Author Topic: Jerky Puck Question  (Read 1369 times)

Offline MoHuka

Jerky Puck Question
« Reply #-1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »
Could someone tell me the process for making jerky pucks.  I have some venison and 2 1/2-inch casings.  I assume I stuff it as soon as I mix the meat up.  I would still fridge it over night..but do I slice it before it goes in the smoker or smoke and then slice..etc

Any guidance is appreciated as always...I promise to post pics of the process/results

Thanks...Greg
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
Re: Jerky Puck Question
« on: July 27, 2014, 11:13:48 AM »
Could someone tell me the process for making jerky pucks.  I have some venison and 2 1/2-inch casings.  I assume I stuff it as soon as I mix the meat up.  I would still fridge it over night..but do I slice it before it goes in the smoker or smoke and then slice..etc

Any guidance is appreciated as always...I promise to post pics of the process/results

Thanks...Greg

Mix the meat as you would GB jerky, stuff into the casing and you will have to put the stuffed casing in the freezer for 3-4 hours so you can slice easier into rounds before you smoke or dehydrate. Be sure to peel the casing from the rounds and work fast as the rounds defrost fast. If the chub starts to defrost you can put back in freezer. A slicer works faster than hand slicing.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 12:25:58 PM »
What is the ideal slice thickness Rick?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 05:13:22 PM »
I slice mine at 1/4" but may go a little thinner next batch to see how much quicker they dry.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:37:53 PM by Saber 4 »

Offline MoHuka

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 06:33:09 PM »

Thanks...Greg

Mix the meat as you would GB jerky, stuff into the casing and you will have to put the stuffed casing in the freezer for 3-4 hours so you can slice easier into rounds before you smoke or dehydrate. Be sure to peel the casing from the rounds and work fast as the rounds defrost fast. If the chub starts to defrost you can put back in freezer. A slicer works faster than hand slicing.

Thanks Rick....
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »

Thanks...Greg

Thanks Rick....

YW
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.