Author Topic: Western Digital personal cloud storage  (Read 3431 times)

Offline pz

Western Digital personal cloud storage
« Reply #-1 on: July 13, 2014, 01:35:29 AM »
Went to Costco the other day and purchased a WD cloud device, 4 tb in size.  Essentially it allows me to have personal cloud storage on my own home network.  The best part is that all my devices upload data (usually pictures) automatically to my home cloud via the home wireless when we are in range, and via the internet when we are away.

I was taking pictures on my phone and they automatically appeared on the my cloud in my home office in my Picasa album ready to review or upload to web albums.  I tried it on the road, and sure enough, the pictures were ready on my home cloud storage device when I came home.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Western Digital personal cloud storage
« on: July 13, 2014, 01:43:33 AM »
What is a home cloud?
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 01:49:45 AM »
What is a home cloud?

It is a personal version of Microsoft's Sky Drive, or Google's Google Drive.  What those two giants offer is a certain amount of storage space on their online servers for anyone to use.  You can think of it as a computer drive on which you keep some of your data which you can access from any internet device (your PC, phone, tablet, iPad, etc.)

For example, I'm at work and want to save a file so I can work on it at home - all I need do is save it to the cloud, and it is instantly available at home (or anywhere else) - no more schlepping around thumb drives!

The WD cloud is more secure because you have the data on your home "cloud" rather than a Google or Microsoft cloud drive

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 01:57:05 AM »
Yes, I got one last fall (Amazon $169) but mine is only a 3TB It's amazing how economical large storage is becoming. My problem is; after working with 200Gb drives for the past several years, (& then stepping up to a 500Gb a few years ago, WOW, that seemed huge)  I am still very stingy about saving stuff .... old habits die hard...I need to teach myself to not be such a 'tightwad' on saving stuff.  I currently have (on this CPU) a 250gb C: drive for the programs, an internal 1TB for data files,  a 1TB external drive for my music, an external 500GB for video files, and the WD 3TB cloud, that everything backs up to daily.  How much was the 4TB??
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline pz

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 02:04:18 AM »
...  How much was the 4TB??

I'm with ya, BigDon, my pc is old enough that my main drive is a 10k rpm 160 gb drive, so storage space is at a premium.  That's the reason I went for the personal cloud.  I think that I'll get a ups to help prevent power loss damage, and plug in another USB drive to act as a backup system just in case I have hardware failure of some kind.

The 4 tb drive was a bit over $200 (don't recall the exact cost because I have a poor memory  ;D)

Offline Pappymn

Western Digital personal cloud storage
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 09:55:23 AM »
Does this also create an offsite copy? So if your house burned down you are covered?  I do use an offsite solution that is excellent, but like to look at new tech.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 10:42:50 AM »
pz do these cloud drives have the ability to host videos or pictures through links like Photobucket does? Or is there any software that you can use to accomplish this?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »
pz do these cloud drives have the ability to host videos or pictures through links like Photobucket does? Or is there any software that you can use to accomplish this?
That's a good idea
Love to cook and eat

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »
 Thats pretty cool ...  I see Cisco is bringing on the "Fog" next... seriously...   
  The Nikon camera I had recently and the one Kerry does have auto connects to our I-Pads and loads the pictures through a wifi connection. You can also control the camera with Ipad or phone.
 I really like the personal cloud space idea where its yours. Not just out there on somebodys server somewhere....

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 11:52:48 AM »
Does the WD Cloud Device show up as a mapped network drive on you home desktop?  I use a free backup software called FBackup and an external 2G drive but I've always had issues networking that external so my Wife's PC and laptop can see it ... sounds like this would be perfect for doing backups also.  This way we could all do our backups to the cloud and then when on the road I could access the backups and have access to all the files on my PC  8)  What do you think?  Am I on the right track?
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline pz

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 03:23:38 PM »
Does this also create an offsite copy? So if your house burned down you are covered?  I do use an offsite solution that is excellent, but like to look at new tech.

Unfortunately that is a limit of these units, Pappy.  However, if you had a second unit somewhere else, you could mirror your primary unit to an offsite secondary drive, like at work or another home such as a family member.  I'm thinking of installing a secondary at work.

Not that I'm aware of, muebe - that would be a great idea, but also expose your drive to potential hacking (since now everyone would know of it's existence).  I've simply placed my photos on the cloud drive, then Picasa maps to it.  I click and choose images, which are then automatically uploaded to Picasa web albums and share that link via emails or on forums.  Nice thing is that if you limit your photo size to 2048x2048 (or smaller) then they allow an unlimited number if images.

Does the WD Cloud Device show up as a mapped network drive on you home desktop?  I use a free backup software called FBackup and an external 2G drive but I've always had issues networking that external so my Wife's PC and laptop can see it ... sounds like this would be perfect for doing backups also.  This way we could all do our backups to the cloud and then when on the road I could access the backups and have access to all the files on my PC  8)  What do you think?  Am I on the right track?

Absolutely, smoker pete - you can map the drive on your home network, attach a secondary drive through the cloud's USB 3.0 port and actually setup automatic backup from your personal cloud to the USB drive.  However, if your house burns down then everything is lost unless you do offsite backup as Pappy mentioned.  When you use the cloud at home, then you are using it through your in home network.  If you are out traveling somewhere, then you can still access your personal cloud via a login that you create when you set up the drive.  You can have as many login accounts as you like, and access from anywhere in the world.

Thats pretty cool ...  I see Cisco is bringing on the "Fog" next... seriously...   
  The Nikon camera I had recently and the one Kerry does have auto connects to our I-Pads and loads the pictures through a wifi connection. You can also control the camera with Ipad or phone.
 I really like the personal cloud space idea where its yours. Not just out there on somebodys server somewhere....

I want to get a wireless-enabled media card for my camera as well - that would make the system perfect for my needs! ... and I too like the data on my personal cloud rather than on a retailer somewhere that might decided to charge me one day when the mood suits them.

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 01:44:00 AM »
Thanks for the great info pz ...
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 03:56:19 PM »
Thanks for the great info pz ...

Thanks pz!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 11:11:07 PM »
Just an update on my experience with the cloud.  My wife was skeptical when I told her that we needed better digital storage, and reluctantly gave me permission to make the purchase.  Of course, I set up her personal cloud account.

The other day she was on one of her online MOOC courses and had several gigabytes worth of lecture videos to download and watch over the next couple of weeks - she wanted a flash drive from me so she could store them.  I said to her: "hon, why not use your cloud?" to which she replied "you can do that???"

She ended up copying all the files to her account.  She appeared to appreciate that she has virtually unlimited storage in her cloud (up to 4 TB), but still didn't fully realize the impact of having her personal storage she could access from anywhere in the world.

Here's the best part: we were at the doctor's office yesterday and I left to run errands.  When I returned she was giddy with delight - she said "check this out!!!"  She was playing her downloaded videos on her iPad in a doctor's office in another city - all from her personal cloud storage.

I don't think she'll question my technology gadget purchases in the future  ;D

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 02:41:50 PM »
got one for the office only a 1TB . i put all my important info on it including backup for my phone ,and copy of my id , passports and driving licence .
so in case i am overseas and i loss my info i will have a copy .
it is secure and encoded .it is a great idea .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber