Author Topic: Asking for opinions on pistols  (Read 7302 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Asking for opinions on pistols
« Reply #-1 on: January 21, 2016, 08:11:25 PM »
Well got the urge to buy a hand gun and been looking at different models. 

9 mm is ok but not enough knock down power
.40 cal seems a good choice but been told by many gun smiths here to go with a 1911 model SIG or Remington .45   

The SIG .45 I'm looking at is a shorter barrel but would be much easier to carry
The Remington is a standard length .45 but a little longer barrel
The Glock's don't have a safety so Kimmie would not be happy to have that one in the house

So I ask does anyone own a SIG or a Remington .45 that could give some in-site??   

[attachment deleted by admin]
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pappymn

« on: January 21, 2016, 08:20:37 PM »
Looking forward to input. Have been considering one too. 9mm so far is my favorite. World is only getting less safe
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Asking for opinions on pistols
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 08:23:57 PM »
I would not look past the 9mm until you explore some of the current generation ammo for them. VERY good stopping power.  And - in-between the 2 calibers you mentioned - the .40 cal. is a very good balance of power, capacity, and manageable recoil. Nothing matters if you can't hit a target. ;)

Recommend that you go to gun range that has pistols they rent for you to try out. These are most always attached to a gun shop . My favorite currently if the Springfield XD and XDM series. It is the ONLY pistol tested that passes the NATO standard for durability. Over 500,000 rounds without a failure.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:24:40 PM »
For the first time I have been thinking the same as you guys
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 08:27:17 PM »

For the first time I have been thinking the same as you guys

Which explains why my Smith and Wesson stock is up over 100% in the past 6 months.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 08:53:57 PM »
How true Pappy How true
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Bigfish8

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »
I do not have experience with the pistols you specifically asked about but own several pistols.  You are obviously shopping and I highly recommend you take the advice offered earlier.  Go to a range where you can rent pistols and try out different ones to determine what you like the best.  What do you want to do with a pistol?  Do you plan to conceal carry?  If so you really need to consider a compact 380 or 9 mm.  A 9 mm with +P defensive rounds has plenty of punch.  The other thing you should consider is to plan to practice.  Ammo for a 45 is pretty expensive.

Concerning Glocks - you can purchase a custom made piece of plastic that inserts behind the trigger and prevents the trigger from being squeezed accidentally.  It quickly pops out with a side push of your trigger finger. 
Grill Dome XL
Weber 22" & 26" Kettle
Grillman 2' X 3" Stainless Gas Grill
Grillman 2' X 3' Black Steel Gas Grill
Stainless Steel "Big Poppa" Drum Smoker
Blaz'n Grand Slam Pellet Grill

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 09:24:43 PM »
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline highball

• South of Seattle
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 09:53:32 PM »
I carry a North American arms .22 mag and or a North American arms 380 guardian.
My thinking is "it is only viable if it is with you 24/7". A small pocket gun that is always there is far better than a 45 cal that is in your dresser drawer at home. If I am dressed I am armed.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:12:41 AM by highball »
Weber 26
Blackstone Griddle
Green Egg
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Performer
24" Discada
RT-700 Bull

Best Regards,
 Mike

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 10:19:42 PM »
Tommy what is the gun for?
For plinking & varmits a Browning buckmark 22 is hard to beat.
My favorite pistol is a k-tec 22 magnum , a very easy shooting underestimated round.
9 mm rounds have become as cheep as 22's a good round to learn to shoot with.
I have all 3.
For personal defense pepper spray on your keychain may be best for out of home.
For home a short barreled 12 guage with 4 shot may be best bet
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 10:25:47 PM »
Tommy I have a Remington 12 gauge for home defense. Accuracy is not as important with a spread shot. Just point in the general direction. Stopping power is no question. Just the sound of the rack engaging might make a suspect flee.

Just an option if you want something just to defend your home.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline DWard51

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 10:32:39 PM »
x2 on not selling a 9mm short.  With modern personal defense ammo, a 9mm is now considered on par with .40S&W law enforcement ammo.   Our agency is transitioning from .40S&W back to 9mm for several reasons.  For 1, the performance on target is roughly equal with modern ammo.  Ammo is cheaper than .40 and easier to find (especially training ammo).  Since 9mm is a NATO round it can be found in bulk for much less than .40 and .45acp.  Recoil is less with a 9mm than a .40S&W and considerably less than the .45acp.  We are swapping out the model 23 .40S&W for model 19 9mm later this year.

As to guns, there is nothing wrong with a Glock.  I have 3 in .40S&W and 2 in 9mm.  My current favorite is the 9mm model 43 (the super small single stack 9mm).  It is my off duty concealed carry. With a Pearce +1 grip, you have 7 in the magazine and 1 in the pipe (same as the 1911).  This thing is super small and light. Even if they took back my issued model 43, I would buy one that day.  That's how much I like the model 43.

A Glock will go bang every time you pull the trigger, even if mistreated. As far as not having a safety, they do, it's just not an external switch like the 1911.  The one caveat is a Glock should always be carried in a holster that covers the trigger area completely (as truly any handgun should).  If a jacket toggle, keys or whatever do get on the trigger and pressure is applied, the Glock will do what is designed to when the trigger is pulled, go bang.  But the trigger must be pulled to make that happen. A 1911 style gun would not as you have a thumb safety and a grip or "lemon squeezer" safety.  But the 1911 style must be carried "cocked and locked" with an exposed hammer which can be prone to hanging on clothing during the draw in a stress situation.  Not an issue with the Glock as the hammer is internal.

I also have a SIG 226 in 9mm.  I love the SIG.  It's from when the 226 first came out (mine is a Austrian model and is DA/SA not DAO like some of the new ones).  My only gripe about the SIG is it's size.  It's big and thick, but it is a fine shooting gun.  The US Military wanted the SIG instead of the Beretta, but price was the issue so the went with the Beretta. Nothing SIG makes is inexpensive.  I was looking at their 9mm SIG 938 "nightmare" model before the office bought me a Glock 43.

Since I'm pushing the 9mm, go with the 124grain Gold Dot +P ammo.  If you go with a small "short barrel" 9mm like the Glock 43, they have a version of the Gold Dot +P "short barrel" ammo that gives the same performance as full sized in the "mouse guns".  They use a faster burning powder and a softer lead to get the same velocity and expansion performance.

Now if you want the ULTIMATE in personal defense handguns, get a Taurus Judge or Governor and carry the Lehigh Defense Maximum Expansion Colt .45 ammo.   If whatever you shoot with that, is still standing...  RUN LIKE HELL.  Watch this video and you will understand.

And Muebe is right about a 12 gauge with #4 shot being perfect for in home defense.  A little hard to conceal carry though.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 10:33:44 PM »
I have a 9 mm Glock 17 for home care and a S&W Airlight .38 Special to carry.  It is the ideal size and weight for me to conceal in a few different ways.  Just renewed my permit last month.

I'm with Tim - try several before you buy.

just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 10:43:47 PM »
Tommy

I have a Colt 1911 45, Springfield xd4 40cal. Both are heavy. My EDC is a Taurus Millenium G2 9mm.
Take in consideration the weight of some of the larger frame autos.

Chrystal carries a  Springfield xd3 9mm.

I recently added this to the 5th wheel inventory. S&W MP AR 22LR

There are some really good sub compact EDC weapons out there for a decent non wallet breaking price. IMHO why pay big $$$ for a Kimber....Just sayin
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.