Author Topic: Kassler Ham for Easter 2016  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Kassler Ham for Easter 2016
« Reply #-1 on: March 23, 2016, 01:09:48 PM »
Mar 23 2016

It is always a little in doubt around here when we will have our family Easter meal. Our son and wife do not plan very far ahead! Sometimes we have just gone out to eat. The daughter in law does like to go to her parents too.

I think I have it covered! I just put a pork loin in to brine for a Kassler German Pork Loin. I will be able to smoke it Saturday or Sunday. This is an old German recipe and Kassler ham is still popular in Germany and available at most meat markets.

It is a little like Canadian bacon or pea meal bacon but has more spices added to the brine. I love it sliced thin of thick. Sliced thicker it makes great sandwiches.

I used my injector from Grillbeast for the first time. It is a nice one. I mixed up the brine with just the water, salt, sugar and pink salt, (cure #1) then injected the loin. I added the loin and the rest of the spices to the brine, stirred the spices in, added a plate to keep the loin under the brine and then in the fridge.

Smokin Don

Recipe:

Kasseler German pork loin

Ingredients
1 ¼ cups sugar  (¾ cup)
2 ¾ TBS pink salt
Fresh or dried sage leaves
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 T. juniper berries
1 tsp. coriander
garlic cloves
"Meat"
1 pork loin without back ribs, 4 - 5 pounds
"Equipment"
Alder or beech wood chips
Smoker or grill
Meat thermometer
How to make it
Prepare the loin by removing all but a thin layer of fat. I recommend a loin, not a rib roast. Inject the loin with the brine. Place the loin in the brine and weight it down with a plate or other object to keep it submerged.
Refrigerate for 48 to 72 hours.

Remove the loin from the brine. Discard brine; wash off the pork with cold water and pat dry. You may dry it in the refrigerator for up to a day (do not cover with any wrap).

Prepare your smoker: Smoker temp at 250F; cook to 150 deg. IT. Double wrap in plastic wrap and double foil. Place in a cooler to rest for an hour. I preheat my oven to 200 deg. then turn off and let rest there. Remove and when cool enough place in the fridge for two days before using.

I cut back on the salt and sugar. Noted in parenthesis and added 3 bay leaves. Otherwise I followed the recipe.

Above is the original recipe.

I first found a recipe from Bubba at a Homemade Sausage Making forum. All other recipes I have found looks like a copy of his ingredients.

There was concern on that forum about the short brining time and all agreed injecting with the brine was a must. I injected mine with the brine and it set for 60 hours in the brine. I rinsed it well and air dried in the fridge for 2 ½ hours before smoking.

I did mine on smoke mode for an hour then went to 225 deg. on my Traeger pellet smoker for the rest of the cook. I was using Traeger oak pellets and added some additional smoke with Amazn tube smoker filled with Smokin Bros. 100% apple wood pellets. With the Traeger set at 225 deg. it will run about 245 deg. at grill level. It was up to an IT of 150 deg. for a total cook time of 3 ¼ hours. I pulled and covered with foil for a half hour rest then let cool about another hour. I wrapped in plastic wrap and the foil; placed in the fridge for two days before slicing and reheating.

I thought it turned out great, a good ham taste but less salty than most ham and a little sweeter with a slight smoke taste. It was tender but had good texture. I thought I got good penetration from the cure and brine, when I sliced it; it was a uniform color all through.

If I do over I will probably go with injecting and brine 3 days then air dry overnight in the fridge.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Kassler Ham for Easter 2016
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:04:29 PM »
Don, I love love that you're doing this! 

The Kassler hams I've done have always been a hit around here, especially with the wife.  The juniper berries give such a great flavor. 

I can't wait to see this one done

Quote from: Smoin Don
There was concern on that forum about the short brining time and all agreed injecting with the brine was a must.

Did anyone on that forum talk about or give an injection rate (how much brine to inject per lb of meat), for that particular recipe?

If not, I calculated it out and here's the info:

This Recipe calls for 2 3/4 TBS (about 49.5 grams) of cure #1 per gallon of water.   To stay within USDA safety guidelines (120 - 200 parts per million ingoing nitrite) we need an injection rate of  anywhere between 15% - 24%. 

In other words:  roughly 2.5 - 3.5 oz of brine injected for each lb of meat.

At that pump rate I'd go 4 - 6 days in the brine should be good.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »
Don I think Sweetie and I need to uproot from Savannah, GA and move in next to you.
Maybe we could get some scraps. :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:17:03 PM by Savannahsmoker »
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 04:14:10 PM »
Bookmarked!  It sounds so good!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 04:37:43 PM »
Don, I love love that you're doing this! 

The Kassler hams I've done have always been a hit around here, especially with the wife.  The juniper berries give such a great flavor. 

I can't wait to see this one done

Quote from: Smoin Don
There was concern on that forum about the short brining time and all agreed injecting with the brine was a must.

Did anyone on that forum talk about or give an injection rate (how much brine to inject per lb of meat), for that particular recipe?

If not, I calculated it out and here's the info:

This Recipe calls for 2 3/4 TBS (about 49.5 grams) of cure #1 per gallon of water.   To stay within USDA safety guidelines (120 - 200 parts per million ingoing nitrite) we need an injection rate of  anywhere between 15% - 24%. 

In other words:  roughly 2.5 - 3.5 oz of brine injected for each lb of meat.

At that pump rate I'd go 4 - 6 days in the brine should be good.

Thanks for that info Cliff! I never did understand trying for a volume to inject Cliff. When I inject I always get a lot running out, so how much am I getting into the meat. For this one I followed the instructions that came with the injector, to space about every 2 inches. My thoughts are in the old days brining and curing was for storage safety and the side benefit was the taste. With todays refrigeration I am thinking if you get the taste you want then you have brined or cured it OK. If I am wrong in this thinking please let me know Cliff. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 05:06:10 AM »
Quote from: Smokin Don
For this one I followed the instructions that came with the injector, to space about every 2 inches. My thoughts are in the old days brining and curing was for storage safety and the side benefit was the taste. With todays refrigeration I am thinking if you get the taste you want then you have brined or cured it OK. If I am wrong in this thinking please let me know Cliff. Don

Don,  You are absolutely correct that curing was originally used as a way to safely preserve meat, and even with modern refrigeration, curing has benefits. Not only does it improve flavor, it also extends the shelf life, and makes meat safe for cold-smoking by killing the deadly C. Botulinum bacteria.

Injecting something such as marinade, apple juice, beef broth, etc. is different from a brine which contains nitrite/nitrate.  In this case it's BEST if we know how much nitrite we're getting into the meat to both make it safe for cold-smoking AND stay within USDA safety guidelines.

The concentration of nitrite in the brine is the determining factor.  The higher the concentration, the less brine you need to inject.

Since we know exactly how much nitrite this recipe uses per gallon, I just wanted to give a more precise injection rate for anyone who might want to try this recipe.

Hope this makes sense.

Cliff

P.S You do realize that you've now joined the rank of us crazy ham/bacon/sausage makers don't you?   :P

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 10:32:07 AM »
Thanks Cliff for the info! I know that getting the right amount of cure in sausages was important especially if dry curing or cold smoking. If I do the Kassler ham for Easter I will probably smoke it on Sat. just shy of being in the brine 72 hours. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »
Don has been at this a long time - but, for those that are new to curing meats:

Cliff's input on the specifics of how much cure - what kind - and how to measure are truly valuable to anyone that want to try their hand at curing.

We want to be safe, and insure that we can produce a finished product that everyone will enjoy. When we use any chemicals - including salts and sugars - it is worth considering what the health impacts are. Because cured meats represent the highest potential risk that most cooks will undertake - it is prudent to read, and get comfortable - and ask all of the questions that you want - before attempting a cure meat project.

"More" - when it comes to adding extra cure - is NOT BETTER....I have been in on conversations where folks recommended "just add a little more cure to be safe..." as advice to someone new to curing their own meats. That is NOT good advice. The curing salts themselves if over used/under used - are bad for your health. ( Plenty of information available from USDA, and others...)

There are specifics ( again - refer to many of the posts from Tenthunter, and nepas, and others ) to insure that you can add a valuable skill set to your cooking repertoire  :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 12:48:33 AM »
Mar 26 2016

Well at 9 AM my pork loin had been in the brine for 70 hours for my Kassler ham. I rinsed it well and then back in the fridge to air dry for two hours. I would have liked to let it air dry longer, I was about a day behind getting this started for Easter.

I fired up my Traeger to 200 deg. and got the loin on at 11 AM. I placed it fat side down. I had a piece I cut off to fit my brining pot so I seasoned it withy some Super Pig and Penzey's Cajun seasoning. I figured I would save it for seasoning meat. After an hour I went to 225 deg. and was running 250 to 260 deg. at grill level. I was looking for an IT of 150 deg. and was surprised when it came up in about 2 hours and 20 minutes total. The recipe calls for smoking with alder or beech but I had Lumberjack hickory so I went with that.

My last one took just over 3 hours but was from the large end of a loin and this was from the small end. I double checked the temp with my thermopen and it was done. I double wrapped in foil and in my microwave where it set for an hour. I took it out and let cool some more and then went into the fridge until tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will reheat in a Crockpot for my Easter dinner. I left the seasoned piece in the smoker for about 10 minutes more then let it cool some.  I had to try a piece of it so I sliced a piece, dang that was good so I sliced a second piece and then a third! The only negative was maybe a little salty so hope my ham for tomorrow is not too salty.

Smokin Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 03:55:44 AM »
Lookin real good to me..Happy Easter to you and Nancy and family  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron