Author Topic: Cooking with rock salt  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Cooking with rock salt
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 09:31:16 AM »
Could you use canning salt? It's cleaner than ice cream salt. And it's just pure salt, no additives.  just asking.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Is it larger pieces of salt or granulated? If granulated then I don't think it will work.
It's granulated but if you add egg whites it will stick together.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »
I was at home depot today, walked by the pellet of water softener salt. These are 40 lbs. bags. Since its used to treat the water we drink would this work? 

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 05:05:08 PM »
I was at home depot today, walked by the pellet of water softener salt. These are 40 lbs. bags. Since its used to treat the water we drink would this work?

I believe that is what my friend used. As long as it is just straight salt, and I think it is, then I don't see why not. Just make sure it is not the salt alternative for softners :o
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »
Years ago I read a recipe in Southern Living Magazine entitled "The Perfect Prime Rib" and it was done by seasoning the prime rib with whatever spices you desire. Put down a bed of rock salt and put the prime rib on top.  Encase it in about an inch or so of rock salt and sprinkle it with water and then bake at 500*.  The salt will be so hard you have to bust it loose with a hammer...or the hard head of a teenager.  As far as how long to cook it, I would put a thermometer probe in it before wetting down the salt.   Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 05:58:28 PM »
Years ago I read a recipe in Southern Living Magazine entitled "The Perfect Prime Rib" and it was done by seasoning the prime rib with whatever spices you desire. Put down a bed of rock salt and put the prime rib on top.  Encase it in about an inch or so of rock salt and sprinkle it with water and then bake at 500*.  The salt will be so hard you have to bust it loose with a hammer...or the hard head of a teenager.  As far as how long to cook it, I would put a thermometer probe in it before wetting down the salt.   Dee

Ok that is what I am talking about Dee!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven