Author Topic: Bragging  (Read 3363 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Bragging
« Reply #-1 on: May 08, 2015, 01:11:32 AM »
Both my daughters play fast pitch softball. The younger one - Rocky is also a gymnast. She is a freshman and plays the Varsity B squad. But tonight she was playing for the freshman team as they were short handed. She was playing 3rd and short - had some good plays. At one point she got a nice hit - double. Her best friend came up (2 outs) - foul ball - as Rock turned 3rd base, I saw her and her coach talk. Next pitch - Mack hit a high fly to center, by the time I watched the center fielder muff the ball I saw Rocky crossing home standing up. She flew!

I commented about it after the game - she said her coach told her (after the foul) that she better cross home before the next ball hit the ground.... I think she did it... Yikes, she can be scary!

So much fun to watch!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Bragging
« on: May 08, 2015, 01:44:05 AM »
Yep you should be proud David and have Dads bragging rights! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 04:53:48 AM »
My last two years in the Navy found me on a special assignment in Pearl Harbot, HI.  I was able to manage the Submarine Base fast pitch team during this time.  I played only when we were short handed.  It was a great experience and a lot of fun.  Since there more girls fast pitch teams, I like to watch them, especially when the NCAA tournament gets underway.

My wife knew my passion for fast pitch softball and "allowed" me to miss a Lamaze class to go see the King and His Court while they were in Hawaii. 

Definitely a pitchers game.  I love the ball control of the pitchers.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 07:49:36 AM »
Very cool Doc!

You should be very proud.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 07:55:35 AM »
It ain't bragging if it's true!  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 09:16:36 AM »
Nice story David!  And yes you should be very proud..... 8)

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 09:22:08 AM »
How cool! You will treasure these memories for years and bore them to tears repeating them when they are grown.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 09:44:20 AM »
... bore them to tears repeating them when they are grown.

Oh, you KNOW it!  ;) ;) ;D ;D
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 09:46:27 AM »
My last two years in the Navy found me on a special assignment in Pearl Harbot, HI.  I was able to manage the Submarine Base fast pitch team during this time.  I played only when we were short handed.  It was a great experience and a lot of fun.  Since there more girls fast pitch teams, I like to watch them, especially when the NCAA tournament gets underway.

My wife knew my passion for fast pitch softball and "allowed" me to miss a Lamaze class to go see the King and His Court while they were in Hawaii. 

Art

I never played fast pitch. Baseball as a kid and slow pitch for many years as an adult. I've coached fast pitch for several years. But, I love watching fast pitch - in fact, given a choice, I'll pick that over baseball on tv.

Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 10:10:56 AM »

Art

I never played fast pitch. Baseball as a kid and slow pitch for many years as an adult. I've coached fast pitch for several years. But, I love watching fast pitch - in fact, given a choice, I'll pick that over baseball on tv.

I agree.  I do like to go watch the Durham Bulls, however.  Those players are trying to earn their way to the bigs.  Given a choice, I'd opt for the fast pitch game.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 10:14:25 AM »
David, like I said you will remember those days. My son Kenny played mostly soccer and basketball growing up but for a couple of years he wanted to play baseball with his friends. He wasn't a power hitter but he was a natural as catcher. He would take hit after hit behind the plate. I will always remember one game in All Star play when there were runners on second and third and the pitcher sent one over his head, The third base coach sent the runners in. He caught the ball bouncing off the backstop and dove between the plate and runner coming from third and got him out, by then the runner from second was coming around third and he stood up to get him in a throw down but the third baseman was standing with his arms down. The runner was about half way home and turned to go back and Kenny just hauled butt and caught him about a foot before he got back to third. Aww... the memories.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 10:43:40 AM »
David, like I said you will remember those days. My son Kenny played mostly soccer and basketball growing up but for a couple of years he wanted to play baseball with his friends. He wasn't a power hitter but he was a natural as catcher. He would take hit after hit behind the plate. I will always remember one game in All Star play when there were runners on second and third and the pitcher sent one over his head, The third base coach sent the runners in. He caught the ball bouncing off the backstop and dove between the plate and runner coming from third and got him out, by then the runner from second was coming around third and he stood up to get him in a throw down but the third baseman was standing with his arms down. The runner was about half way home and turned to go back and Kenny just hauled butt and caught him about a foot before he got back to third. Aww... the memories.

What a great story - memory!
Member #

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 04:49:18 PM »
Good for you .
you earned your  bragging rights .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 08:45:05 PM »
Awesome, go gettim Rocky!!

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 08:59:30 PM »
Kids are so funny - and I have stopped trying to tell them anything. They are who they are...

Emma is our oldest - when she walks on the field she looks like a stud. She owns the field - it is her house home or away. She is a killer 3rd basemen. Started at first, but made the change and anything near her is gobbled up. She plays the bunt 3 feet from the batter.

Rachel - Rocky - is so different. She walks on the field like - whatever... the most un-athletic stance possible short of texting. She started as a catcher and is still good, but her knees are already screaming at her. So she plays 3rd and short. Just got home from her game tonight - she covered a bunt from short and threw the runner out. Then she covered and caught a pop up between 1st & 2nd as the other players just watched. She's muffed her share, but she is fun to watch - once she turns on the gas....

My favorite is when a line drive is hit at her - she just catches it - so what... love to watch....
Member #