Author Topic: THE “NO NITRITES ADDED” HOAX  (Read 1533 times)

Offline RAD

THE “NO NITRITES ADDED” HOAX
« Reply #-1 on: March 19, 2014, 06:49:14 AM »
http://ruhlman.com/2011/05/the-no-nitrites-added-hoax/

A coworker was talking about his diet and not eating processed meat. He said something about one of the farmers markets is going to start selling bacon that was cured/smoked without using any nitrites. Now, I know I am still new at this but my first thought was about smoking anything below 160 and the dangers associated with it. So I started a little research and came across this and thought to myself if this is what the farmer’s market guy will be doing. celery???

What do the experts think about this topic?

Love to cook and eat

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: THE “NO NITRITES ADDED” HOAX
« on: March 19, 2014, 07:59:02 AM »
"Can we really be this stupid?  I have only one word to say on this beyond an emphatic yes."

That pretty much sums it up.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:07:46 AM »
Yes, that is a very good article. Ironically Kirby (CANNON-MAN) and I were just talking about this very subject yesterday.  I did a fairly detailed write-up about a year and a half ago on this subject. Curing Sausage with Celery Juice - the experiment

I spent almost a year (off & on) researching this and let me tell you, good info was NOT easy to come by.  Much of it is kept secret withing the food trade because they don't want you knowing.

They are counting on people like your friend NOT reading the label carefully. Nowhere does it say "Nitrate/Nitrite Free" or "No Nitritates/Nitrites."
What the label says is "No Nitrates/Nitrites ADDED," meaning that no Sodium Nitrate or Nitrite was added as a separate ingredient.

The two most common sources of "natural nitrates" being used are Celery Juice & Cherry Juice.  In addition, some are also using Sea Salt (which also contains nitrates.

Most folks do not realize the biggest source of nitrate intake is from veggies NOT cured meats.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 11:15:29 AM »
Yep, I started researching this subject too when my Mom got on the nitrate free kick and she has been trying to push it on us.

There is more nitrate, when measured in PPM, in human saliva than in any processed meat.  If you want to avoid high doses of nitrate don't swallow your saliva and don't eat celery.

BRING ON THE BACON!!! :P

http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline RAD

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:16:12 PM »
TentHunteR, I read your post and much more detailed
Love to cook and eat

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »
The same people who believe this garbage also believe that Tendarub is the greatest thing going!  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline RAD

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 08:28:53 PM »
The same people who believe this garbage also believe that Tendarub is the greatest thing going!  ;)
Now you've done it. Where's Mike
Love to cook and eat

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 09:32:51 PM »
Now you've done it. Where's Mike

Did someone say TendaRub!?!? :D
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 09:44:25 PM »
I can't help it...every time you guys mention that product - I get the Elvis tune in my head for a while....

"Rub me tender....rub me true....all my dreams fulfill....."

And it kinda creeps me out....... :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 02:11:42 PM »
The USDA will not allow a label to state "Cured" if Celery juice or Celery juice powder is used.  The label must list the celery juice powder as "seasoned" with Celery Juice Powder.  The industry has figured a way to extract more money out of the "low information" public.  A package of celery juice powder to do 25 pounds of meat is around $10.00.  Low information people are paying more for stuff that has more nitrates and nitrites than the good cured stuff.  Cliff did a great job in discussing the Celery juice and curing.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.