think it's more serious than we originally thought! I have a friend in AZ that may have it. He got it from his brother, who came to their Grandmother's funeral sick (in Atlanta) and passed his sickness on to my friend and their mother!

So....it hits kinda close to home. He hasn't been diagnosed with covdi-19 but he has the symptoms. He can't get a test to see unless he gets admitted to the hospital, which is TOTAL BS!

I'll be alright food wise. I don't have to have primo groceries, I can survive on what stores DO have, which is enough to live on honestly. It might be oatmeal and ramen noodles but I don't see any of us going hungry any time soon.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!