Author Topic: Best Overall / General Purpose Vacuum Sealer  (Read 5392 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Best Overall / General Purpose Vacuum Sealer
« Reply #-1 on: April 03, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »
Because other folks my be interested in this topic i have started a new thread.

I have considered two vacuum sealers. First the Weston Pro-2300 Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer and second VacMaster VP210C Dry Piston Pump Chamber Machine.

I like the idea of the chamber sealer as liquid does not affect them but I also want to try http://www.drybagsteak.com/ and the size of meat will not fit in the chamber sealer.

For folks that are not aware of Dry Aged meat Muebe has a fantastic thread on this.
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=1235.msg11333#msg11333

Any comments on the better way to go?

Take Care,
CDN

"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Best Overall / General Purpose Vacuum Sealer
« on: April 03, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »
I'll be watching this thread closely.

I too was just recently looking at chamber sealers and wondered about size, limitations, pro's, con's, etc.

So far we've been happy with our regular Vac Sealer, no complaints except the bags can get pricey. Now that we've found a good price on bags, I am now considering upgrading to a better one, such as the Weston model you listed.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »

I'd go with the Chamber, and then find a $<75 Foodsaver clamshell to do the drybag stuff..

Sometimes you can even get them for around $50.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 03:22:23 PM »

I'd go with the Chamber, and then find a $<75 Foodsaver clamshell to do the drybag stuff..

Sometimes you can even get them for around $50.

I second this opinion. The company that sells the dry age bags has a economy sealer they sell that works with the bags. Get that and the chamber sealer.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 04:43:43 PM »
I am going to surprise a lot of folks with my answer..... :)

The OLD style Food Saver - the one that is a "lay-down" style- is a durable piece of equipment. It is cheap, and will do the standard sized bags - up to 11" in width. It will hold a roll of bag material, and has a cutter.
I have had my original one for12 year - and it is STILL using the original gaskets, pump etc. - which - from Food Saver - are all replaceable and at a reasonable cost.

I have the same unit as Art ( Cabela's CG-15 ) and - for big stuff it is fine. But not as convenient as my Food Saver.

Been looking at the "affordable" chamber vacs.....but I cannot say confidently that they hold up well, from the opinions and reviews I have read. It seems that in order to get a dependable chamber vac for long term use - you need to budget about $2500. It may depend more on how many "cycles you intend to usw it for before repair. One fellow said that after every box of bags, he had to replace the pump or electronics on his "affordable brand" ( no names here - but there is always P.M. ;) )And - for me....there are other toys I really want more than to spend over 2 grand on another vac. sealer.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 06:11:29 PM »
I am going to surprise a lot of folks with my answer..... :)

The OLD style Food Saver - the one that is a "lay-down" style- is a durable piece of equipment. It is cheap, and will do the standard sized bags - up to 11" in width. It will hold a roll of bag material, and has a cutter.
I have had my original one for12 year - and it is STILL using the original gaskets, pump etc. - which - from Food Saver - are all replaceable and at a reasonable cost.

I have the same unit as Art ( Cabela's CG-15 ) and - for big stuff it is fine. But not as convenient as my Food Saver.

Been looking at the "affordable" chamber vacs.....but I cannot say confidently that they hold up well, from the opinions and reviews I have read. It seems that in order to get a dependable chamber vac for long term use - you need to budget about $2500. It may depend more on how many "cycles you intend to usw it for before repair. One fellow said that after every box of bags, he had to replace the pump or electronics on his "affordable brand" ( no names here - but there is always P.M. ;) )And - for me....there are other toys I really want more than to spend over 2 grand on another vac. sealer.

Tee, I still have my original Food Saver which is about 10 years old. I bought a new one when the old one started having problems getting a good vacuum seal and Academy had a new one on clearance real cheap. Turns out the problem with the old one was just some gunk on the bottom of the gasket and when I cleaned it, it was sealing as good as new.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:50:41 PM »
Yep...Ken, I am not surprised. THe old style ones - which they still make BTW... work great and they seem to last a long time.

If I want to put a whole pork but in a vacuum bag - I use my Cabela's - but, for 80% of how I freeze stuff ( like with pork- I pull and portion it out) the Food Saver is hard to beat.

If you can find one of the first generation ones - that were made by Tilia - they were the best of all the Food Savers.

And - Food Saver has such good customer support.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »
I too have not had any problems with my Foodsaver but there is something to be said about being able to vac seal a whole bag of soup ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:26:03 PM »
I called FoodSaver CS the other day about my cutter not working correctly and the lady got a laugh out of that because they quit making that cutter years ago and don't have any replacement parts for it. She explained how it should work and all which I already knew.  She then told me she was sorry but there was nothing they could do.  Well, I was at the end of a roll and took it out and put a new one in and the cutter worked great.  The problem seems to be that when you get to the end of a roll there is not enough tension on the roll to hold it steady while the cutter works its majic.  Needless to say, I didn't call her back and tell her that there was a short between my cutter and the floor of my kitchen.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 12:29:36 AM »
So far we've been happy with our regular Vac Sealer, no complaints except the bags can get pricey. Now that we've found a good price on bags, I am now considering upgrading to a better one, such as the Weston model you listed.
Tell me more about the good price on bags, I also have the regular Vac Sealer, but have not used as often as I'd like due to the cost of the bags here in Cedar Rapids. I tried some generics from Gander Mountain and didn't have good luck getting them to seal properly, so I am hoping to find a good source of supply.  Thanks.
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 11:07:33 AM »
I too have not had any problems with my Foodsaver but there is something to be said about being able to vac seal a whole bag of soup ;)

I agree...I would like to have a chamber vac for liquid stuff.....Just a cost - vs- frequency of use thing for me right now.  And - I have learned how to use the Food Saver ( and to a lesser extent the Cabela's ) when sealing liquids for freezing. You just have to have your finger on the button to "seal". As all the air is drawn out ( I like to have the bag suspended vertically off the edge of the counter - and supported usually by my knee ;D  - or any other suitable support surface ) and paying close attention to the liquid climbing up toward the machine. When it reaches the edge of the vac - I push the button.

It is extra work. But, it is not extra money ;) - and, that makes me feel pretty good at that moment ;D.  ( Tho I still swoon over that thought of a good, big chamber vac sealer.... :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 11:50:16 AM »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 09:18:50 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I decided to go in this direction.

China Tire had the Food Saver 3800 series on sale, this will do my dry bagging and is better than what I have now which is nothing.

This will hold me for now
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Sam3

Best Overall / General Purpose Vacuum Sealer
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 09:32:51 AM »
I have the same one for well over a year now. No problems at all. And I use it quite a bit.
Good choice.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 09:46:56 AM »
Perhaps it was my "Charlie Brown" luck...I had 2 of that model in a row....They had to replace them both - and finally, I just went back to my old one - which still works fine, I just wanted a new toy ;D.

Thing to watch on the vertical Food Saver is the mechanism that senses when the bag is in position before the clamp bar descends.  They have hopefully fixed that issue.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401