Author Topic: Smoking a 16.8# Brisket in a PBC  (Read 13485 times)

Offline EpOxY

Smoking a 16.8# Brisket in a PBC
« Reply #-1 on: November 29, 2018, 12:56:06 PM »
So I'm smoking a brisket on Sunday in a Pit Barrel Cooker for the first time and I have a few questions...

For context, I'm using a pit barrel cooker, hanging it vertically, and I'll probably use a combination of Kingsford Pro and Royal Oak Lump (Kingsford on the bottom, lump on top for early smoke).  Planning on taking it off around 165-170 IT and wrapping it in Peach Paper before putting it back (fat cap down) to 203 or so.  Oh and the meat is USDA Prime.  Not exactly sure if that matters.

1.  Approximately how long should I plan for it to take?  I don't mind it finishing early (but not too early!), just don't want it to finish late.  I realize "it's done when it's done," but I still need to estimate a start time.

2.  Do you hang the point up, or down?  I'm reading that you want to put the point/fat towards the heat source, so that would mean point down, right?

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Smoking a 16.8# Brisket in a PBC
« on: November 29, 2018, 01:15:32 PM »
13# choice took me almost 10 hours.  I tried not to wrap it, but ended up wrapping at the 168F mark due to time, and it was done (probe tender) 3.75 hours later.  Flat was 205F, and the point was 208F.

I just used regular KBB, so it won't be as hot as using the lump, but hotter the better with the prime should be dripping some extra fat cooling the coals more.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=23023.msg293023#msg293023 3 part cook, brisket is the second meat featured.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline EpOxY

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 02:28:11 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I wish more if your pictures were still working!

Offline gigama

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
I did one last week and it turned out fantastic.  Used a nice phosphate injection on a 13.5 lb,, seasoned it up and let it sit for a couple of hours.  Put it on the PBC for about 3 hours to 160, then wrapped with a little beer in the foil for a couple more hours.  Pulled at 203 and let it sit wrapped in the cooler for 3 hours.  It was awesome. 

I really love the PBC.  You can do so much with it and the results are great.  Try the corn attachments, they work great as well.

Happy Grilling!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 10:08:54 AM »
You can always finish a brisket 3-4 hours early. Just have it wrapped in two layers of HD foil and keep it in a cooler. It will be hot and super tender come slicing time.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32