Author Topic: Cooker quandary  (Read 4642 times)

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
Cooker quandary
« Reply #-1 on: August 27, 2016, 11:31:09 AM »
He guys, a little background. Small time poster, big time lurker and info sponge. Long time BBQ'r, mostly on open pit Santa Maria style Ques as I'm from that area and that's how we do it around here! Nothing beats open pit cooking on red oak. Have had a cheap smoker that was a pain in the rear to use, but learned a lot and turned out some good grub with it.....and some not so good! Decided to get a slightly better gas grill recently and picked up a Weber Spirit 330 that's fine for quick meals and burgers, but no oak grill, obviously. Then I was wanting an easier smoker to use that worked better and ran across the Pit Barrel Cooker. Thought it was kind of cool, fit the bill, and most importantly at the time, the budget! fought with the thing for a while and have/had mixed feelings about it. The last 2 cooks though were awesome! Great pulled pork and did my first packer brisket that was amazing. Don't think I'm going to get rid of it, but isn't my go to either.

So now my question and why I'm here. I've been squirreling some $ away and have decided that I'm going to get a good cooker with it. This is my problem though, which one to get?! I've got about $1300 to spend, give or take. I'm looking for versatile and fairly easy to use as I don't want something that needs constant attention to run.

Pellet grill: Have never had one and actually haven't eaten off of one either. They seem to be an all around cooker that have a wide range. Just wonder if the real light smoke flavor is going to be a turn off for me. I'm used to tasting the fire. I'm not talking super smokey, but do enjoy the fire taste. Like the set it and forget it part of em though and can see using it a lot! Now of course which brand?? So many to choose from. Blazi'n grills seems to be well liked and a quality unit, am kind of leaning that way on pellet grills right now. Was a bit intrigued with the Camp Chef at first for it's price point and decent value as a starter to see if it's my bag or not.

Karubaque: Now this thing I like! Real wood smoke and a very quality unit! Set it and forget it? Not even! I like the real wood aspect, the quality, and the capacity of the thing. Just wonder how much I'm going to use it having to feed it every 30-45 minutes. That was the issue with the cheap smoker, had to check and adjust it about every 30 minutes to keep it in line.

Kamodos: Tried and true, pretty versatile, very efficient, and use lump charcoal so real fire taste. Wasn't really on my radar at first, but getting up into the higher price range for a cooker they are now more of an option and starting to look at them a little more. Only downside I see is possibly capacity for parties. Maybe not, I'm not sure.

Ideal scenario? Have one of each of course! Right now though, I'm looking for versatile, easier to use, and quality. So many choices! The more I read the more confused I become right now. So of these choices based on my wants, what would be the one cooker you would choose and why? I know that thread has been going, but this pertains to my wants/needs. Deep down I already know the true answer.....which ever I choose, if a quality unit, I will be happy with it and enjoy cooking with it. Spare me the philosophical lesson and give me your blunt opinion!

Sorry for the rambling, just needed to get it all out. Have no one around me as into grilling and cookers as me so you are my outlet right now.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Cooker quandary
« on: August 27, 2016, 11:37:41 AM »
I think you will be happiest with your eventual choice if you create a list of priorities, and expectations.

Example-
1. Do I want to have a lot of "hands-off" time or do I want to have a pit that I must tend more often? Personal preference - no righter wrong answers here...
2. Do I prefer the taste and aroma of charcoal - or "live wood" cooking? The other fuel sources..Natural gas or propane?

3. Space considerations - How big or small does this new pit need to be to serve all of your needs?

4. Upgradability?...Yes - it can be done...with certain brands of pellet grills especially. Some are quite easy.

5. Available accessories. Some brands have more than others. And some have a lot of 3rd party manufactured products .

Just some things to help you narrow down the hunt. ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 12:00:28 PM »
I have a ceramic and a BK Keg(kamado grills), a couple of Traegers and an electric smoker. For you and what you're looking for I'd suggest the "The YS640 Pellet Grill". On my want list!
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 12:35:27 PM »
I have some of what you're looking at. My newest cooker is the KBQ. It requires the most attention but it makes the best food I've ever cooked, so your input is greatly rewarded. I also have a pellet grill, used to have 2 but sold one. I also had a PBC and like you, had mixed feelings about it, sold it to the same guy that bought my other pellet grill. I also have an electric smoker (Smokin-It #3) and 3 Kamados (Kegs, like Cajunate has). Here's my take on each.

Kamados : Very fuel efficient. About as hands off as you can get for a charcoal (lump) based cooker. For low and slow cooks, load up the firebowl with lump, light it in the middle and they can cook a LONG time uninterrupted. The bad side of this is it is a PAIN to add more wood (if smoking) if you need to. They are not a one trick pony though, they can do high heat cooks and even bake. These days we use our 3 Kegs mostly for high heat stuff. Kegged pizzas are awesome as are burgers and steaks. It has a top grate so you can cook a fair amount of food on one. My choice, however, would be an oval Kamado (Primo).

Electric : These are used like your oven. If you can turn a knob, you can cook in an electric smoker. The smoke in a "good" electric smoker (no disrespect to Masterbuilt intended and by good I mean a stainless steel body with compression latch system and a high watt heating element) is different from that from a Kamado, pellet grill or stick burner. It IS easy to oversmoke in one as it smolders wood rather than burn it. It is a pleasant taste that I like but it's not the same as a live fire environment. They usually have a large capacity for food considering the small space they take up. Being a cabinet smoker though, if you cram it full of food, be prepared to rotate it to make sure it cooks evenly and on time.

Pellet : Close to a set it and forget it. As long as you have a big enough hopper for pellets and keep your pellet grill in tip top shape, clean it after every use, you should be fine cooking with it unattended. It's when you don't keep that firepot clean and keep the ashes out of it that it can pose a problem with the auger area letting smoke and flame back into the hopper and creating a big azz fire you hadn't planned on. Add to that the potential for the auger to fail (it happens) and your fire going out meaning wasted meat in the morning. This is my least favorite device to do overnighters on because of this. The pellet poopers get a knock on not having enough smoke, I think it has plenty depending on what you're looking for. I find pellets DO make a difference. Cookingpellets.com has really good stuff. Honest to goodness pellets, not alderwood flavored with other wood oils. I find pellet grills are awesome for chicken and ribs. That, to me, is where they shine. Larger cuts like brisket and butts are not my favorite to cook on pellet grills.

KBQ : Burns sticks and a lot of them. It's modern enough to control the cooking environment with a rheostat and has a convection fan to circulate the heat and smoke but it has a small firebox by design and does require you keep it happy, with a nice bed of coals. The smoke it makes is NOTHING like you've had before. It's pure as the driven snow, lol. The food it makes is just downright spectacular. Nothing else I own or have owned touches this thing. Granted, I have only had it a week but I have cooked 6 whole chickens on it in addition to a packer brisket and a pan of baked beans. I didn't eat the chicken as they were for a friend's church but he said it was AWESOME! I can tell you that the brisket and beans were the best I've ever made/eaten with the exception of Franklin BBQ. I think with the right brisket (wagyu) I could be knocking on his doorstep though!

So as you can see, I really like ALL of my cookers but if it were to come to being just down to one, space savings or whatever. I'd choose a Kamado since they can do so many things, more than any of my other cookers. They are not the best in any one category other than high heat stuff but they indeed do everything well.

I hope this helps!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 03:50:22 PM »
I  am no expert & don't invest the time or money as many of the others on here do...but I was invited to a Green Egg demo day  with the Rep on the 10th. Costco has reps at some of their stores so try to find some events & attend. Tailgating also lets you see all types of cookers just take a walk. Tailgaters will also let you sample food at most events. So pick your favorite team go to a game & learn.  The last thing is if you are near one of these meet & greet forum events try to attend one.

I always believe live is best.

If I ever want a smoker I will try (a few) before I buy unless I get in with a cheap one. but that's me.  I could buy a boat tomorrow because I always research them.........One test drive & I know what I like......so put in the effort.....& you will be rewarded
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 05:03:40 PM »
You have been given some great advice so far so I will keep my advice simple.

I would say add a Weber performer to your list. Can't beat a kettle for smoking and grilling. Very versatile and when used properly requires very little babysitting. Obviously under your price range so keep that money and save up more for the next grill.

Want heavy smoke flavor? Add more wood.

My next smoker purchase will be a KBQ but don't have the funds for it currently.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 05:07:56 PM »
Chargriller AKORN Kamado.
All Kamado's cook the same.
They are Swiss Army knives for outdoor cooking.
Good set & forget smokers.
Good charcoal grill
Good pizza oven
Unsurpassed for cooking in the cold & or rain.
The AKORN is only about $300. When they first came out the worry was longevity, but mine is 4 & 1/2 , Every year I post a poll on a kamado forum where the AKORN is the most common cooker asking about problems & at 4 almost no terminal events.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline RG

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 05:14:29 PM »
Great Point LA, all Kamados do cook the same! Some are just more fuel efficient than the others and some WILL last longer but the food off of them all is the same. Akorn is a great bargain for sure.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 05:48:12 PM »
Chargriller AKORN Kamado.
All Kamado's cook the same.
They are Swiss Army knives for outdoor cooking.
Good set & forget smokers.
Good charcoal grill
Good pizza oven
Unsurpassed for cooking in the cold & or rain.
The AKORN is only about $300. When they first came out the worry was longevity, but mine is 4 & 1/2 , Every year I post a poll on a kamado forum where the AKORN is the most common cooker asking about problems & at 4 almost no terminal events.

I just grabbed one at Wal-Mart on clearance for 199.99. Now is the time to strike with stores changing their inventory from BBQ to Holloween/Christmas...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline FrugalQ

• B-TOWN INDIANA
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 07:32:59 PM »
I've seen the Akorn for 139.00 at wal-devil
IF IT BLEEDS.. WE CAN GRILL IT!
Throw some on for me!

Weber Performer Deluxe Crimson (Hoo-Hoo--Hoosiers!!)
PBC
Pit Boss PB700FB
SNS+ w/DNG
GrillGrates
Vortex
Shun & Miyabi Cutlery
Inkbird
Broil King Regal 490 Pro (R.I.P.)
Red KitchenAid Pro (its the fastest)
InstantPot
Anova
Red Thermapen MK4

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 08:21:27 PM »
all good advise and will have to re read and take it all in when i have time later. I have been eying the Akorn as well. My Walmart doesn't stock it and I can't get the sweet $139 price otherwise I would have one already just to check it out! Lowes stocks it though but still at $299.

Still leaning towards a pellet grill at this point but not too sure why. Maybe intrigue. Though part of me loves the KBQ for several reasons even though it's a bit of work. Work isn't an issue for me, heck, I'm a working contractor and bust my a$$ every day. But sometimes I want to cook something with out tending to it all day. Maybe I'm getting lazy. A year ago I would have snubbed my nose at the idea of a pellet grill or true set it and forget it type grill. That's half the fun I would have said, and it is, but not everyday. More thinking to do.........
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 09:45:58 PM »
all good advise and will have to re read and take it all in when i have time later. I have been eying the Akorn as well. My Walmart doesn't stock it and I can't get the sweet $139 price otherwise I would have one already just to check it out! Lowes stocks it though but still at $299.

Still leaning towards a pellet grill at this point but not too sure why. Maybe intrigue. Though part of me loves the KBQ for several reasons even though it's a bit of work. Work isn't an issue for me, heck, I'm a working contractor and bust my a$$ every day. But sometimes I want to cook something with out tending to it all day. Maybe I'm getting lazy. A year ago I would have snubbed my nose at the idea of a pellet grill or true set it and forget it type grill. That's half the fun I would have said, and it is, but not everyday. More thinking to do.........
[/quote

Geez! Make up your mind already!  :D Just kidding it is a big decision take your time they will all be there for you regardless of how long it takes.  For me the most and best is the Weber Gas grill although the SRG can do more than the Weber. The rec Tec pellet grill will work great when I need low and slow or like an oven. The visions ceramic and the PK both do great at indirect and direct. Good Luck, remember whatever you buy we will all be able to help you with.  ;)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Redsparow1

• Backyard Movies
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 02:38:38 PM »
I have had my share of cookers.

I have a Louisiana Grills Country Smoker Pellet grill that I rebuilt from the ground up.  I bought it second hand because the previous owner had a fire in it and was done with it, I have had fires with it.  I finally have it cooking reliably, but it has taken a lot of work to figure it out.  I have a friend that has a Traeger,  has catered huge parties with it and loves it.  I am less enamored with Pellet Grills.  I don't trust them to cook overnight.  I don't find them particularly useful for grilling, so they are best for smoking relatively quick things i.e. ribs.

I have a masterbuilt cabinet smoker.  I love my masterbuilt, I got it when I was living in Colorado and it held up to the extreme cold wonderfully.  I can cook in any season with my masterbuilt, I can set it and forget it, a bag of chips will last me forever.  It holds a ton, I did almost 100lbs of Turkey last Thanksgiving for my office.  I have had mine about 5 years now and it is still going strong.  I had a friend who had some warranty issues with his right out of the box, but he was really happy with the support he got from masterbuilt.  My palate is not sophisticated enough to say the smoke flavor is different, what I do know is I have put out a lot of delicious food from my masterbuilt.

My masterbuilt doesn't get as much use as it used to though, because of my Vision Kamado.  I upgraded from an Akorn and really, really, like the Kamado.  To me it is the best of all worlds.  With my Tip Top Temp http://www.backyardmovies.net/tag/tip-top-temp/ I have become comfortable with doing overnight cooks. I also appreciate how fuel efficient it is, I felt like my pellet grill wasted a lot of pellets just getting up to temp.  The capacity is a little bit of an issue, but if I am smoking I can put enough meat on there to feed a lot of people.  If I am grilling, I can grill hot enough to cook a lot of meat quickly, so it has just taken a little more planning.  I haven't had to re add a lot of chips, so I don't know that, that was a big deal for me.  The Vision lets you lift up part of the grate, this helps you add more charcoal or chips if needed.  Vision's customer support/warranty support has been awesome and it is built like a tank.  I have no concerns about the longevity of the grill.  Finally, Sams is clearing them out for the season, so you can snag one for $399 or so now.  They offer a tremendous value and leave a lot of your $1300 for accessories and other toys.  My vote is for a Kamado.

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 08:57:40 PM »
Lots of good points & advice.
From my point of view it comes down to what you want or need the cooker to do.  I've had my Weber gasser for 11 years, 7 years ago I was wanting a smoker.  I had seen a  Big Green Egg and knew about offset stick burners but that was about the extent of my knowledge about smokers,  In the course of looking for a deal on a BGE came across the Big Steel Keg and pulled the trigger.  No regrets.  I knew the Kamado style cookers were decent smokers and could also do high heat grilling.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn after acquiring it that it could also bake and do high heat pizzas.  A very versatile cooker.
I just put a pork butt on the Keg, will go all night.  I don't use a temp controller, comes down to knowing how to build the fire and set the vents so it can chug all night and maintain 225-250*.  So there is some skill involved beyond setting a temp controller for the desired temp.  I use the keg primarily for smoking, 225*,  & high temp grilling & searing and for a wood fired pizza oven, 700*.  I don't know of another style cooker that can do the two extremes as well as a Kamado.
For me the Weber excels at grilling high heat quick meals like chicken breasts, salmon filets, hot dogs, brats etc when I don't want to take the time to get the Kamado cleaned out & set up. 
If I had to do it over again I'd go with a kamado, don't know of another cooker that has the versatility.  It's not the best smoker but it can give most a run for their money and then turn around and sear a steak at 700* or become a wood fired pizza oven.  I've even baked bread and cobblers on it, as well as casseroles.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 09:46:04 PM »
Yep, it looks like we have a few in agreement about Kamados! Keg, Primo, Egg, Kamado Joe, Akorn, Vision.....whatever you desire, they all are great cookers!