Author Topic: Southeast Regional Cookout in Byron, Georgia  (Read 7770 times)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Southeast Regional Cookout in Byron, Georgia
« Reply #-1 on: May 09, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
This is a follow up to Jaxon’s post.  The cookout was held on Friday May 8. 2015 at Jaxon’s home in Byron, Georgia.
Warning: This is picture heavy!

Getting the charcoal going for a couple of Jaxon’s grills/smokers.

Don (IR2dum), Albert and Art (ACW3) checking out Jaxon’s Argentine style grill.

Ribs on the Akorn Chargriller.

I got to do my wings on the RiverGrille.

Albert and his wife Sylvia putting some Bruschetta on the Charbroil gasser.

Tim (Teesquare), Deb (Jaxson’s wife) and Don (IR2dum) enjoying some conversation and fine lemonade.

Jaxson bringing the Old Country Pit up to temp for some more ribs.

Wings at the flip!

Albert and his Bruschetta!

Ribs after an hour or so in the Old Country Pit.

Wings are done and ready for snacking!

Jaxon story telling about Dee. In the picture starting from the left:

Sitting in chair:  Maureen (ACW3’s wife)
Behind her is Terry (tlg4942), next behind the camera is Don (IR2Dum) and Kerry (tlg4942’s wife)
In front of her are Albert and Sylvia, then Jaxson (our fantastic host) and next to him is Deb, his wife.
Next to her is Ray (RAD) and in the center with his back turned is Dee.

Art is getting ready to present a gift to Dee which is wife made.

The presentation!

The gift revealed which is fantastic needlework by Maureen.

I put some Kielbasa and some Conecuh sausage on the RiverGrille.

Just about done!

The group enjoying the beautiful weather and the delicious smells coming from the grills.

Jaxson glazing the ribs with Albert's assistance.

Terry (tlg4942) brought some low country boil to the BBQ. 

Ribs being sliced! Looks like a few missing already!

After dinner relaxation!

This was an awesome get together. Plenty of food and great company.  Besides the ribs, wings and sausage we
were served homemade mac n cheese, green beans and Deb made some outstanding strawberry shortcake. 
I am ready for the next one hopefully sometime in the early fall.  I know others at the BBQ took photos so hopefully
they will post them soon.

Oh yeah, I did forget one picture. (Just for Pappy... 8)) I think we all agree that this is a fantastic picture of our
leader Teesquare!  :o ??? ;)

Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Re: Southeast Regional Cookout in Byron, Georgia
« on: May 09, 2015, 08:10:19 PM »
Y'all, I was blown away yesterday.  I thought just a few of us were going to get together at Jack and Deb's for some BBQ that he would go out to a BBQ joint and by then try to pass off as his but that ain't what happened.  It was sort a surprise thingamyjig for me.  For some reason they think I have done some work over the years which  they want to recognize.  I did not expect any thing like that and am so humbly grateful.

Art had somehow bribed Maureen(I think a new car was involved) making me a fantastic needle point with an Alabama motif  which was made more difficult for her because she is a big Tennessee fan. My wife was so overwhelmed when I got home this morning and wowed her because she had done some needlework and knew the dozens and maybe hundreds of hours of work Maureen put into this fantastic gift.  It is something which will be passed down to my grandson and hopefully will go beyond that for generations to come because it is a work of art.   

It's hard to tell that the frame is just perfect and with the professional matting is just beyond words.  I have a Bear Bryant commemorative packet knife Carole will put in a shadow box worthy of display with Maureen's artistic talents and they will form a display over my desk which I will see every time I sit down at it.

I can't say enough to express my gratitude for the effort of Jack and Deb putting it together and thank all those who made the effort come from Alabama, NC, GA, FL, and TX: Don, RAD, Albert and Sylvia, Terry and Kerry, Mike, Art and Maureen, and Tim.

It is such a pleasure to see how well and quickly Jack adjusted to retirement life and has acquired an arsenal of cookers and still going. If anyone has a doubt about whether or not to retire...just ask Jack for an opinion.

Thanks again, Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 08:48:11 PM »
What a great post. Looks like fun!  That's a good look on Tee......he has never looked better
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 09:09:56 PM »
Mike, thank you for taking the time to write a good review of the cookout...ESPECIALLY the pics you added. 
We have never hosted a cookout with more than 8 people, so we were slightly unprepared for this.  I'll tell you this, these folks -friends - were so understanding and kept us at ease thru the whole day. 

Dee was totally caught off guard by the whole thing.  He was really toughed by the fact people drove so far to help honor him for all the work he has done putting together the Fall Gatherings for 4 years.

We hope to have the biennial cookout in Early October.  We'll keep you posted.

Now Tim, let's see some pictures when you get the time.  B T W, he is enjoying a family reunion today and honoring his wife on Mother's Day tomorrow, so we'll have to cut him some slack.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 09:11:17 PM »
What a great spread and an even better group of friends! Looks like a fantastic day - good for all of you!

If it wasn't T, I would swear that last shot had been photo shopped!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 10:49:49 PM »
Looks like another great time at Jack and Deb's.   Really wished Kimmie and I could have made it and we would have but we had another engagement planed for that weekend.

Dee your like an uncle to me and I really feel we should have been there but it just didn't work out
I'll P.M you   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 10:53:03 PM »
Jaxon and Deb put on a great party and welcomed all of us into their home. Jaxon just said that they were slightly unprepared for the party, but they didn't forget anything if you don't count Deb's famous deviled eggs which were ready to serve in the fridge. We just ate them as an after dinner snack. The food, the lemonade, and all the fixins' were spectacular.

It is so great when so many good friends gather to exchange experiences and spend quality time together. That's the whole concept of The Gatherings. This one was even more special because we were honoring Dee for his hard work for organizing the Fall Gatherings. Thank you, Dee. No one told him that all his friends were coming and he was thoroughly surprised. Maureen, Art's wife did a beautiful job on the needle point and it was beautiful in the frame. I think that I have video of the presentation and a little of the cooking and visiting action that happened yesterday. I will try to ingest it, edit out all the bad shots, and post it soon. I just got back home today so it might take a couple of days until I can work on it a little. I really enjoyed myself. Thank you Jaxon and Deb for opening your house and extending your hospitality to us. It couldn't have been more perfect.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 01:23:46 AM »
Looks like a wonderful get together with lots of good food and friendship!!! Thanks for posting! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline RAD

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 09:46:36 AM »
I want to thank Jaxon and Deb for everything. It was such a great time and we spent hours getting to know each other. The needle work was outstanding, Maureen, you out did yourself. I looked as hard as I could but I could not find any Subliminal Messages - Go Vols -  ;D

I have some pics I will post in a few.
Love to cook and eat

Offline RAD

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 10:11:42 AM »
Warning - Very Pic Heavy Ahead.....

Art presenting needle work to Dee

Everyone Looking on:

Backyard Jax’s – Backyard – Nice setup you got there Sir

Got some snaking sausage ready. Um Um Good.

Friends having some good conversation

Are you sure Mike?

You are right. Jaxson has some really nice legs

I had to take a pic of these bad boys. Cool grilling tools

Some drunken Ribs getting a drink

Oh Yeah. Time to eat some Ribs. Don’t worry Albert there are enough for everyone.  :D

Terry made a shrimp and craw daddy boil

My plate – Well – my 1st plate  ::)

Love to cook and eat

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 10:30:40 AM »
I'm just going to put it out there. Dee has cute legs???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Northshore

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 07:40:52 PM »
Looks like a great gathering. 

Paul
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »
Looks like Jack and Deb know how to put on a party. We would have loved to make it but we were on a previously planned trip. Looks like good food and good times. uNcle Dee, all I can say is ROLL TIDE!
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 08:49:41 PM »
It was really a great time at Jack and Deb's house.  They were such gracious hosts. 

As far as the presentation went, that was the quietest I have seen Dee. Once he got over the surprise, he returned to his true self. 

The pictures don't do justice to the food.  The smells were off the charts. I think everyone started eating when they walked in the door and didn't stop until they left.

Art

MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 08:57:51 PM »
Here's the video.