Author Topic: Expanded metal Home Depot  (Read 2415 times)

Offline John Schoenauer

Re: Expanded metal Home Depot
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 08:41:30 PM »
Ok, I've spent 2 hours researching and calling Home Depot customer service. The info I received from my receipt and the info from there customer service is that this is bare metal it is the only type of expanded metal sold in the store that I bought it from. On Home Depots website i entered the skew and the info is vague there is a California warning on it which when you open talks about wood dust causing cancer not sure why that was on there maybe for the cardboard that it comes in? The best I can tell is that it is ok to use. I did submit a formal question if it is food safe on there website. BTW it does state on the box that it's American made

Since steel is what I do I thought I would chime in. Expanded metal is made from sheet steel. I looked on HD website and noticed "Finish Family, Silver Metallic" is your piece silver? If it is un-coated it would be grey in color. I would not use any thing not stainless steel or chrome coated to put food on and might have concerns about using coated material for a charcoal basket.
Hope this helps
John Schoenauer

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 08:49:40 PM »
BTW it does state on the box that it's American made

If this is true, it's a step in the right direction IMHO. But does still not mean it is food grade material because it shows a picture of a grill

"If this is true" you don't believe that?
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 08:54:26 PM »
Ok, I've spent 2 hours researching and calling Home Depot customer service. The info I received from my receipt and the info from there customer service is that this is bare metal it is the only type of expanded metal sold in the store that I bought it from. On Home Depots website i entered the skew and the info is vague there is a California warning on it which when you open talks about wood dust causing cancer not sure why that was on there maybe for the cardboard that it comes in? The best I can tell is that it is ok to use. I did submit a formal question if it is food safe on there website. BTW it does state on the box that it's American made

Thanks John it's Silver coated not grey
Since steel is what I do I thought I would chime in. Expanded metal is made from sheet steel. I looked on HD website and noticed "Finish Family, Silver Metallic" is your piece silver? If it is un-coated it would be grey in color. I would not use any thing not stainless steel or chrome coated to put food on and might have concerns about using coated material for a charcoal basket.
Hope this helps
John Schoenauer
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline GG-STL

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 09:01:50 PM »
Hope this helps
John Schoenauer

John what is the problem with using stainless steel for a grill grate ?

Thanks GG
GG-STL

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »
Please allow me to apologize to everyone for possibly making this into a "witch hunt". I don't want Tom to feel put on the spot about it. I think the mod is great. And...I also think it is up to each individual to research a product - and decide on the product's suitability for them. And frankly I should have done, if I had a question about the material of choice. ;)

Tom showed us an idea. There may be other materials that could be used the same way. Think about all of the fine wire cooling racks you see in stores. One of those and a pair of wire cutters, and I think you could accomplish the task - and with a product you are probably more comfortable.

So - lets try and re-focus on the great idea the Tom has given us. And that we can use different materials if we choose to. ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline John Schoenauer

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 10:39:46 PM »
Hope this helps
John Schoenauer

John what is the problem with using stainless steel for a grill grate ?

Thanks GG

I think that came out wrong. It should have been I wouldn't use anything that is not stainless steel or good chrome plated material. Since plating is put on the steel with heat it will come off when heated and you probably don't want the fumes in your food.
Thanks
John Schoenauer