Author Topic: Cooking with rock salt  (Read 1392 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Cooking with rock salt
« Reply #-1 on: September 08, 2014, 10:56:39 AM »
Believe it or not I have had Tri-tip cooked in a 500F oven packed in rock salt and it was amazing! The guy who made it told me he heats up the rock salt in the oven first then packs the meat into the 500F hot rock salt. Then he kills the heat on the oven and puts it back in the oven all packed into the salt. The hot rock salt cooks then cooks the meat. I don't remember exactly how long he told me but I am sure any meat probe will work for keeping track. Bet this would work for pork. Maybe even ribs.

I do remember it was medium rare when done and so good!

I want to try it one time!

Anyone ever done this or had meat cooked this way?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Cooking with rock salt
« on: September 08, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »
Never done it, but it sounds like a great idea.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:06:41 AM »
There's a similar method I've heard of where food is cooked on a salt block, but this is new to me.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »
Sure sounds interesting,Id like to try it if anyone has technique.Also want to try BiggER's salted birds.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Pappymn

Cooking with rock salt
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:21:24 PM »
I took a cooking class in another life where we cooked prime rib this way......it was excellent
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 05:33:31 PM »
Many years ago, in Columbia I was invited to dinner at a friend's house. She packed the meat (may have been a tenderloin - I don't recall) in a salt crust and wrapped in a cotton or muslin cloth soaked in water. She placed in her fireplace (wood was burned down to coals.) I don't recall how long it cooked, but it was one of the best meals I have ever had. Sorry for lack of details, but I bet they are available on line somewhere.

Here is one done in the oven - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/herbed-beef-in-salt-crust/

This sounds like what she did - http://www.cooking.com/recipes-and-more/recipes/lomo-al-trapo-salt-crusted-beef-tenderloin-grilled-in-cloth-recipe-12363.aspx#axzz3ClJutfKV

I need to try this!

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »
Yes every recipe I found on the web the meat was packed with the rock salt. Could find one where the salt was heated and used as the cooking instrument. From what I could tell from most of the recipes the salt helps with the fat and forms a hard shell around what ever your cooking. They go on to say take the end of a butter knife and crack the shell and peel it away for the best roast/steak ever.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:48:19 PM »
Well I really want to try this! I know my friend heat the rock salt in pans then poured the layer into the tray, placed the meat, then packed the rest of the heated salt around it.

Then the leftover heat from the oven and the heated salt did the cooking. Was a standard sized Tri-tip. Just remember it was so good and cooked perfectly!
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
I've heard of this method of cooking, never tired it myself, sounds interesting. :)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »
Mike I recall a show from way back, the Frugal Gourmet. In one of the episodes he cooked a whole chicken in rock salt. It was stuffed with vegetables and I think rubbed with EVOO. I believe the fat and salt form a seal which keeps all the natural flavor and moisture inside.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »
Sounds interesting!  We have had sous vide, now onto the rock salt we go.  Is this the next "new" thing?  I definitely want to try this one!! 

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 12:35:08 AM »
Cooking in a salt crust is a pretty old method. Just google "baking in salt" and there are a lot of recipes out there. Don't know where you would get food grade rock salt. I think most recipes call for coarse kosher salt. Some make a paste with egg whites and use about 1/2 thick crust. Alton Brown did a beef tenderloin in a heavy salt dough made with flour that looked good to me. I tried something once but don't even remember what it was! Must not have been that great!  ;) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 07:23:24 AM »
Don't know where you would get food grade rock salt.

You can buy a grade of rock salt for making homemade ice cream, although it might be hard to find.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 07:37:58 AM »
Could you use canning salt? It's cleaner than ice cream salt. And it's just pure salt, no additives.  just asking.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »
Could you use canning salt? It's cleaner than ice cream salt. And it's just pure salt, no additives.  just asking.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Is it larger pieces of salt or granulated? If granulated then I don't think it will work.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC