Author Topic: How Is Your Grill Covered In The Rain?  (Read 536 times)

Offline NorCalQ

How Is Your Grill Covered In The Rain?
« Reply #-1 on: November 11, 2012, 10:23:54 PM »
I know lots of you are fortunate enough to have deck covers and the like.  I'm not that fortunate.  I have a MAK2 and need to have it covered in the rain.  It sits next to my house, under a short eve and gets rained on.  The MAK cover gets pretty soaked, so I used some thick plastic to cover it.  It keeps the rain off great, but also collects moisture inside, to point of looking like it rained inside the cover.  I tried cutting holes in the top and covering them for ventilation, but that didn't work. I'm wondering what others use as rain covers.
Funny thing is, I have my Primo, a bunch of charcoal and some bags of pellets covered by a coated tarp from Home Depot and it never gets wet inside.  Is it the tarp that makes the difference?  I really don't understand this.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: How Is Your Grill Covered In The Rain?
« on: November 12, 2012, 12:43:40 AM »
We keep our MAK & Stoven both covered with a small 5 X 7 shed we bought earlier this year. It was well worth the investment to keep them both safe out of the weather.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: How Is Your Grill Covered In The Rain?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 07:39:48 AM »
Your Mak drips inside due to condensation. Its because the temperature in the grill is warmer than outside.  Imagine a cold soda can and how moisture will collect on the outside when it is warm out, the can is not leaking it is condensation. You can use fans to to blow the moisture away but thats a waste of electricity. Mother nature is not nice sometimes. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a metal shed from Sears as you will have the same problem. I did that years ago and I may as well left my stuff out in the rain because that metal shed sweat so bad it was raining condensation inside. Good luck!!
I payed $1600 for a awning but when its windy out the rain blows in sideways.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:44:13 AM by Keymaster »