Author Topic: Cooking with Fire on a wooden deck  (Read 2035 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Cooking with Fire on a wooden deck
« Reply #-1 on: August 19, 2016, 01:19:51 PM »
DISCLAIMER the safest way to cook with fire on a deck is to not do it or have a metal or concrete deck.
There is no risk free way to cook on a wood or composite deck!
Their are things to reduce your risk.
Outdoor treated lumber is fire resistant ( not fire proof), some composite materials are fire resistant but varies.
To add resistance placing a fire resistant material between the cooker and the deck ,specifically where embers , wood or charcoal could fall will help.
A concrete pad is an easy, inexpensive way to go.
I use 12 in X 12 in pavers ( cost about $1.00-1.25 ) to make a pad.
I have also used a concrete grilling pad but pricy if you need a large area.
Their are fire resistant coating you can "paint on your wooden deck.
Last but not least water the deck before cooking & after soak the area thoroughly.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 03:29:23 PM by LostArrow »
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Cooking with Fire on a wooden deck
« on: August 19, 2016, 02:20:48 PM »
Great advice!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 03:21:17 PM »
I just want to know why he knows this  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D :D :D ??? ???
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 01:29:27 PM »
I just want to know why he knows this  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D :D :D ??? ???

X2 ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 02:50:15 PM »
***Confession to Follow***
I will tell this ONCE...enjoy at my expense ;)....
Many years ago...in my first appt.... we had wooden decks. I was on the 2nd floor. Missing the thanksgiving time of the year - and wanted a smoked turkey so bad I was having dreams about it. So....I figured I would "be careful" ::)....and wait until late nite - smoke it all nite in a 2nd hand Brinkmann that I had, and finish the job before sun up, dispose of the "evidence" - and none would be the wiser. It is extraordinary powers of reasoning like this that brought you products like instant water - "just add water" and....aerosol Nair - for that "fresh groomed look" ( also sold under private label as the Steve Harvey Groom and Head Polish kit.... ;D) We had a nice 6-7" snow fall that nite - and I was concerned that might slow my cook. Heck, I could finish it in the oven if needed tho...Carry on!
SO - thinking I would keep myself occupied and awake ::)  by have an adult beverage or 10 ( funny...we call 'em "adult" beverages....but they make us act very adolescent...hmmm?  ;D) and woke up to the sound of someone pounding on my door. It was bright outside, as is often the case when it is nearing 9: a.m. and that pounding on the door was the maintenance man - who live directly below my apartment - NOW he tells me... ???.Seems he was VERY unhappy with my ignoring the fire code - and performing such a quality circus act as burning a perfectly round hole thru the deck - and coming close to burning down the building - potentially killing all of the occupants...of which he was one... Also seems that he did not see the humor of there being a smoldering Brinkmann  - which looked a bit disheveled due to the unplanned vertical drop to his deck. It looked like it needed a chiropractor and maybe a tinsmith...or mostly it needed to find Sanford and Son for a new home...  NOR was he ecstatic to look up and see a perfectly round burned hole in the deck - which was the one attached to my appt.....Seems that the snow had contained any embers to exactly the profile of the old, dried 2"x8" deck boards. Perfect circle - charred nice and black - with a "skylight" where the Brinkmann sat just the nite before. Now, thank G_d the deck below was concrete... Or we may have all been burned alive by my stupidity....
After much groveling and gnashing of teeth, I convinced him to not tell the appt. Mgr. until  Monday. It was now Sat. about 9 a.m....and the race was on to find another appt.. Because Monday came and there was a litigiously worded eviction notice on my door - along with a personal note from said battle-axe appt. manager which questioned my genetics, parentage and the potential of jail time. All in a neat little package that was easy to understand.
But...I rescued the turkey. Figured it was some kinda wrong for that bird to give it's life in a nobel fashion in order for me to have some Thanksgiving dinner.
Moral of the story? - DON'T be this that guy.... :D :o ::)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 04:18:19 PM »
Soooooooo....... How was the turkey? 8)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 05:20:09 PM »
Soooooooo....... How was the turkey? 8)

Best I EVER had....Something about the adrenaline rush flavored it better than any seasoning..... :D :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 05:22:17 PM »
I think the "evidence" against you was pretty circumstantial.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 05:39:56 PM »
I think the "evidence" against you was pretty circumstantial.

Perhaps....but the rurkey would give me up to the prosecution. So I had to eat the evidencd.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline LostArrow

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 06:07:16 PM »

I'm not saying cook on a wooden deck but most of the people I know who have a deck , if the cooker will fit its on the deck.
We all engage in risky behavior , driving, hunting, boating etc.
I'm just giving a few suggestions to reduce the risk.
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 06:34:16 PM »
I was cooking on a wood deck that over-looked another wood deck in a forest. This is a great read LA and it should remind us all that wherever we cook we should be safe and careful.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Subvet

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »
Sure glad I read this post because after seeing the photo in your "Cooking deck" post the other day I had decided it must not be a big deal to cook on a wooden deck. I found a cement fiber grilling mat at HD for about $45 but haven't bought it. After reading tee's turkey story I probably couldn't sleep at night if I had an all night smoke going. I've never had a smoker/grill so learning things like in this post. Maybe you just saved me from burning down my composite deck.

I may be able to fit my Open Range on the back concrete porch when it gets here. The porch is covered and the wall of the house is brick.

How far from wall should I set the smoker? The ceiling of the porch is the standard 8' high. Would a smoker like the OR put out so much heat that it might set the ceiling on fire? These are kind of dumb questions but when it comes to smoking/grilling I ain't very bright.
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline LostArrow

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 07:40:25 PM »
Sure glad I read this post because after seeing the photo in your "Cooking deck" post the other day I had decided it must not be a big deal to cook on a wooden deck. I found a cement fiber grilling mat at HD for about $45 but haven't bought it. After reading tee's turkey story I probably couldn't sleep at night if I had an all night smoke going. I've never had a smoker/grill so learning things like this post. Maybe you just saved me from burning down my composite deck.

I may be able to fit my Open Range on the back concrete porch when it gets here. The porch is covered and the wall of the house is brick.

How far from wall should I set the smoker? The ceiling of the porch is the standard 8' high. Would a smoker like the OR put out so much heat that it might set the ceiling on fire? These are kind of dumb questions but when it comes to smoking/grilling I ain't very bright.
I cook on 3 wooden decks , one at home & 2 at hunt camp..
The open range firebox is high , the most likely fire hazard would be from you dropping a lit charcoal briquette from your fire starter before your even cooking.
If you put down fire resistant mat don't put under the cooker but in front where you could drop a briquette.
The problem with under an porch is that smoke can find its way into the house, not dangerous unless you're spouse kills you.
If it were me I'd put pavers underneath & in front of firebox & not worry.
By the way I started this post to advise you.

New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle

Offline Subvet

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 07:55:47 PM »
I really appreciate the advice and thanks for starting the post.  I hadn't thought about smoke being drawn into the house from the porch but that would probably happen. I used an electric skillet out there a couple of times to fry okra and the smell got into the adjacent room.

I've got some 12" square tiles and could put them under the unit and the mat in front of the fire box. thanks for the tip on putting the mat in front. Hadn't thought of that. I really want to have it on the deck so I can reverse the smoker lid and have the fire box on one side and smoker on the other.
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline LostArrow

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 08:07:05 PM »
I really appreciate the advice and thanks for starting the post.  I hadn't thought about smoke being drawn into the house from the porch but that would probably happen. I used an electric skillet out there a couple of times to fry okra and the smell got into the adjacent room.

I've got some 12" square tiles and could put them under the unit and the mat in front of the fire box. thanks for the tip on putting the mat in front. Hadn't thought of that. I really want to have it on the deck so I can reverse the smoker lid and have the fire box on one side and smoker on the other.
Best way to set up Open Range
Firebox makes a good charcoal grill
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle