Author Topic: Ham Question: Need help  (Read 731 times)

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Ham Question: Need help
« Reply #-1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:05 AM »
Here is a note from a friend of mine.  Assuming that the brine solution and brining times were the same, any ideas on why one was saltier than the other?

"I just cured two hams, one was a 10 lb butt roast that was amazing, and a picnic ham with the bone-in that most of it was so salty you couldn't eat it.  I used the same mixture in both hams.
I can't figure out why it worked so well with one and not the other???"

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Ham Question: Need help
« on: October 30, 2014, 06:01:16 PM »
Here is a note from a friend of mine.  Assuming that the brine solution and brining times were the same, any ideas on why one was saltier than the other?

"I just cured two hams, one was a 10 lb butt roast that was amazing, and a picnic ham with the bone-in that most of it was so salty you couldn't eat it.  I used the same mixture in both hams.
I can't figure out why it worked so well with one and not the other???"

First, I went ahead and split this topic from the other thread and into its own thread so we can focus on it better! :)

Second, A few questions come to mind before a good answer can be given:

1) You mention he used "the same mix for both." Are we definitely talking a brine, and not a dry-rub cure (dry rub applied to the meat then placed in plastic bags to cure). 

2) IF brined, were they injected first or just immersed?   

3) Were both hams placed in the same brining container, or did he mix two separate batches of brine, one for each ham?

Depending on the curing method the amount of meat to bone ratio, the shape and thickness of the two roasts, and some other things could have played a role.   Maybe someone else could think of an easy answer, but I really need more details before I could even begin to answer.

Let us know the details, or better yet...  encourage your friend to join the forum and give us the details him/herself! :)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:15:40 PM »
Thanks, I am send this info to my friend.  I would like to get an answer, as I know you are the expert.

Carl

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 07:30:53 PM »
Let us know the details, or better yet...  encourage your friend to join the forum and give us the details him/herself! :)

That's a great idea, we could always use more input and ideas from others.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)