Author Topic: Who Needs a Great Shave?  (Read 5236 times)

Offline hikerman

Who Needs a Great Shave?
« Reply #-1 on: October 11, 2016, 10:46:17 AM »
Didn't know where to post this.....

I have a heavy beard. It grows like a brushfire spreads.....fast! Those cheap throwaway razors just tug on my whiskers and are painful for me to use. So long ago I decided to buy the best blades i could get. I believe they were trac-2's. Then they evolved to 3, 4, and then 5 blades on each razor. Pricey? Blades are so pricey now that they are only sold behind the checkout counter like ciggarettes. Once they got too high in price I bought a Braun electric shaver. The only electric that worked on my beard. Then after many years it died. It was replaced by Mrs H at Christmas a few years back. But last year I saw an ad for Harry's Razors. I ordered their starter kit @ $15.00. It included a razor handle (color of your choice), 3 blades, 1 razor sheath, and 1 btl. of foaming gel.
  The results......Without a doubt, the BEST 15 bucks I've ever spent!  I shave closely every other day, and usually twice a week with my electric, the rest with my Harry's razor. After a year, YES A YEAR, I finally threw my first blade away! These blades kick @$$!  I can't imagine the money I have saved by switching to this brand. Give them a shot. You will be more than happy with your results! Nothing I have ever used comes close in sharpness and length of use!
They are an American Company that has German blade manufacturing. Top-Shelf for less than middle-of-the-road price!

www.harrys.com

Offline Pappymn

Who Needs a Great Shave?
« on: October 11, 2016, 11:24:15 AM »
I got the $15 kit about a month ago. My electric was dying too. I had not blade shaved in probably 25 years. I was really surprised at what a great job the blade did. I shave twice a week, or less.
It really is a great product.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Who Needs a Great Shave?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »
I saw the topic header and was going to mention I use Harry's.  I use the cream with a brush and I also have the foaming gel.  Both are great, and for Christmas last year I got the travel bag ($25 I think).  A little bit smaller than the 30 year old hand-me down travel bag I got from my dad, but it's waterproof and seems to be very well made. 

Harry's usually has a coupon code for first time buyers to get $5 off the starter pack.  Free shipping on orders over $10.  I have to shave a minimum of 3 times a week, and usually change blade every other month.  I should change them every month but I never remember until after I start or am in a rush to finish.  Once I start shaving there is no stopping for anything.

I do do straight blade shaving on weekends when I have a little more time, or when I haven't shaved in a while and it's too long to use a standard razor.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Pappymn

Who Needs a Great Shave?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 12:33:08 PM »
I saw the topic header and was going to mention I use Harry's.  I use the cream with a brush and I also have the foaming gel.  Both are great, and for Christmas last year I got the travel bag ($25 I think).  A little bit smaller than the 30 year old hand-me down travel bag I got from my dad, but it's waterproof and seems to be very well made. 

Harry's usually has a coupon code for first time buyers to get $5 off the starter pack.  Free shipping on orders over $10.  I have to shave a minimum of 3 times a week, and usually change blade every other month.  I should change them every month but I never remember until after I start or am in a rush to finish.  Once I start shaving there is no stopping for anything.

I do do straight blade shaving on weekends when I have a little more time, or when I haven't shaved in a while and it's too long to use a standard razor.
Curious, do you use one of those old style brushes? Did it come from Harry's?
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »
Pappy,  couple years back when I was really getting into the straight blade shave, my Father in Law got me a kit from Art of Shaving and it came in that.  I previously had a badger hair brush I got from Target.  Both work well, the art of shaving one is a bit fluffier than the Target bought one.  From all the research the best brushes use badger hair.  I got a ceramic bowl from Amazon, and if I have time and want to go all out I'll boil some water or a half pot of water through the coffee maker and put the bowl in the sink and let it heat up for a hot shave.  Less time I have I just fill the sink with hot water and put the bowl in there,  shower, then lather up and shave.

We are in our busy time for work so it's more foaming gel post shower and right to bed.  Sundays I use the straight blade and go through the motions of the hot lather.  Wife likes the scruff for Saturday night date night so I keep it for her.  Happy wife, happy life :)
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline rexster314

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 05:43:31 PM »
Couple of years ago I switched from the Gillette Fusion razor to Dollar Shave Club. They worked reasonably well, but in my experience the blades didn't last as long as the Fusion. I was on a subscription for the blades which was handy. This past spring I got the Harry's intro razor and was sold. Blades last longer and the handles are a good balance. I highly recommend the new Harry's razor style as they have rubber/silicone inserts so they won't twist in your wet hands.
Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 720-0856V 8 burner 88,000btu gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Cham

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 05:49:20 PM »
Welp, I just ordered! It'll take a while to get here if the shipping estimate is right but for $15.00 with a free $16.00 after shave gel, I don't mind waiting. Thanks for the recommendation!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pappymn

Who Needs a Great Shave?
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 06:14:52 PM »
Welp, I just ordered! It'll take a while to get here if the shipping estimate is right but for $15.00 with a free $16.00 after shave gel, I don't mind waiting. Thanks for the recommendation!
My shipping time was less than the original estimate. I have also heard that Target has an exclusive to carry some of their products
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

Who Needs a Great Shave?
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 06:17:27 PM »
Pappy,  couple years back when I was really getting into the straight blade shave, my Father in Law got me a kit from Art of Shaving and it came in that.  I previously had a badger hair brush I got from Target.  Both work well, the art of shaving one is a bit fluffier than the Target bought one.  From all the research the best brushes use badger hair.  I got a ceramic bowl from Amazon, and if I have time and want to go all out I'll boil some water or a half pot of water through the coffee maker and put the bowl in the sink and let it heat up for a hot shave.  Less time I have I just fill the sink with hot water and put the bowl in there,  shower, then lather up and shave.

We are in our busy time for work so it's more foaming gel post shower and right to bed.  Sundays I use the straight blade and go through the motions of the hot lather.  Wife likes the scruff for Saturday night date night so I keep it for her.  Happy wife, happy life :)
I just ordered a badger hair brush and a stainless steel bowl from Amazon. I see they sell shaving soap which I have no familiarity with. I'll stick with the Harry's gel that came with it for now
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RAD

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 06:21:16 PM »
I have been looking for a better shave at a better cost. Is this an automatic reorder system that has to be turned off?
Love to cook and eat

Offline Pappymn

Who Needs a Great Shave?
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 06:35:45 PM »
I have been looking for a better shave at a better cost. Is this an automatic reorder system that has to be turned off?
You can do either automatic or manual orders.

I think what these new companies in this business are confirming what we all knew. Gillette has been screwing us for decades
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 06:54:01 PM »
You can do either automatic or manual orders.

I think what these new companies in this business are confirming what we all knew. Gillette has been screwing us for decades

Amen to that Pappy! That's what happens when you're the only brand! Corporate thievery is what it truly is!

Offline RAD

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 06:58:04 PM »
Just ordered mine and using code LEYKIS5 I got After Shave Moisturizer
Large - 4oz for free. Thanks hikerman for posting this. I have been getting real tired of paying out the $$$ for razors and with all of the adds lately I wasn't sure which blades really worked.
Love to cook and eat

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 07:54:22 PM »
Just ordered mine and using code LEYKIS5 I got After Shave Moisturizer
Large - 4oz for free. Thanks hikerman for posting this. I have been getting real tired of paying out the $$$ for razors and with all of the adds lately I wasn't sure which blades really worked.

RAD glad to pass along good products to friends anytime. I assure you that will be happy with your results.

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 08:16:53 PM »
There are a TON of different codes out there. Some say they are for $5 off but they all just give you the after shave lotion. It's free so why not?
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!