Author Topic: Who has experience with Cellulose casings  (Read 1007 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Who has experience with Cellulose casings
« Reply #-1 on: October 04, 2014, 04:57:31 PM »
Last time I bought and used some it was a disaster. The package said not to soak them so I didn't. I found them to be very brittle, anybody else that has used them find them that way? Was it just a bad batch? Or do you soak them to make them more pliable? Like I said I have only used them once but would like to make some hot dogs and they are recommended for hot dogs. If there is a better casing other than natural let me know. Oh and I do want to be able to peel the casing off the hot dog after the smoking process if that helps.

Offline Sailor1

Re: Who has experience with Cellulose casings
« on: October 04, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »
I have used lots of cellulose casings to make skinless dogs.  Do not soak them!  A fresh casing will feel kinda oily and you will be able to stuff the sausage very tight without a blow out.  If the casings have not been sealed up they will dry out and you will blow them out and in my opinion they are only good to fill up the trash bag.  Normally I will vac seal the casings after I get them and use what I need and then vac seal what is left over.  When I first started using them I did not vac seal them and just put them in a plastic bag.  Over time they dried out and that is how I learned that they do degrade.  If you get some fresh ones you will love them!  They peel very easy and leave a nice rind for a skinless sausage.  I think they beat collagen casing hands down for making dogs and skinless kielbasa.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 09:08:03 AM »
Thanks Jim

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »
I have used lots of cellulose casings to make skinless dogs.  Do not soak them!  A fresh casing will feel kinda oily and you will be able to stuff the sausage very tight without a blow out.  If the casings have not been sealed up they will dry out and you will blow them out and in my opinion they are only good to fill up the trash bag.  Normally I will vac seal the casings after I get them and use what I need and then vac seal what is left over.  When I first started using them I did not vac seal them and just put them in a plastic bag.  Over time they dried out and that is how I learned that they do degrade.  If you get some fresh ones you will love them!  They peel very easy and leave a nice rind for a skinless sausage.  I think they beat collagen casing hands down for making dogs and skinless kielbasa.

Great info, thanks for sharing.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »

Great info, thanks for sharing.  ;)
[/quote]

I agree.  Good thread and info!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68