Author Topic: Two of my favorites...  (Read 2994 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Two of my favorites...
« Reply #-1 on: June 03, 2015, 08:19:08 PM »

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Two of my favorites...
« on: June 03, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »
And then there is this classic... Les Paul and Chet Atkins - YIKES!

Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 08:28:07 PM »
That is good stuff right there.....don't forget this great picker

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 08:41:24 PM »
That is good stuff right there.....don't forget this great picker

You are right!

Once you start looking there are some good pickers out there, I love this song:

Another favorite is David Bromberg - (sorry for the ad)

Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 08:45:28 PM »
David, a long time ago a very good guitar player turned me on to the first Chester and Lester album. (Chet Atkins and Les Paul to the underprivileged) That album is in the top ten of anything I've heard from great guitar players!

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 08:52:13 PM »
Gene - I am with you.

I love music - but, I have to admit I am partial to really great guitar players and trumpet / flugelhorn players... pretty much any way they want to play them...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 08:53:55 PM »
And piano...

Dang, I love good music - I don't care the style - good is good!
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 09:27:16 PM »
Jerry Reed could really bend those strings as well  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 01:55:19 AM »
Jerry Reed could really bend those strings as well  8)

Here's some string bendin' for ya, Smoke!

Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 02:38:27 AM »
Put me in the mood... riffing on some old favorites...

There are a few trumpet / flugelhorn players that are in my top category...

- Chuck Mangione - makes the flugelhorn cry

Don Ellis - Image of Maria - watched him play this as I sat on the lawn by the Waikiki Aquarium with the best girl I ever knew. Made the trumpet sing

- Bill Chase (died way too soon) had all the ability to be the very best ever.

- Maynard Ferguson  one of the best if not THE best "screamers ever." He could play notes that did not exist and they were musical...

- And for me, the guy who started it all for trumpet players - Harry James doing the Flight of the Bumble Bee

Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 03:05:36 AM »
And then there is this guy - Stevie Ray Vaughan...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »
Chet's fingers move across the guitar strings like a spider crawling on the golden strings of a heavenly harp.

Notice his suspenders are clip ons and not built in buttons for braces which he most likely could afford.

A country singer who had a voice as smooth as silk and reminds me of the smoothness of Chet's guitar is George Hamilton IV.  Look him up on Youtube.
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 11:28:01 AM »
And then there is this guy - Stevie Ray Vaughan...
Stevie was one of the best.
David if you like Stevie Ray Vaughan,  check out Chris Duarte. Very similar guitar virtuoso. He played nearby in a friend's
bar on an off-nite and then became a regular when he was traveling to or from Chicago. In 1995 Guitar Player named him the 4th or 5th greatest living blues guitar player. And a good man to boot!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 11:48:49 AM »
Cant leave out the Swamp Rock legend:

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 12:04:23 PM »
 Stevie has always been one of my top favorites. My teens were spent listening to him.  I bought tickets to a show to see him and Eric Clapton in Biloxi Ms.  Stevie died in the crash before he made the show. The show canceled of coarse but that soon changed. Stevie's mother and brother Jimmy ask Eric to finish the tour because it is what Stevie would had wanted.
 After a short tearful explanation by Eric explaining why they decided to finish the tour. We found out that he was going to do Stevie's entire set and his own set that night.
 Maybe it was the emotions of the night but I have never before or after seen a show that good. Eric got called back twice for Stevie's set. But he never left the stage. After the second song he went straight into his set. The only time he even sat down that night was for a drum solo. He sat in one of those white plastic chairs right on stage.
 At the end of his show he waved and left the stage. This was now almost 4 hours on stage. The crowd was roaring more than any I have heard.  He returned and played two more songs...
 So I'll have to add Eric Clapton to this list of all time greats as well.   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"