Author Topic: Costco or Restaurant Depot or Both  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Costco or Restaurant Depot or Both
« Reply #-1 on: September 07, 2016, 09:36:06 AM »
I was at my local Costco yesterday one of the two spots I like to buy meat along with my local butcher. I asked one of the guys I know there how the store was doing & he said well...... but they were worried because Restaurant Depot was moving in next door.

Anyway, I think I have heard about the name but know nothing about them. So I ask are they any good, are they better than Costco? Is it worth being a member of both & what do they bring to the table for customers that Costco does not have? How are there prices & quality?

Thanks in advance Richard
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Costco or Restaurant Depot or Both
« on: September 07, 2016, 09:42:17 AM »
Rest. Depot is a dedicated chain of restaurant oriented big box stores. Very interesting place - often some killer deals on meats. Anything to open an run a cafe can be had there. ANYTHING..... You will love the experience. But - to buy  from them, I think you will need a KCBS membership, or tax license to show that you are in the food business.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 10:41:52 AM »
Rest. Depot is a dedicated chain of restaurant oriented big box stores. Very interesting place - often some killer deals on meats. Anything to open an run a cafe can be had there. ANYTHING..... You will love the experience. But - to buy  from them, I think you will need a KCBS membership, or tax license to show that you are in the food business.

I think our old sous chef said he just used his business card... don't quote me on that but get yourself some chef pants and a coat embroidered with "Tailgater" and I think you can walk right in.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Pappymn

Costco or Restaurant Depot or Both
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 10:55:38 AM »
At mine. You just go ask for a KCBS day pass. They give me a little slip with a number on it that the cashier uses. As Tee said, it is an interesting place. Mine is total chaos.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Gunny

• Salem Or
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »
I was at my local Costco yesterday one of the two spots I like to buy meat along with my local butcher. I asked one of the guys I know there how the store was doing & he said well...... but they were worried because Restaurant Depot was moving in next door.

Anyway, I think I have heard about the name but know nothing about them. So I ask are they any good, are they better than Costco? Is it worth being a member of both & what do they bring to the table for customers that Costco does not have? How are there prices & quality?

Thanks in advance Richard

They said the same thing when Wally World moved in around every Costco they could, virtually little or no effect on sales, different kinda store.  Costco's meat is Choice and Prime, and you can get any quantity you want, talk to the Meat Manager, he can sell you anything from what's in the cases to a whole trailer load if you wish. I personally won't buy from anywhere else....

I might be a little biases given I retired from there... 8)

MAK 2 Star #2619 W/Remote Boss
Traeger Lil Tex....gone down the road
Original Traeger...bought from Joe himself

Offline DWard51

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 09:39:01 PM »
RD will give you an account, but to avoid having to pay the sales tax up front, you must give them a State reseller sales tax exemption number and a copy of your state certificate.  When I set my account up, they had me coded as taxed in the system, but it was an easy fix (I have a reseller number and certificate, they just forgot to click one little box on their screen).  I have heard that pretty much any business can open an account at RD, even without the sales tax exemption documents, you just pay taxes.  You should be able to back it out on your state report, but it makes the accounting a little more difficult (assuming the purchase is for resale and not personal consumption).

The one thing I will say about RD, is the place can be a mad house depending on what time of day you go.  Early in the mornings for me at the Norcross store is totally crazy.  A wide diversity of runners for restaurants pushing multiple pallets stacked (over stacked usually) with all manner of supplies and at least 6 languages being spoken between the various groups.  It's interesting, but not for everyone.  They do have a wide range of products and are very well stocked in meats and seafood.  I can get "dry" U10 sea scallops no problem (try and find "dry" scallops at Sam's or Costco, not going to happen).  Once you have a RD account, you will get the sale circulars and can log in on their website to see current prices, availability and place orders.  But their website is geared towards someone who knows what they are looking at and what they want.  Very little information on specific products like you would find at the Sam's Club or Costco websites.  But they target a different customer also.  Their business is to supply resellers, not help a end consumer decide on item a or item b.  RD had whole shoulder clods for $2.29 a pound last time I looked.  If I had a little more room in the freezer I would be breaking one of those down next weekend.

We used to live up near the Morrow Costco and I loved shopping there.  It's not convienent since we moved and the neighborhood around it has become the dregs of Atlanta (Google Clayton County and their lovely Sheriff Victor Hill - he is famous or rather infamous).  I keep wishing they would build one close to the office or to the house in McDonough (the customers would be there).  But for now it's RD when I plan in advance or need a special item, or the Sam's Club right next to my office on Clairmont Rd or the local one in McDonough when pressed for time or for last minute supply runs.

We also have a big Asian food market on Buford hwy just outside I-285 and a big Mercado market just south of there at the intersection of Buford hwy and Clairmont.   If you have a big Asian food market in your area, you really need to visit it at least once.  You will see things you never knew existed or thought about doing with food.  The DeKalb farmers market is also good for a wide diversity of items.  I'm sure there are others as Atlanta is huge and you can pretty much find anything here, somewhere.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 12:49:31 AM »
Thanks folks I can't wait to see if they take me & take a look when she opens
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Sandman

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 02:33:13 PM »
At mine. You just go ask for a KCBS day pass. They give me a little slip with a number on it that the cashier uses. As Tee said, it is an interesting place. Mine is total chaos.

The one in columbus ohio is in chaos mode everytime I'm there. Have to dodge forklifts!

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 02:36:39 PM »
I guess a half a pond of burger meat won't cut it there  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 05:41:05 PM »
Try getting crawfish @ 7 AM for$1.79/lb because sell our quickly!
I've gotten Prime whole ribeyes & filets @RD  & have  been wonderful.
No small amounts need a floodwater .
love more seafood option than Costco /Sam's.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp