Author Topic: Cures  (Read 20569 times)

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
Cures
« Reply #-1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »
Just thought i would share with y'all the difference in cures.

This is fine grain cure #1. LEM Brand found at Bass Pro, Gander and LEM site.

Bolners cure #1 is course grain. Same mix as the LEM Cure #1

This is cure #2. Don't mix this up with the cure #1 as you can see they are the same color.

Saltpetre 100% Potassium Nitrate. As you can see its not tinted and can easily be confused for table salt or MTQ

These cures cannot be mixed together

Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Barry CB Martin

Re: Cures
« on: March 04, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
So very helpful - thank you for taking time to post this.

Q:  My friend Lynnae Beth Oxley (Sugars BBQ team) tells me that when I read that bacon, for instance, is  "Uncured" it generally means not cured with  added nitrates/nitrites, something like these mixtures.  BUT it is still cured because they use ingredients like sea salt and celery which contain natural nitrates.  Any thoughts on this opinion and if it's pretty much accurate - do you have any experience with these techniques?   8)

Offline nepas

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »
So very helpful - thank you for taking time to post this.

Q:  My friend Lynnae Beth Oxley (Sugars BBQ team) tells me that when I read that bacon, for instance, is  "Uncured" it generally means not cured with  added nitrates/nitrites, something like these mixtures.  BUT it is still cured because they use ingredients like sea salt and celery which contain natural nitrates.  Any thoughts on this opinion and if it's pretty much accurate - do you have any experience with these techniques?   8)

I don't use the celery juice or powder.

Celery Juice Powder contains naturally occurring nitrites and nitrates (which breakdown to nitrites with the help of bacteria native in meat itself). Celery Juice Powder is now commonly being used for giving sausages and meats a cured appearance and taste without the use of synthetic sodium nitrite/nitrate. Since nitrates take time to convert ('reduce') to nitrite and there is no consensus yet for a suggested curing time per amount Powder for consistent curing action. Products using vegetable based nitrites/nitrates (such as Celery Juice Powder) must be cooked prior to consumption.

Bacon is one of the greatest foods on the planet, but the food marketers are going to figure out a way to make you buy their bacon.  So what they do is use celery powder and celery juice (note the asterisk on the label above) as their nitrate source (celery is loaded with nitrate) and are therefore are allowed to say no nitrites added.  Why go to the trouble? Because we don’t know any better.  Can we really be this stupid?  I have only one word to say on this beyond an emphatic yes.

The thing that irks me is the “no added nitrites or nitrates” as if the fact that they’re adding celery powder means nothing.  Or “uncured” even though they are obviously “curing” with celery powder.  It is false, misleading, and playing off of people’s food fears to market their cured product that is loaded with nitrates. 
Flint

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 03:26:20 PM »
As a point if interest, here's an example of Cure #1 (6.25% sodium nitrite) that's not tinted pink.  Instead it has red flecks added to it.

This manufacture just recently switched over to an all pink tint.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
And I  must add the Morton line up of cures. Morton tenderquick and Morton sugar cures. They need to be followed with their own set of directions.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »

Barry, here's an experiment & write-up I did this past Fall on the subject:  Curing Sausage with Celery Juice - the experiment

I totally agree with nepas on the Celery Juice curing.  It's very misleading to say "no nitrites/nitrates added."   "Added"  being the operative word meaning not added as a specific ingredient.  It's much like the "No MSG added" hoax going on (but that's a whole other topic).

Cliff
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:46:51 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Cures
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »
Nepas is the resident mad scientist. Most of the time I have no idea what he is saying.....but the pictures look great ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »

Barry, here's an experiment & write-up I did this past Fall on the subject:  Curing Sausage with Celery Juice - the experiment

I totally agree with nepas on the Celery Juice curing.  It's very misleading to say "no nitrites/nitrates added."   "Added"  being the operative word meaning not added as a specific ingredient.  It's much like the "No MSG added" hoax going on (but that's a whole other topic).

Cliff

Cliff - excellent resource - thanks.  I've always refrained from sausage making and such because of space, needs and --- quite honestly --- an aversion to starting because I suspect I'll get hooked! I see the slippery slope all y'all are on and it is worrisome!   8)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:00:09 PM »
Once again - our charcuterie gang comes thru with great info - huh?

And -yes...it is true Barry...just reading the posts of  some of our resident gurus caused me to buy a 1-1/2 hp. commercial grinder :D ( I plan on renting it out to chip up trees, or maybe to "the mob"... ;) ) and I tested it with 27 lbs of sausage I made Friday.

It was too much fun, and the sausage was great!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »
Nepas is the resident mad scientist. Most of the time I have no idea what he is saying.....but the pictures look great ;)

lol, me too.  thats so funny.   :D
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Pappymn

Cures
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 09:34:30 PM »

And -yes...it is true Barry...just reading the posts of  some of our resident gurus caused me to buy a 1-1/2 hp. commercial grinder :D ( I plan on renting it out to chip up trees, or maybe to "the mob"... ;) ) and I tested it with 27 lbs of sausage I made Friday.

Mmmmmm.......27 pounds of unicorn sausage
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline nepas

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 09:42:03 PM »

Oh noooooooooo

Tim used the sacred unicorn magic dust in the sausage.

Flint

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »
Barry....I warn you......Don't start the sausage making.  Don't even think about it.  Don't listen to them guys about making sausage.  You do it once then you are hooked and then look at all the gear that will soon be showing up to the front door.  Grinders, stuffers, casings, spices, cures.  Oh and did I mention that you will have lots of splainin to do to the wife as to why her kitchen cabinets have been taken over.  Oh.....Barry.....you have to really think this over.  Then you can't go to sleep because you are wondering should I make fresh sausage tomorrow, no, snack sticks,  no wait.....Summer Sausage.  :P  ;D  I gotta go......got some sausage to stuff  ::)

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »

Oh noooooooooo

Tim used the sacred unicorn magic dust in the sausage.

Sorry...messy...no piccy...sausage making is kind of messy.... :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »
Watching and learning,thank you all you sausage makers.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.