Author Topic: Trimming Whole Beef Tenderloins  (Read 5036 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Trimming Whole Beef Tenderloins
« Reply #-1 on: December 30, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »
I trimmed a whole beef tenderloin last year by drawing on my memory of my father's advice and close supervision when he had a butcher shop.  I got it done but swore I wouldn't do it again.  But the Costco price was $12.99/Lb. whole or $20.99 trimmed.  So—I bought two untrimmed tenderloins for our Christmas Day dinner party.  (I'd prefer that you'd think of me as frugal, not cheap.  You know—prudent fiscal management.)

One was 9 lbs. and the other was 7.8 lbs.

The Internet probably has several videos that explain how to do it.  It's pretty easy but it's time consuming for those of us who rarely do it.  But you need a sharp and pointed knife.  A fish filet knife will work.  When I say sharp, I mean SHARP.  As a youngster I quickly learned that I didn't want to be a butcher but I am daily grateful that my father insisted that I learn to sharpen a knife and keep it sharp.  (Thanks dad.)  If your knife isn't scalpel sharp you'll be pushing a dull knife and you'll have cramps before you finish.

So here's a short list of what you need to do to trim a beef loin.

1.  At the thicker end there's a knob of muscle that should be removed. 

2.  Under the top side's layer of fat there's something called silver skin.  It's about the consistency of a Gates fan belt and must be removed.  Trim the fat off first, then work on the exposed silver skin.

3.  There's another tube of muscle running the length of the tenderloin.  It's called the chain and it needs to be removed, too.  You can do most of the removal by pressing your fingers into the separation.  It has some usable meet to be trimmed off and you'll see some more silver skin.

Here are the two tenderloins trimmed and one pile of salvaged small pieces for stew meat, stir fry and such.

Here they are tied with butcher's twine and rubbed with Penzey's Old World spice.

As near as I can tell I had three lbs. of edible trimmings.  I don't know what the finished tenderloins weighed or how much weight was in the waste pile.  I'll track it better the next time to see if it's really cost effective to trim my own.  (It may have been worth it for the memories of working with my dad.)

They were wrapped in shrink wrap and placed in the refrigerator for a day and a half.  I seared them in my Weber Kettle over a hot charcoal fire—all four sides for a minute each side and finished them on the indirect side.  I pulled them at our desired temperature.*  They made a fine meal.

I wanted to use T's M-3 but couldn't bring myself to gamble on meat for 14 guests.

*Tenderloins are somewhat tapered.  As a result the thick end will be more rare than the thin end.  Just have your guests bring their plate to the carving table and state their preference for thickness and doneness.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Trimming Whole Beef Tenderloins
« on: December 30, 2014, 04:37:24 PM »
Very nice..glad for the info..I knew about the SHARP knife tho, I cut me with a dull one, never did a beef tenderloin. Looks fabulous to me.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »
Nice post.  Thanks.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 04:47:25 PM »
Nice knife work! The Penzeys Old World rub does add a unique flavor to beef. I bet those came
out delicious!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 05:17:11 PM »
Great job on the trimming, tenderloins look nice. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pappymn

Trimming Whole Beef Tenderloins
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »
Nice work. Working on spendy meat gives me anxiety???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »
Great job!!  I can't imagine that you didn't come out cheaper.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 07:48:57 PM »
Nice work Paul.  I have found some poultry to be cheaper skinless than with the skin and fat on them.  Don't know about beef.  One thing I do notice about Costco's chuck roast is how well it's trimmed.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline pmillen

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »
Looks fabulous to me.

Ms. Gahlic, it is fabulous.  It's my favorite cut.  Filet mignon is cut from the small end.  Guests love to see that big hunk of meat and select the part they want.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline pmillen

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 08:53:34 PM »
The Penzeys Old World rub does add a unique flavor to beef. I bet those came out delicious!

I usually use Penzey's Northwoods.  Next time, if I use Old World again, I'll probably add black pepper and garlic powder.  (I think of Pam every time I cook with garlic.)
Paul

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »
Thanks for the info about trimming.    THINK I have a SHARP filet knife that works.  Never been brave enough to try it, but with your help, think I will.   Bookmarked.   Thanks again.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »
Nice job trimming them!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 10:00:10 PM »
Good post Paul.  And nice trim job . Looks to be a fine meal!

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 08:22:17 AM »
Enjoying this post  ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 06:17:44 AM »
thanks for the info
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber