Author Topic: Ozark Oak Lump Charcoal  (Read 520 times)

Offline OzarkSmoke

Ozark Oak Lump Charcoal
« Reply #-1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:32:58 PM »
Those of you that use this brand have probably heard by now that they went out of business.
I've read a few things on-line about this, only to find what I hear locally is a different story.
Since I live less than twenty minutes away from this plant, and have been buying this product
for more than a couple decades, I thought I'd pass along what I have heard locally.
(By the way, I've enjoyed driving to the plant all these years, backing up the truck,
and filling it with broken bags (most usually 95% full .. only cosmetic rips and tears,
for a HUGE discount.) They have always been great people to deal with.
So what I hear locally is that they were not sold to Royal Oak, but to AG Warehouse.
AG is a huge grocery wharehouse that services many grocery stores in the Ozarks, along with many independent grocers.
They currently have their own branded lump charcoal under their private "Best Choice" label.
I do not know who currently manufactures that product for them, nor have I ever tried that brand.
The business was sold mainly due to the tightening, and future tightening of pollution laws.
So although the plant did get sold, it is intended for the plant to re-open, but under an AG labelled product.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Ozark Oak Lump Charcoal
« on: January 23, 2016, 08:42:50 PM »
Good to know! It is a sad thing to see a brand go out....Maybe they will get the plant going again tho.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401